The Student Room Group

Mini fridge in accommodation room

Hello,
Are you able to have a mini fridge in your accommodation if you have anxiety? I’ve already gone through the DSA process with dyslexia so I’ld rather not go through it again with anxiety. But the idea of not having a mini fridge is making me stress really hard.
Original post by Katieishere221
Hello,
Are you able to have a mini fridge in your accommodation if you have anxiety? I’ve already gone through the DSA process with dyslexia so I’ld rather not go through it again with anxiety. But the idea of not having a mini fridge is making me stress really hard.

Hi @Katieishere221

I'm not sure how it works for other unis but at Lancaster, you can have a fridge in your room if you have a reason and it has been approved by the accommodation manager. It would probably be worth getting in contact with the university about this before you start- they'll want to do their best to accommodate you, and that'll be easier if you let them know beforehand.
Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Katieishere221
Hello,

DSA don't deal with accommodation adjustments in general, so it's something you'd have to ask accommodation/disability services at your uni about. For the most part mini fridges in rooms are given for medication, so it can sometimes be harder to get one for other reasons, but not impossible (i.e. my uni gave me one for anxiety reasons related to my autism, but quite a few of my friends got rejected for it). All you can do is ask!

If they say no, you can consider getting a lockable box or something for your fridge shelf, and keeping dry packaged food in your room for any times you can't go to the kitchen for whatever reason. Also be aware that quite often they'll only allow mini fridges that they provide, which have very limited space and often useless freezer sections, so you can be quite limited in what foods you can actually have if you can't use the kitchen ones at all.
Original post by Interea
DSA don't deal with accommodation adjustments in general, so it's something you'd have to ask accommodation/disability services at your uni about. For the most part mini fridges in rooms are given for medication, so it can sometimes be harder to get one for other reasons, but not impossible (i.e. my uni gave me one for anxiety reasons related to my autism, but quite a few of my friends got rejected for it). All you can do is ask!

If they say no, you can consider getting a lockable box or something for your fridge shelf, and keeping dry packaged food in your room for any times you can't go to the kitchen for whatever reason. Also be aware that quite often they'll only allow mini fridges that they provide, which have very limited space and often useless freezer sections, so you can be quite limited in what foods you can actually have if you can't use the kitchen ones at all.

Hi, thank you for replying. I didn’t think about the consequences of not being able to use the kitchen fridges. So thank u for that
Reply 4
My son was at a UoL catered halls in London and they were explicitly allowed mini fridges in their rooms. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending