The Student Room Group

Footlights??

How does one join? What do you have to do; as it isn't affliated to any particular college(I believe), how do you know when meetings etc take place. Any info whatsoever would really be appriciated!

Scroll to see replies

You have to be good. Damn good indeed.

It is technically a university society, and they would contact probably via email, word of mouth, or some way- and advertising, as their showsare always known about in advance.

If you wish to join, you have to audition in front of a panel- kind of like Pop Idol or something like that. If they think you're funny, you're in.

If you just want to join to hang around funny people, and without being offensive to be a bit of a groupie, then as far as I know you won't get in!
Reply 2
FadeToBlackout
You have to be good. Damn good indeed.

It is technically a university society, and they would contact probably via email, word of mouth, or some way- and advertising, as their showsare always known about in advance.

If you wish to join, you have to audition in front of a panel- kind of like Pop Idol or something like that. If they think you're funny, you're in.

If you just want to join to hang around funny people, and without being offensive to be a bit of a groupie, then as far as I know you won't get in!

So I have to prepare a stand up rountine???
Reply 3
Toscar
How does one join? What do you have to do; as it isn't affliated to any particular college(I believe), how do you know when meetings etc take place. Any info whatsoever would really be appriciated!

Any member of Cambridge University or APU can join Footlights; it is very inexpensive IIRC. I imagine they will be at Freshers Fair.

All members can audition for the smokers and main shows.
See www.footlights.org for basic info; more detailed info is sent once you join.
Yep, oldman is right. I think it costs about a tenner to join and anyone can. You can then audition for the smokers, the panto, other footlights shows and whatever else. Getting onto the committee, on the other hand, is rather harder. From what I know, the committee don't have to audition for smokers and tend to take the main parts in the shows (which tends to make smokers rather samey).

MB
Reply 5
Do they do musicals and stuff?!
MikeyB!
Do they do musicals and stuff?!

The panto is to an extent a musical. The music this year was written by Pete Foggitt and Richard Bates, who are both third year music.

MB
Reply 7
Yay I can't wait to join :smile:
Reply 8
drsmeeth
Yay I can't wait to join :smile:

I think you'd be gurrrrd...(well you make me laugh anyway :biggrin: )
Reply 9
I like comedy, but I prefer 'straight' acting.
drsmeeth
I like comedy, but I prefer 'straight' acting.

Same! I really want to get involved in drama at uni (don't think I'm quite funny enough for Footlights though!), I missed not taking it at Higher.
Reply 11
friendlyneutron
Same! I really want to get involved in drama at uni (don't think I'm quite funny enough for Footlights though!), I missed not taking it at Higher.

:ditto:

and I didn't even have time to join the drama group at school this year...stupid IB :mad:
Reply 12
i always make time for drama. lovely lovely drama. i've done 3 plays since august. :smile:
On a similar subject, i'm not into all this acting malarky, but i love teching/stage managing shows - how easy is it to get into all of that at cam? Obviously the adc would be a good place to start, although i've been told by some people that it can be rather clique-y... any advise?
groovy_moose
On a similar subject, i'm not into all this acting malarky, but i love teching/stage managing shows - how easy is it to get into all of that at cam? Obviously the adc would be a good place to start, although i've been told by some people that it can be rather clique-y... any advise?

Just rock up to the ADC squash. Yes, all the techies are weird, but they're also quite nice. The ADC runs two freshers' shows each year which people can get involved in. There are also lots of college things. Have a look on www.camdram.net in term time to see what sort of stuff is going on. Everyone is always in searching for techies. As for actors, most of the michaelmas auditions will happen on the first weekend of full term, and then there are auditions for lent term shows at both the end of michaelmas and the beginning of lent. There are some may week shows, but I think people get stressed in easter term enough..

MB
Very easy. The ADC isn't the only venue! BATS do a lot in Queen's college theatre, there's the Corpus playroom, and finally your college which may put on 'dramatic' events. So I ended up designing, rigging and operating a full lighting rig in Clare Cellars for teh panto using nothing more than five PAR cans and a load of extension leads...

I havn't yet been to the ADC as last term I was against the idea of doing theatre teching, as I thought it would take up too much time. Then I realised i was doing a lot in college anyway, and as I had no work pattern I was working until late at night often. Therefore next term i am going to try and do some techieing (teching?) for a theatre in the evenings, to force me to do work during the day and not do all nighters!

To get back to your post, it is very easy to get into both the technical side- if you have any skills you will be in demand!- and stage management etc. is also very avaliable. The ADC do run some useful workshops at the start of term for most theatre-related things, which can help you brush up on skills even if you don't intend to do anythingat the ADC.
Reply 16
FadeToBlackout
BATS do a lot in Queen's college theatre

90% of the reason i applied to queens' :tongue:
Appologies for posting some incorect info at the top of the thread. Oh, I can actually join Footlights! Now I'm excited. Or at least do lighting for them...

Anyway, i can eally see myself getting into lighting and killing my degree. Not a good thing...
Reply 18
You've got to teach me something about lighting...Trying to write a staging essay when my knowledge only goes as far as gobos and filters isn't helping.
I've just sent you a PM. What do you want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending