Law (LLB) 2011 University of Manchester Students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, Yes I am staying at Weston Hall!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
hey every1.. i am also going to do llb law in university of manchester.. Could any1 tell me which area will suit me the best as i am looking for a catered room only for girls. Please tell me which area will b the closest and the most convenient to the School of Law at a affordable price.. Thanx to all..
Hi everyone, the Manchester University Law Society are currently getting everything prepared for you law freshers to descend on Manchester so watch this space and I will post a link to a facebook group telling you what to expect, hopefully this will also help you meet as many fellow law freshers as possible. The link should be up around the same time you receive your admissions leaflets from the University as we are sending out the link to the page in that pack. In the mean time ask any questions you might have and get excited about September!
Reply 23
anyone know how we get our timetables or booklist
Hey everyone, the group is up and running so join it here!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/132664560146205/
Original post by jethanchan
anyone know how we get our timetables or booklist

Hi Jet,

You can find the timetable here http://www.law.manchester.ac.uk/manlaw/registration/ug_courses/returning_students/timetabling/index.htm

All the red subjects are first year modules. You don't need to buy any books before you get to Manchester, in the first week everything is just introductory and you will be told then which books to buy for each module. It is best to wait until you arrive so that you can look at the different options and buy the book you think will suit you best as there are usually a few different books recommended for each module but you are only required to buy one.
Reply 26
thx:smile:
Reply 27

around how much (estimated) do you think we need for first year books?
Original post by SnapperJR
around how much (estimated) do you think we need for first year books?

Erm this depends on how clever/lucky you are and how many you buy. There are 6 modules so if you bought one brand new book for each module it would be around £30 for each book so £180. However, if there is not a new edition of a book coming out this year then it will be cheaper to buy a second hand version of last year's edition from an older student or just from amazon/ebay. I found a few good deals on amazon/ebay and they are always cheaper than the Uni book shop Blackwells. You need to make sure you are buying the most up to date textbook as well or you can end up with completely out of date law but if you are lucky and the newest edition was last year you should be able to get a lot of them cheaper. I would also advise to only buy one book per module and to get extra ones from the library as and when you need them.
Reply 29
A lot of great information being talked about on here!

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on a few questions.

1. What to expect during freshers week?
2. Is there a lot of international students (Canada)
3. I am staying at Weston Hall, anyone here any reviews or been there themselves?
Reply 30
im changing from weston to parkway gate@@
Reply 31

you can change? accommodation office flat out denied me telling me to wait til im there and try and change
Original post by Canada333

3. I am staying at Weston Hall, anyone here any reviews or been there themselves?

Hi there,
I'm on the Law Society committee (MULS) for next year so I'll try answer some of your questions but if you also find the facebook group 'Manchester University Law Freshers 2011/2012' and post your questions in there you should get a few responses, the President of the society is actually Canadian so he could probably help you a lot!

1) In freshers week expect lots of fun, lots of new friends, not much sleep and lots of going out and partying (that's if you choose do join in with that). Law wise, there is going to be an introductory day on Monday 19th where you meet your student mentor, have a few introductory lectures, do a campus tour and attend a drinks reception. During the rest of the week you are unlikely to have anything too academic to do.

2) There are definitely quite a few Canadians doing Law, I know that there is one student house that is nicknamed the Canadian Embassy because every year it is rented out by Canadian students and then passed down year to year to more Canadian students so you should fit right in!

3) I don't know much about Weston Hall as it is City Centre Campus and I lived in Fallowfield last year

Hope that helps!
Reply 33
Original post by Canada333

hey ! i'm staying at weston hall, and i'm from canada (Toronto) Glad im not the only one
Reply 34
Original post by Drew77
hey ! i'm staying at weston hall, and i'm from canada (Toronto) Glad im not the only one

Hey ! Yea there seems to be quite a bit from Canada the more and more I network with people! Should be a great experience. I am looking forward to it! What made you decide on Weston Hall?
Reply 35
well im changing to private so i guess its possible: o but i think ill lose the deposit on weston
Reply 36
Original post by Blondie_Florence

3) I don't know much about Weston Hall as it is City Centre Campus and I lived in Fallowfield last year

Hope that helps!

I'm glad to hear that Law students have stayed in Fallowfield. From my exp on tsr, it looked like almost everyone chose the city/vic campus and I was afraid that I'd unwittingly isolated myself :s-smilie:

Could you tell me more about what it's like going to law lectures and stuff from fallowfield? Do you take the bus? How long does it take to get there? What about Law libraries (or anything like that), are they easily accessible?

I'm also quite curious to know if you had time for other activities, maybe a sport or a club (completely unrelated to Law) or a language class? Or is Law so demanding that trying to sign up for anything unrelated is as good as impossible?

And also, I'm interested in the study abroad programmes. I think I should start off by asking whether it's actually possible for someone who's only doing LLB(hons) by itself (No LLB + French etc).

erm not sure if I should post this here or on fb... ^^;

Thanks so much for helping us out here! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by jjo92
I'm glad to hear that Law students have stayed in Fallowfield. From my exp on tsr, it looked like almost everyone chose the city/vic campus and I was afraid that I'd unwittingly isolated myself :s-smilie:

Could you tell me more about what it's like going to law lectures and stuff from fallowfield? Do you take the bus? How long does it take to get there? What about Law libraries (or anything like that), are they easily accessible?

I'm also quite curious to know if you had time for other activities, maybe a sport or a club (completely unrelated to Law) or a language class? Or is Law so demanding that trying to sign up for anything unrelated is as good as impossible?

And also, I'm interested in the study abroad programmes. I think I should start off by asking whether it's actually possible for someone who's only doing LLB(hons) by itself (No LLB + French etc).

Hi! I'm also doing Law and I'm staying at Fallowfield. I'm Singaporean though, and most of the other Singaporeans going to Manchester are staying at city/vic park campuses. So I was also hoping I didn't just make a horrible accommodation choice. lol.

Anyway, I'm staying at Richmond Park. Where would you be staying? :smile:
Original post by jjo92

Hi, ye start posting everything on facebook for the best answers as I'm just a one man team here whereas there's loads of us to help out on facebook!

Don't worry you've made a solid choice picking fallowfield, it really is such a sociable place and there was plenty of law people living there last year. The main reason you won't have seen many people on here yet living there is that English A Level results don't come out until August 18th so many students won't know where they are living yet or even if they have got in! For some reason a lot of international students seem to live nearer to the city/victoria park, victoria park makes sense if you enjoy your sleep and don't like going out clubbing etc. as much and the city centre is in a really good location for being near to things but Fallowfield is its own mini student community with shops and bars and local legends so you will not miss out!

From fallowfield you will most likely get the bus with everyone else! There is a massive bus stop next to the campus where buses come literally every few minutes during the day and then drive down through the uni campus and into the city centre. To get to most of your law lectures it will take between 15 and 25 minutes on the bus, sometimes even quicker as it is really a 10 min journey but it is just traffic and the sheer number of people getting the bus that adds the time on. I would advise getting a unirider when you arrive in Manchester, they will be selling them when you move in to halls, they cost around 175 last year but they are really worth it as you can use them on magicbus and stagecoach the two main bus companies in Manchester and you can go everywhere on them and the buses run almost 24/7 so most people even get buses home from a club!

There is just one main library at Manchester called the John Rylands Library and that is where you will find all your law books, it is located near most of the law lecture theatres on Oxford Road so you won't have any trouble getting to it. Even if you are doing some crazy all night revision near to exams you will likely find some other lawyer in the library who you can get the bus home with!

You will definitely have time to do other things, the contact time for Law is relatively low and you can definitely still get good grades in first year without working a crazy amount of hours. I came out with a 66% average and I really didn't put too much effort in except for around exam time and I know a lot of people who play a sport/are in the dance society/do other random hobbies. I would say that extra-curriculars are actually very important as when you go for jobs employers like to see you have a life outside of law. That said, if you are interested in playing sports it could be good to join the law school sports teams so you can meet fellow lawyers.

You will definitely be able to do study abroad if you want to. It is usually for one semester in your second year and you will be told all about whilst you are in your first year at Manchester. You usually have to apply for a place and meet certain grade requirements for the most competitive programmes (usually the US/Australia) but you will be told all about it in due course.

Hope that helps, but like I said get posting in the facebook group so you can get the best advice and more people can see it to help them too!
Original post by dagr816292
Hi! I'm also doing Law and I'm staying at Fallowfield. I'm Singaporean though, and most of the other Singaporeans going to Manchester are staying at city/vic park campuses. So I was also hoping I didn't just make a horrible accommodation choice. lol.

Anyway, I'm staying at Richmond Park. Where would you be staying? :smile:

I stayed in RP last year, good choice!! I wouldn't worry about being in fallowfield, as long as you are willing to be social and stuff you should have a great time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending