The Student Room Group

Narrowing down Law options

I'm a Year 12 student studying psychology, philosophy and politics at A level. I'm currently between studying law or psychology at uni and I need some help narrowing down my options for law, so I can book open days.

The unis I'm interested in applying to for law are:
University of York - Law LLB (definitely applying to)
King's College London - Law LLB (definitely applying to)
University of Birmingham - Law LLB or LLB International Law and Globalisation (definitely applying to)
University of Manchester - LLB Law (probably applying to)
University of Leeds - Law LLB (maybe applying to)
University of Nottingham - Law LLB (maybe applying to)
University College London - Law LLB (maybe applying to)
University of Warwick - Law LLB (maybe applying to)
University of Edinburgh - Law and International Relations LLB (maybe applying to)
University of Cambridge - BA Law (maybe applying to)

I live in London, so travelling to UCL and KCL is not a problem and I will be attending both of them for open days. I will also definitely be going to York and Birmingham, but I need help narrowing down my other options. I will not be going to Edinburgh for their open day as it's too far, but ideally I wouldn't want to go too far, since it will cost more money. For psychology, I would want to go to Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham as well, so I'm considering those even though I'm not sure I want to apply their because of their entry requirements and contextual offers. I like Warwick and Cambridge, but I don't think I can meet their entry requirements and may not apply, since they're more competitive. Ideally, I would only want to pick two other unis outside of London to visit (not including York, Birmingham or Edinburgh). It would really help if any offer holders, prospective applicants who have been to their open day or former or current students could give me some insight as to whether it's worth going to their open days!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bibachu
I'm a Year 12 student studying psychology, philosophy and politics at A level. I'm currently between studying law or psychology at uni and I need some help narrowing down my options for law, so I can book open days.

University of Birmingham - Law LLB or LLB International Law and Globalisation (definitely applying to)
University of Edinburgh - Law and International Relations LLB (maybe applying to)

I live in London, so travelling to UCL and KCL is not a problem and I will be attending both of them for open days. I will also definitely be going to York and Birmingham, but I need help narrowing down my other options. I will not be going to Edinburgh for their open day as it's too far, but ideally I wouldn't want to go too far, since it will cost more money. For psychology, I would want to go to Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham as well, so I'm considering those even though I'm not sure I want to apply their because of their entry requirements and contextual offers. I like Warwick and Cambridge, but I don't think I can meet their entry requirements and may not apply, since they're more competitive. Ideally, I would only want to pick two other unis outside of London to visit (not including York, Birmingham or Edinburgh). It would really help if any offer holders, prospective applicants who have been to their open day or former or current students could give me some insight as to whether it's worth going to their open days!

Heyyy, your options seem really good! I’ve applied to go to university this year and I’ve been to a few open days. I say definitely try and go to some of their open days, it’s good to go there and see if you like the uni environment and see if you can envision yourself studying there next year. If you can’t travel to the university, try check their websites to see if they hold virtual open days since I know a lot of universities has started doing that ever since Covid. Also, to help narrow down your options, look at the modules each uni cover in their law degree and see if you’d enjoy studying them and which ones appease you most. Hope this helps! Good luck with applying to university next year!
Reply 2
Original post by dee7xz
Heyyy, your options seem really good! I’ve applied to go to university this year and I’ve been to a few open days. I say definitely try and go to some of their open days, it’s good to go there and see if you like the uni environment and see if you can envision yourself studying there next year. If you can’t travel to the university, try check their websites to see if they hold virtual open days since I know a lot of universities has started doing that ever since Covid. Also, to help narrow down your options, look at the modules each uni cover in their law degree and see if you’d enjoy studying them and which ones appease you most. Hope this helps! Good luck with applying to university next year!
Thank u sm and good luck with your applications! I think I’ve narrowed it down to four open days in June (2 for both subjects and 2 just for law) and the rest will depend on which course I end up choosing.
Reply 3
Original post by bibachu
Thank u sm and good luck with your applications! I think I’ve narrowed it down to four open days in June (2 for both subjects and 2 just for law) and the rest will depend on which course I end up choosing.

Seems like your set then, well done! Good luck with your A-levels and uni applications :smile:
Original post by bibachu
hiiii im first year law at leeds atm- i would so definitely recomend it! Mainly because the law society we have here is super good they do a lotttt of events like networking and then just social ones and the course itself is really well structured. If you cant attend an open day the campus is easy to just walk onto and look around (super close to york as well if you're looking there too) If you have any questions abt anything i can answer im happy to - mainly abt leeds or birmingham that you mentioned because those are 2 of the ones i had offers from :smile:
Original post by bibachu
Yeah I have an offer for international law and globalisation. Essentially you’re studying mandatory international law modules + you have extra modules regular students won’t get so you’re gonna be more qualified for international law.

You also have a mandatory year abroad but you’ll have priority with where you want to study. I’ll tell you what first year is like next year.
Reply 6
Original post by alisparrow
hiiii im first year law at leeds atm- i would so definitely recomend it! Mainly because the law society we have here is super good they do a lotttt of events like networking and then just social ones and the course itself is really well structured. If you cant attend an open day the campus is easy to just walk onto and look around (super close to york as well if you're looking there too) If you have any questions abt anything i can answer im happy to - mainly abt leeds or birmingham that you mentioned because those are 2 of the ones i had offers from :smile:
That's really good to know thank you! I'm reconsidering applying to LNAT universities so Leeds and Birmingham are both maybes on my list. I'm curious, what made you pick Leeds over Birmingham? I really love the Birmingham course but I'm extremely worried about my safety there, even though I'm from London. With Leeds, I looked over the course again yesterday and I actually really liked the modules, but my problem there is that I feel like there's no point in applying, since to remain eligible for their Access to Leeds offer of AAB, I would have to firm Leeds and there's other universities I like more. What are the people on your course like? I know the university itself isn't amazingly diverse socio-economically but I'm curious to know more about the types of people on the law course itself. Thank you so much for the insight!!
Reply 7
Original post by nelson585
Yeah I have an offer for international law and globalisation. Essentially you’re studying mandatory international law modules + you have extra modules regular students won’t get so you’re gonna be more qualified for international law.
You also have a mandatory year abroad but you’ll have priority with where you want to study. I’ll tell you what first year is like next year.
Oh, in that case I'll probably apply for the standalone law course, as I'm not really interested in a year abroad. Congrats on your offer and hope first year goes well for you!
Original post by bibachu
That's really good to know thank you! I'm reconsidering applying to LNAT universities so Leeds and Birmingham are both maybes on my list. I'm curious, what made you pick Leeds over Birmingham? I really love the Birmingham course but I'm extremely worried about my safety there, even though I'm from London. With Leeds, I looked over the course again yesterday and I actually really liked the modules, but my problem there is that I feel like there's no point in applying, since to remain eligible for their Access to Leeds offer of AAB, I would have to firm Leeds and there's other universities I like more. What are the people on your course like? I know the university itself isn't amazingly diverse socio-economically but I'm curious to know more about the types of people on the law course itself. Thank you so much for the insight!!

For me i found leeds to just be a friendlier and safer city, even though birmingham wouldve been about 3 hours closer to home for me hahah. I made really good friends on my course (living with 2 of them next year even) as its really easy to make friends- they do a lot of socials and activities so you get to know everyone really well, law balls etc. Generally people on the course are super nice just can be a little competitive but i feel as though you would find that anywhere. Seems to be a really diverse group of people from the ones ive spoken too- about 400 on the course at the moment so i have by no means spoken to a large percentage lol. I got a 29 on my LNAT when i did it so i do understand wanting to apply to more LNAT universities, leeds was just the right choice for me and i honestly couldnt recommend it enough :smile:)) I didnt use the Access to Leeds but i got my place still when i get each grade 1 lower than the offer was for so keep that in mind too
Reply 9
For me i found leeds to just be a friendlier and safer city, even though birmingham wouldve been about 3 hours closer to home for me hahah. I made really good friends on my course (living with 2 of them next year even) as its really easy to make friends- they do a lot of socials and activities so you get to know everyone really well, law balls etc. Generally people on the course are super nice just can be a little competitive but i feel as though you would find that anywhere. Seems to be a really diverse group of people from the ones ive spoken too- about 400 on the course at the moment so i have by no means spoken to a large percentage lol. I got a 29 on my LNAT when i did it so i do understand wanting to apply to more LNAT universities, leeds was just the right choice for me and i honestly couldnt recommend it enough :smile:)) I didnt use the Access to Leeds but i got my place still when i get each grade 1 lower than the offer was for so keep that in mind too

I'll definitely keep Leeds in mind for open days, as I'll be going to some in June and later on in September - October. This is the second positive review I've heard of Leeds on here which is really reassuring. Thank you so much for the insight I seriously appreciate it!
Original post by bibachu
Hi @bibachu

It's great that are you planning to go to open days, this really helped me when I was making the decision. You could maybe also add Kingston to your list, we have a number of great law courses here, you can find out more information through this link Law courses - Undergraduate courses - Kingston University London but of course an open day would be a great opportunity to find out more, speak to lectures, current students and get a feel for the uni to see if it somewhere you could see yourself studying. Our next open day is Saturday 27th April and we also hold offer holder days for those who apply and get an offer, which is another great opportunity to get an insight of what it might be like to study the course here at Kingston.

Hope this helps, good luck with your decision making!
Any question feel free to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Reps)

Hi i just wanted to ask if you have any tips for personal statement for law.Also how do you find leeds uni do you think its diverse and is the teaching quality good ,also is the univerdity good for employability and training contract offers from top law firms such as the magic circle.
Original post by bibachu
Oh, in that case I'll probably apply for the standalone law course, as I'm not really interested in a year abroad. Congrats on your offer and hope first year goes well for you!

You can skip the year abroad it’s optional :smile:

The international law and globalisation really is just focusing you for a career in international law but it’s good because the content will push you to do better even if you focus on regular law
Reply 13
Original post by nelson585
You can skip the year abroad it’s optional :smile:
The international law and globalisation really is just focusing you for a career in international law but it’s good because the content will push you to do better even if you focus on regular law

Did you visit Birmingham before you applied? I'm going in June and the only thing I'm worried about is safety. I love the course and the university, but the safety is putting me off a bit. I know that it's relatively safe if you stay in the student areas (e.g. Selly Oak), but I'm still anxious. Manchester is my top choice because I feel like it's safer and I like their course slightly more, but I prefer Birmingham as university more and their opportunities, so I'm not sure what to think.
Original post by bibachu
Did you visit Birmingham before you applied? I'm going in June and the only thing I'm worried about is safety. I love the course and the university, but the safety is putting me off a bit. I know that it's relatively safe if you stay in the student areas (e.g. Selly Oak), but I'm still anxious. Manchester is my top choice because I feel like it's safer and I like their course slightly more, but I prefer Birmingham as university more and their opportunities, so I'm not sure what to think.

Yeah I did visit. Safety is fine, the uni is in the posh area and has its own train station so you can realistically just stay in the campus area and nothing bad will happen. Manchester is also expensive but worth it so just consider what you enjoy the most.
Reply 15
Original post by bibachu

Hi, current KCL law student here. I don't know what you've got in terms of contextual eligibility, but a lot of the unis you're looking at are super competitive, not that that's a bad thing. I can add a few notes because I've got friends scattered around law courses.

Cambridge can be quite nasty with their offers, especially in terms of the stipulated subject grades, but if you want to go for it don't let it dishearten you.

Birmingham is super cheap to live in compared to other places, and to echo what others have said, most students live in Selly Oak, which makes it somewhat safer.
Manchester is also pretty cheap to live in.

Edinburgh is really nice, I know someone on the Law and IR course, but if a qualifying degree is what you're after, I think you do have to make sure you tailor it to that - which may be worth checking if that's your aim. It will also be more expensive than Manchester and Birmingham, although by how much depends. Quite a bit from what I've heard, maybe comparable to somewhere like York, I'm not sure. Also, Law at Edinburgh would be a four year degree, in case that changes anything cost-wise.

I know York has a really nice student life, and is super social due to the college system, also the campus is nice.

As I go to KCL, I'm obviously going to promote it. The law society is very active and there are a lot of them, and the bar society is really active, too. If networking is what you want, there's so much opportunity for it. I actually really like the campuses, but they are a bit small compared to elsewhere, although there are two bars on campus, which is really nice - both of which are underground. Also, in the winter, there's an ice skating rink next door, which has a student discount.

In terms of the LNAT, I would advise that you apply to a few that don't take it, which seems like your plan.

Best luck with your choices. If you have any KCL-specific questions feel free to ask.
Reply 16
Original post by Lttale
Hi, current KCL law student here. I don't know what you've got in terms of contextual eligibility, but a lot of the unis you're looking at are super competitive, not that that's a bad thing. I can add a few notes because I've got friends scattered around law courses.
Cambridge can be quite nasty with their offers, especially in terms of the stipulated subject grades, but if you want to go for it don't let it dishearten you.
Birmingham is super cheap to live in compared to other places, and to echo what others have said, most students live in Selly Oak, which makes it somewhat safer.
Manchester is also pretty cheap to live in.
Edinburgh is really nice, I know someone on the Law and IR course, but if a qualifying degree is what you're after, I think you do have to make sure you tailor it to that - which may be worth checking if that's your aim. It will also be more expensive than Manchester and Birmingham, although by how much depends. Quite a bit from what I've heard, maybe comparable to somewhere like York, I'm not sure. Also, Law at Edinburgh would be a four year degree, in case that changes anything cost-wise.
I know York has a really nice student life, and is super social due to the college system, also the campus is nice.
As I go to KCL, I'm obviously going to promote it. The law society is very active and there are a lot of them, and the bar society is really active, too. If networking is what you want, there's so much opportunity for it. I actually really like the campuses, but they are a bit small compared to elsewhere, although there are two bars on campus, which is really nice - both of which are underground. Also, in the winter, there's an ice skating rink next door, which has a student discount.
In terms of the LNAT, I would advise that you apply to a few that don't take it, which seems like your plan.
Best luck with your choices. If you have any KCL-specific questions feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for your input! Although I really do like KCL law, I've decided that I don't want to stay in London for university, since I've lived here my whole life and need a change. I would definitely look into KCL for a postgraduate degree, as I'm hoping to do a masters (either an LLM or an MA) before starting a training contract. I am so relieved to here that the law society there is active and has many opportunities! Since I'm not looking to stay in London for KCL or UCL, and no longer want to apply for Cambridge or Edinburgh, I won't be sitting the LNAT, which I think was the smartest decision I could make, as I think it would be a lot to manage over the summer; I'll be writing both my personal statement and my EPQ, doing work experience and potentially going abroad. I'm going to focus on getting the best A level grades possible (hopefully all A/A*s) for my mocks to improve my chances of getting into competitive universities with weaker GCSEs (876554). I did want to apply to Warwick as well, but I received an email back from them telling me that I was not eligible for contextual offers there, so I'd rather not take that risk and apply somewhere I feel I have a better chance of getting into. Warwick is insanely competitive for law, and I've not been hearing the best reviews from current students there. I looked into the Leeds LLB course for 2025, as I initially was going to cross it off my list, but they have changed the structure of the course and I looked into the modules again only to find that I really liked it. The four universities I'll definitely be applying to now are Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and York. Birmingham and Leeds are currently my top firm choices and York will 100% be my insurance, since they will guarantee me an offer of BBB upon completion of their programme. My final choice will either be Nottingham or Sheffield, but I'm leaning more towards Sheffield, since I like their course more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending