The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol 2012 applicants !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spyda666
i went to a visit day yesterday, however i got the feeling that the majority of people applying were from private/independent schools, i even got asked this question as to what type of school i went, i thought that was kinda weird? Do you think it is just a bunch of posh gits who go there?? or am i just prejudicing?

Not everyone. I go to a comprehensive in Wales.:tongue:
I certainly know what you mean though. On the accommodation bus on the Open Day, I felt like I was surrounded by 'rah'-type English people that all had the same accent.:s-smilie:
I'm sure it's not commonplace, but the ones sitting behind me seemed to be, as you say, "posh gits". They were talking about what cars their parents were buying them, and mocking their friend who wasn't there because she was "too thick".:eek:

I'm not bothered too much about it though. They'll be plenty of people who weren't privately educated, and what kind of school someone went to doesn't affect how nice they are.:smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1981
Original post by Bea492
Where are you deciding between? Kings and Bristol?

King's, Bristol and Warwick :frown:
Reply 1982
Original post by Olive12
King's, Bristol and Warwick :frown:

It's a tough choice. Have you visited them all yet? I think you should go with wherever you feel most at home. King's won't give a huge advantage over a Bristol or Warwick graduate, despite the A*AA requirement. All are very good Universities.

I'm currently trying to make a choice too, it's so hard! Also frustrating because I don't have all my decisions *cough* Bristol *cough*.

I'm sure you'll love wherever you end up though :biggrin:
Reply 1983
Hey there Bristol applicants! :smile:
I will probably firm Bristol, but have no idea about accommodation. Do you know where the best place to live is in Bristol?
Reply 1984
Original post by PipGrove
Hey there Bristol applicants! :smile:
I will probably firm Bristol, but have no idea about accommodation. Do you know where the best place to live is in Bristol?

Hi there! There's a thread for any questions about accommodation, there's a few people that go Bristol on here and they'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have. You should definitely ask them since they'll tell you things that the university won't.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81178

Also, on the university's website, there is information on costs of accommodation and what each hall is like

For the different halls: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/guide/residences/

Accommodation fees: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/guide/residences/fees.html

Depends what you're looking for in a hall at the end of the day, whether it's facilities, social life etc

I'd probably going to go for Manor, Goldney and University halls (based on what I've heard)
(edited 12 years ago)
Guys please advise me!
I have the following offers:

MSc Accounting Finance & Management - University of Bristol
MSc Accounting & Finance- University of Durham.

I am damn confused about which one to choose, both are well reputed and highly ranked. Please advise about which Uni has greater global career prospects? Which programme should i opt for?
Original post by smilinggtearss
Guys please advise me!
I have the following offers:

MSc Accounting Finance & Management - University of Bristol
MSc Accounting & Finance- University of Durham.

I am damn confused about which one to choose, both are well reputed and highly ranked. Please advise about which Uni has greater global career prospects? Which programme should i opt for?

According to the QS world rankings, Bristol is regarded better by world wide employers than Durham (and I would think Bristol has a better international reputation than Durham, But Durham may have a slightly better UK rep-depended on subject though):

http://www.university-list.net/rank/univ-100026.html
Dear Jackkkkk
Thanks for your input, the latest 2012 rankings show that both universities are on the same rank- 15th employability wise in the world, however durham has had higher rankings- (3rd in UK by sunday times, and generally 5-6th position overall if we talk generally), however Bristol rank lies somewhere between 10-15th in UK,

I agree with you that Bristol probably has more international reputation, but current rankings are really creating this confusion, what do you suggest me, I need to submit my deposit tomorrow!

Thanks
Reply 1988
Can't wait for the visit tommorow! Anyone else that's going looking forward to it? :biggrin:
I'm going to the maths department visit tomorrow :smile:
Reply 1990
Hi! :smile:
I've got a conditional offer from Bristol, and, since I live in France, they asked me a 15/20 overall at the french baccalauréat.

I'll pass the exams in June, and I'm not sure of getting the grade required. If ever the final grade is between 14 and 15, do you think they'll still accept me?

(A 15 it's not easy to get since it's an average of 10 marks of 9 subjects :/)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1991
Original post by rachel0593
I'm going to the maths department visit tomorrow :smile:

How did you find it? I ended up getting lost on more than one occassion :tongue:
Original post by Hemzo
How did you find it? I ended up getting lost on more than one occassion :tongue:

How was it?!
Original post by Hemzo

It was good, a bit rainy though. It was pretty interesting. How about you, apart from getting lost!
Reply 1994
Original post by -Illmatic-
How was it?!

Original post by rachel0593
It was good, a bit rainy though. It was pretty interesting. How about you, apart from getting lost!

It was really good! The university and town seem like a very vibrant place and the economics course has a lot of maths, so the course looks very appealing to me. People are really nice too! I guess I could see myself studying here, but I'm probably going to check out Bath first before I make my final choice. Think I would have enjoyed it more had I not been so tired!

Btw Ill, did an econometric lecturer do some sort of weather statistic about people who firm their Bristol offers with you guys? :tongue:
Original post by Hemzo
It was really good! The university and town seem like a very vibrant place and the economics course has a lot of maths, so the course looks very appealing to me. People are really nice too! I guess I could see myself studying here, but I'm probably going to check out Bath first before I make my final choice. Think I would have enjoyed it more had I not been so tired!

Btw Ill, did an econometric lecturer do some sort of weather statistic about people who firm their Bristol offers with you guys? :tongue:

Yeah it's definately the best area of bristol to be, there's always stuff going on. I actually just firmed bath and declined bristol tonight cause I had unconditional offers. I do like bristol uni though, if a few things were different I would probably have firmed them instead. Guess I will have to stop posting on this thread now :biggrin:
8 days on from my offer and I still get goosebumps/so excited i could burst when I remember that I have an achievable offer from Brizzle. I can't wait to meet you all.. let's make it the best 3+ years ever! aWOOHOO!
Has anyone received a reply from Bristol for Hispanic Studies yet?
I applied on the 10th of October and I still haven't heard back from them! It's my last Uni to hear back from and I'm getting impatient now.
I would be grateful to hear back from any other Hispanic hopefuls :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1998
Original post by jessicaballam
Has anyone received a reply from Bristol for Hispanic Studies yet?
I applied on the 10th of October and I still haven't heard back from them! It's my last Uni to hear back from and I'm getting impatient now.
I would be grateful to hear back from any other Hispanic hopefuls :smile:

Oh thank god you have posted! I applied on the 15th of October for Hispanic Studies and still haven't heard!! My last uni too... I am getting more frustrated and impatient by the HOUR!

Where else have you applied?
Original post by thegenius31416
I am only an applicant with an offer for the course so I obviously don't know anything but what I would probably think is that they have a limited number of places on the year abroad in France variation of the course. Also, as it says, you need to have knowledge of French to AS-Level to be considered for L101.

However, it may be possible for you to do a year abroad if firstly you take the required modules in the language centre and second, if someone decides not to do their year abroad or they have spare spaces.

Are you going to a post-offer open day? If so, I'm sure they'll be someone to ask there. If not, email a relevant person from Bristol (if you're not sure who, just email undergraduate admissions or something and then ask for the email to be passed on to whom it may concern).

Good luck :smile:

Original post by FuzzySheep
I would go and ask on the visit-day, or email them about it. :smile: If they don't think it's possible, then you always have the choice to do an Erasmus year/term. Best of luck, hope you can do it!

Thank you guys (sorry it's a bit late)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending