The Student Room Group

TSR Bowed Strings Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hamsters have a habit of doing that...its like they know.

for th nxt three weeks i only have 3 free days!

the itinerary:

fri: piano recital
sat: violin lsn, 4hr orch rehersal, quartet competition
sun: 6hr orch rehersal at skl
mon: concert to skl ppl
tue: rehersal in evening at skl
wed: evening rehersal at skl
thu: choral and orchestral concert involving playing a solo that has been run thru once so far!
fri: piano lsn
sat: playing Bachs double violin concerto in morning concert, another choral and orchestra concert in evening (solo again)
sun: FREEEEEE!!!!
mon:FREEEEEE!!!!
tues: rehersal for secret leaving concert which im organising, hosting and playing in twice!
wed: dress rehersal for slc
thu: real slc
fri: piano lsn
sat: FREEEE!!!
sun: HSSO course
mon: HSSO
tues: HSSO
wed: HSSO concert

and inbetween all that iv got to learn the solo stuff the HSSO has sent me thru the post and have some kind of social life....and of course the general practice stuff! i think a list of repetoire for all that would cover three pages!
Reply 101
Hi everyone! Have been in this soc for quite a while now but always forgot to post... so sorry!
Anyhows, did grade 8 with distinction on the violin - anyone planning to do a diploma on the violin? Can you actually do one when you're in uni? Cause I'm leaving school this year... :biggrin: yay!
Reply 102
messica

Let that be a lesson to all of you. Alto clef rules!

So true!

Can I join, I too am a viola, Grade 6 (hopefully!!) ABRSM
It's such a pig, but hey, suffering for your art and all :rolleyes: !
Reply 103
greeniev
Anyhows, did grade 8 with distinction on the violin - anyone planning to do a diploma on the violin? Can you actually do one when you're in uni? Cause I'm leaving school this year... :biggrin: yay!

Me too! I just found out last week! :biggrin: :biggrin: We now belong to the exclusive G8D club :p: I'm really pleased about that :smile:

I don't know if you can do a diploma in higher education, but if you can, I will...

By the way, I've decided not to dig up Meditation or anything for the audition next Monday - I'm going to play the Brahms A sonata movement again, as I got a high mark for it and I absolutely adore the piece (as I do all Brahms).
Reply 104
Lol. Did you do your exam at the end of this term then? congratz! :biggrin:

Yeah, I really want to. The guy who accompanied me for my grade 8 suggested I should do that, but my violin teacher was like, you won't need it and blah blah blah. But I might just do it anyhow :wink:

I LOVE meditation. I played that so long ago, but I'm sure I'll at some point play it again... what pieces did you play for your grade8 btw? I did the Brahms Sonatensatz as well, and the Mozart 3rd mvt of the g major concerto and the Bartok :proud:
Reply 105
You don't have to be at a certain place to do a dip, just start preparing for it.

You can do it whenever.
Reply 106
bohemian

Messica, Dominant strings? Really? I hate them...now I use Eudoxa GDA and Goldbrokat E. With Dominants, you don't know if they will last a week or a year, they're so unpredictable, and they make your fingers really black. The only thing I miss is being able to play really really loud on the G string, which gut strings don't appreciate so much.

Dunno what they're like for the violin, but for the viola they're brilliant. Good for the big beefy sound of sex we're so famous for. Mmmmmm

:hello: Hello Kezalou!! Good luck for your Grade 6, what are you playing? xx
Reply 107
I did, I did it the Thursday before last :smile: thanks!

Violin teachers are like that. Mine told me a couple of years ago that I wouldn't really have a chance of going to a top top music college... it was really disheartening (it was also true, but that was beside the point). He was really encouraging for my Grade 8, though.

I didn't play the Sonatensatz, it was the last movement of the A major, although I should imagine they're similar in feel - to me anyway, as I have a chemical addiction to the Brahms symphonies. It feels really nice when you get the ebb and flow just right, and those gentle resolutions... *drools*

My other two pieces were the Bach D minor gigue (Partita no. 2), with which I earnt a 17/20 I *really* didn't deserve, and the Romanza from Wieniawski's second concerto (yes, that one).

I'm playing the first movement of the Mozart G major for my A level recital :smile:
Reply 108
messica
Dunno what they're like for the violin, but for the viola they're brilliant. Good for the big beefy sound of sex we're so famous for. Mmmmmm

Hmm... my string experience has been:

Dominants, very stable and reliable, and sound nice, although not the *very* best

Eudoxa, not tried them but apparently they're quite weak and not the sound or feel I'd like - good if you don't want to be heard

Evah Pirazzi (what I'm using at the moment) - similar to Dominants in structure and sound like Dominants but sweeter. I really like them - they feel soft but positive under the fingers and sound lovely - but they take about a week before they lose their metallic-sounding 'edge'. They're also not very durable - I get through an E string every nine months or so because they go false quickly. Not a string to destroy with a metal mute!
Reply 109
Jonathan
I did, I did it the Thursday before last :smile: thanks!

Violin teachers are like that. Mine told me a couple of years ago that I wouldn't really have a chance of going to a top top music college... it was really disheartening (it was also true, but that was beside the point). He was really encouraging for my Grade 8, though.

I didn't play the Sonatensatz, it was the last movement of the A major, although I should imagine they're similar in feel - to me anyway, as I have a chemical addiction to the Brahms symphonies. It feels really nice when you get the ebb and flow just right, and those gentle resolutions... *drools*

My other two pieces were the Bach D minor gigue (Partita no. 2), with which I earnt a 17/20 I *really* didn't deserve, and the Romanza from Wieniawski's second concerto (yes, that one).

I'm playing the first movement of the Mozart G major for my A level recital :smile:

:biggrin: weird. In my school they always do it at the end of term... guess it's different for proper music schools...

Oh god poor you. Do you want to study music at uni then?

Oh... weird I confuse so much these days... :p:

I love the Romanza by Wieniawski! It'S just sooo beautiful...

good luck with that then! WHen do you have that recital?
Reply 110
Jonny: Congrats on the G8D!! :biggrin: And also...
Eudoxa...good if you don't want to be heard

Well, yes...that is my main reason...saves practicing orchestral music :P Seriously, they are powerful, IF you know how to use them, I thought they were pants at first because they seemed weak, but once I started using my bow slightly differently I figured how you can make them sound sweet, but scaryily loud at the same time. And when I want to play loud...I play loud. Loud enough to be kicked out of a practice room by someone on the floor below for playing too "enthusiastically" :rolleyes: I would play viola than use Dominant strings now (well maybe not, but you get my drift). And Goldbrokat Es are beautiful. I just wish gut would stay in tune.

Greeniev: I'm doing my DipABRSM in December (touch wood fingers crossed etc), and probably will prepare for about 4/5 months for it beforehand. Already mucking around with Mozart 3 and Beethoven Spring Sonata in anticipation. You can do it whenever as long as you have G8.

I'm doing another concerto, yay! Vivaldi for 4 violins in B minor, with orchestra. And I got an NSSO scholarship and EMI award, and playing at a wedding next week :smile: Now if only I could actually find a piece which I can play....
Reply 111
Nice one! Good luck with that then!

Can you check on the internet which pieces you're supposed to play? Cause I can't be bothered to actually ask my music teachers... :p:
Are you doing the Mozart violin concerto in g then (if you meant that with "mozart 3")? I really like that Beethoven sonata... always makes me feel really - happy... :laugh:

Interesting! A concerto with 4 solo violins... how cool... :wink:

Haha. My cousin's marrying this summer and I really want to play something... :biggrin:
Reply 112
Hey messica! :smile:

i'm playing faures' sicillienne, Fioccos' allegro, and the dance of the princesses from Stravinskys' firebird, They're evil I swear!

What's everyone else doing, exams, concerts?
Reply 113
Greeniev, the syllabus for DipABRSM and ATCL is on the net somewhere, but I don't have the link, sorry. There is loads of choice though, especially for the DipABRSM. I am doing Mozart Concerto in G major, yup, but teaching myself as a sort of leaving present to my teacher, I'm going to play it in the "Leavers' Concert" in May :smile: Spring Sonata is beautiful, but really hard to get sounding "easy", if you get me. I don't know what else I will play if I do the Dip (consultation lesson with new teacher tomorrow to see how likely it is).
Reply 114
Okey :smile:
I can never be bothered to sort of get me into teaching myself :wink:
What a coincidence though; we don't have a Leavers' Concert, but we've got the summer concert and the director of music has asked all leavers to play something :biggrin: am playing the 3rd mvt of the Bruch concerto in g minor and can't wait to play it with the orchestra! The last time I've played a concerto was when I was I think 11 and played a double soli concerto with a cellist :p:
Reply 115
Reply 116
cheers! :biggrin:
Reply 117
...and you can get the ATCL syllabus from the link on the right of this page..

http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=279
Reply 118
greeniev
:biggrin: weird. In my school they always do it at the end of term... guess it's different for proper music schools...

Oh god poor you. Do you want to study music at uni then?

good luck with that then! WHen do you have that recital?

Assuming that's you - where do you go then? We're meant to be a 'performing arts beacon school' but the total in the AS and A2 music sets is 9 people :p:

Oh, no, not doing music next year - I'm an ICer :biggrin:

Thanks! The recital is on the 21st, I think. I'm doing the Sam Franko cadenza of the Mozart - how about you Bohemian, and greeniev (assuming you've done the first movement)?
Reply 119
Jonathan
Thanks! The recital is on the 21st, I think. I'm doing the Sam Franko cadenza of the Mozart - how about you Bohemian, and greeniev (assuming you've done the first movement)?

I'm actually studying a different cadenza - don't ask which, I don't know myself - but I prefer the Franko, because it plays to my strengths. Can you get it serparately, or do I need to borrow/photocopy it for now? I'm using an Urtext so I was slightly suprised to see a different cadenza, since Franko is standard. Jonny, when is our chamber orchestra concert, and when are the rehearsals for it? :confused:
Had a lesson with my teacher-to-be (2 hours long!) and I'm definitely doing my Dip in December. Unfortunately, apparently I should be doing 2 hours technical work every day in the meantime :eek: Kill me now!

Quick Reply

Latest