The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Mini fridges at Hull?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luaani
Yes, in the welcome pack it should give you the number for your specific department (:

Ok, thanks. Can I just ask what was in your welcome pack, cause mine was basically a letter, a booklet and another booklet from the student union.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Nightstar-27
Ok, thanks. Can I just ask what was in your welcome pack, cause mine was basically a letter, a booklet and another booklet from the student union.

Mine was around the same just lots of leaflets offering different things (:
The reading list/ questions number list should be at the back of the first booklet.
Oh, and I am pretty sure a parents booklet was included in mine too :biggrin:
Original post by Shorton
I distinctly recall reading somewhere that wireless networks are forbidden. A reason wasn't stated - though I imagine it's so that you're unable to channel the internet connection to somebody outside of halls, or something along those lines.

I'm also quite sure that somebody on these forums said that mini-fridges were banned - again, I have no idea why. Possibly as somewhere has already said... because of electricity consumption.

I haven't received a reading list yet, though I would guess they'd send them out only once they're sure of everybody attending - i.e. after the clearing process ends (31st August?).

Hm..this is a bit annoying. It's so much more convenient to have wireless, especially for phones and laptops. I'd imagine the reasons are mostly security, but I'd obviously be happy to have a secure, encrypted password and have a white-list of MAC addresses, but if it's a no, then I'll have to buy long ethernet cables and splitters :tongue:

Also, my Hull welcome pack says that departments will post you in the next few weeks telling you about registration, and reading lists if needed.

Original post by luaani
Waaa :'( this is upsetting. Mine is quite a big one.. Can't I disguise it with like a tablecloth over it and putting books on the top?! xx

A book desk with a tablecloth and long plug? :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Can't be worse than the internet at my house. I did a speedtest a bit ago...

Reply 24
A book desk with a tablecloth and long plug? :wink:

I believe so :P it will be like a bed side cabinet and ill put a lamp on it so it looks the lead is from that :P
Reply 25
Original post by AllFallD0wn
Can't be worse than the internet at my house. I did a speedtest a bit ago...

I feel sorry for you... that is dreadful.
Router? According to the website, there's only wireless in the library, so it'll be all ethernet.
Ah. Totally different barrel o' fish then :wink:

Shorton
I feel sorry for you... that is dreadful.

Thank you. I can't wait for university internet!

(Unfortunately, my town's getting infinity in October...just after I've moved out. DOH!)
Original post by luaani
Mine was around the same just lots of leaflets offering different things (:
The reading list/ questions number list should be at the back of the first booklet.
Oh, and I am pretty sure a parents booklet was included in mine too :biggrin:

Thanks very much, you've been a great help to me. I'll rep you tomorrow. One last question, when do we need to upload our pictures?
mini fridges are 'banned' because of health and safety reasons, that was what i was told when i was in halls. Although get on the good side of the cleaners and they just look the other way.

Internet is ethernet cable only from what i knew.
Thanks very much, you've been a great help to me. I'll rep you tomorrow. One last question, when do we need to upload our pictures?

By 9th September to be sure the cards are ready for collection on 26th September
Reply 31

No problem (: Haha you don't need to :biggrin:
The pictures for our student cards?
Reply 32
Original post by truechristian91
mini fridges are 'banned' because of health and safety reasons, that was what i was told when i was in halls. Although get on the good side of the cleaners and they just look the other way.

Internet is ethernet cable only from what i knew.

Haha not an issue, Ill be really tidy :biggrin:
Original post by luaani
No problem (: Haha you don't need to :biggrin:
The pictures for our student cards?

Yeah
Reply 34
Yeah

I believe they get done on the day we all arrive, at set times for different departments at staff hour, (this is just what i read btw) so apparently you don't have to upload a photo.. but I guess if you want a nice try at it then I'd take your own? Haha- Thats what I'll be doing (:
Original post by luaani
I believe they get done on the day we all arrive, at set times for different departments at staff hour, (this is just what i read btw) so apparently you don't have to upload a photo.. but I guess if you want a nice try at it then I'd take your own? Haha- Thats what I'll be doing (:

By uploading a photo, it means that the card is waiting for you, and all you have to do is pick it up. If you don't upload a photo, you have to have your photo taken, wait for the card to be printed, and then pick it up. Apparently uploading is much faster.
Reply 36
Original post by AllFallD0wn
By uploading a photo, it means that the card is waiting for you, and all you have to do is pick it up. If you don't upload a photo, you have to have your photo taken, wait for the card to be printed, and then pick it up. Apparently uploading is much faster.

Oh I see, I read that it wasn't much faster on TSR. But thats cool.. I'll upload a photo (:
How do I know which size etc?
Reply 37
Original post by luaani
Oh I see, I read that it wasn't much faster on TSR. But thats cool.. I'll upload a photo (:
How do I know which size etc?

Standard passport size - it says on the leaflet they sent a while back. I believe that it's supposed to be no larger than 12KB in file size... but how strict they are on that, I don't know - it sounded more like "12KB if you can".
Reply 38
Original post by Shorton
Standard passport size - it says on the leaflet they sent a while back. I believe that it's supposed to be no larger than 12KB in file size... but how strict they are on that, I don't know - it sounded more like "12KB if you can".

I managed to crop a photo to 12KB exactly so its perfect haha, thank you (:
Reply 39
Hi, I'm (as of this academic year) a second year business school student (transferring from Scarborough to Hull). I know last year I didn't get sent a hard copy of a reading list but if you go to https://www.courses.hull.ac.uk/ and put your course details in you can get the details of your modules and from there search up the individual modules and at the bottom of the page there will be the reading list and suggested reading for the module :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest