The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hash007
Do you know much about Oxford, I did okay at AS, not brilliant. Most of my grades were around the 80% mark. Would they consider me for an interview if I'm predicted A*AA? At GCSE I had 6A*'s, 5A's, 1B

I was told a lot about the Earth Science admissions at Oxford when I went there, and even saw a mock interview, it was really helpful. The standard offer for Earth Science is A*AA or AAAA, so they would definitely consider you. A-level maths is a requirement, and at least one of physics and chemistry is highly preferred (I recall him saying nobody has ever got in without either), having both is ideal. It's one of the less popular courses, so they have time to interview everyone with a chance - I think they interview about 98% of applicants. I don't think they look at UMS, if they do they certainly don't put a lot of emphasis on it, it's more about whether they think you can get the required grades. Your GCSEs are up to the standard of people who apply, so they shouldn't be a problem.

One thing the guy did say was they put a hell of a lot of importance on the interviews. I'm not sure if it's a departmental thing, or if they all do it, but it's a really important part of the process as they can see how you think, how you answer questions etc. - it's ultimately what decides your place. I remember him saying they've actually admitted people who didn't even write a personal statement... so it's really the interview that matters.

To answer your question - as long as you're capable of achieving the grades and you meet the requirements, you'll almost certainly get an interview. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by lukas1051
I was told a lot about the Earth Science admissions at Oxford when I went there, and even saw a mock interview, it was really helpful. The standard offer for Earth Science is A*AA or AAAA, so they would definitely consider you. A-level maths is a requirement, and at least one of physics and chemistry is highly preferred (I recall him saying nobody has ever got in without either), having both is ideal. It's one of the less popular courses, so they have time to interview everyone with a chance - I think they interview about 98% of applicants. I don't think they look at UMS, if they do they certainly don't put a lot of emphasis on it, it's more about whether they think you can get the required grades. Your GCSEs are up to the standard of people who apply, so they shouldn't be a problem.

One thing the guy did say was they put a hell of a lot of importance on the interviews. I'm not sure if it's a departmental thing, or if they all do it, but it's a really important part of the process as they can see how you think, how you answer questions etc. - it's ultimately what decides your place. I remember him saying they've actually admitted people who didn't even write a personal statement... so it's really the interview that matters.

To answer your question - as long as you're capable of achieving the grades and you meet the requirements, you'll almost certainly get an interview. Good luck. :smile:

Ah thats great, I don't know much about the whole Oxford application though, do you think you could explain to me? We had college talks on it but I was undecided what I wanted to do so I gave them a miss, I just dont know the whole choosing a college business and applying early. :dontknow: Hopefully I can find out more on Monday when I got back to college.
Also, did you get any advice on the personal statement? I don't really know what to put down without making it sound cheesy or full of adjectives :/
Original post by hash007
Ah thats great, I don't know much about the whole Oxford application though, do you think you could explain to me? We had college talks on it but I was undecided what I wanted to do so I gave them a miss, I just dont know the whole choosing a college business and applying early. :dontknow: Hopefully I can find out more on Monday when I got back to college.
Also, did you get any advice on the personal statement? I don't really know what to put down without making it sound cheesy or full of adjectives :/

As far as I know, it's relatively simple. You apply for the course you want, and you also choose to apply for a preferred college, you will then have two interviews at that college. They can accept you, accept you but transfer you to a different college if they feel the need to (I could be wrong) or reject you. Alternatively you don't even have to pick a college, you will be interviewed in a random college, and then they'll accept or reject you. Application deadline for Oxford is 15th October, interviews are early/mid December and you stay overnight at a college with an interview on both days.

As for personal statements, what they're really looking for is interest in the subject and academic achievement. They don't really care about extra-curriculars, if you mention them then try to make it relevant. Ideal structure should be about 80% academic, 20% extra curricular. The impression I got is that the personal statement won't have too much of an influence on you gaining a place, not compared to interview performance anyway (although you should still obviously put the maximum effort in). One thing I do remember: they don't like quotes - anyone can use Google, they're looking for something that's original to you.
Original post by hash007
Do you know much about Oxford, I did okay at AS, not brilliant. Most of my grades were around the 80% mark. Would they consider me for an interview if I'm predicted A*AA? At GCSE I had 6A*'s, 5A's, 1B

As far as I know about Ox, they don't ask for UMS scores so you're AS percentages aren't gonna be very important. If you're predicted A*AA and had As at AS and a good PS i would definately expect you to get an interview. I know people who have got into oxford with AABB etc at AS level so it's definitely doable.
Reply 84
Hello Fellow Geologists for 2012 entry: Fredholt56, lilliehear, Lukas1051 and Hash007!!! I have a question, for my choises, Im definately going for 1. Imperial (blown away by the open day, but risky choise), 2. Birmingham (local) and 3. Exeter (lovely campus). For my final choise Im undecided between Durham, Southampton, Leicester and Bristol, does any one have any thoughts - has any one gone to either/ all the open days? which ones would you go for and what is your list so far? thanks :smile:
I'm also applying for the Earth Sciences area - I'm thinking Enviro Geoscience looks good!
As for Unis my 3 favourites are Durham, Bristol and Edinburgh, with 'burgh ranking number one (they have an awesome hog roast fast food place!).

Results-wise you first two are frickin' awesome!! Mechanics was such a downer, but I think it was for many who took it - what I'm mainly concerned about is my A in General Studies :P
Original post by Morkike
Hello Fellow Geologists for 2012 entry: Fredholt56, lilliehear, Lukas1051 and Hash007!!! I have a question, for my choises, Im definately going for 1. Imperial (blown away by the open day, but risky choise), 2. Birmingham (local) and 3. Exeter (lovely campus). For my final choise Im undecided between Durham, Southampton, Leicester and Bristol, does any one have any thoughts - has any one gone to either/ all the open days? which ones would you go for and what is your list so far? thanks :smile:

I went up to Durham on the 1st of September and it was a good pitch, the facilities look great with loads of super expensive research equipment, however I got the vibe that the city of Durham is not the most thrilling of all (I realise it will be vastly different with students around). The collegiate system is a good enticement for me. I looked round Grey's and Trevelyn, with Grey's being completely redone and Trev's looking like it could do with a make-over, and I liked what I saw in both. The outline was that Grey's was a big social hub and Trev's had a nice central bar area (and gym :biggrin: ).
Reply 87
As far as I know, it's relatively simple. You apply for the course you want, and you also choose to apply for a preferred college, you will then have two interviews at that college. They can accept you, accept you but transfer you to a different college if they feel the need to (I could be wrong) or reject you. Alternatively you don't even have to pick a college, you will be interviewed in a random college, and then they'll accept or reject you. Application deadline for Oxford is 15th October, interviews are early/mid December and you stay overnight at a college with an interview on both days.

As for personal statements, what they're really looking for is interest in the subject and academic achievement. They don't really care about extra-curriculars, if you mention them then try to make it relevant. Ideal structure should be about 80% academic, 20% extra curricular. The impression I got is that the personal statement won't have too much of an influence on you gaining a place, not compared to interview performance anyway (although you should still obviously put the maximum effort in). One thing I do remember: they don't like quotes - anyone can use Google, they're looking for something that's original to you.

Original post by tgarrud
As far as I know about Ox, they don't ask for UMS scores so you're AS percentages aren't gonna be very important. If you're predicted A*AA and had As at AS and a good PS i would definately expect you to get an interview. I know people who have got into oxford with AABB etc at AS level so it's definitely doable.

Hello, just been speaking to my teachers at college. They said they won't be able to predict me A*AA based on my grades, do I still have a shot at Oxford with AAA? I mean if I do well in an interview would they be able to give me a conditional offer?
Reply 88
Original post by hash007
Hello, just been speaking to my teachers at college. They said they won't be able to predict me A*AA based on my grades, do I still have a shot at Oxford with AAA? I mean if I do well in an interview would they be able to give me a conditional offer?

Yes you will have a chance if they can see from your application that you have the potential to meet their offer. A lot of universities will set A* grade offers, but due to the grade being relatively new and hard to predict, they will generally see A grade predictions and A* predictions as roughly the same (of course, for those who already have their results then A*s are better than As, but for predicted grades no so much). A lot of schools refuse to give A* predictions anyway (my school for example, but people still interviews and offers for courses asking for A*s).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Morkike

I've been to Southampton and Durham, and they were both alright. For some reason though I didn't like Durham though, the talk was really dull and we were shoved in maths classroom, they have got loads of equipment though. I just didn't get a really good vibe, but the collegiate system does look really good. As for Southampton I really like it, but its very ocean based (located as the national oceanography center) and its a separate campus - so its like a 30min + bus ride from most accommodation (but you get a free pass 1st year)

Original post by peterfoster
I'm also applying for the Earth Sciences area - I'm thinking Enviro Geoscience looks good!
As for Unis my 3 favourites are Durham, Bristol and Edinburgh, with 'burgh ranking number one (they have an awesome hog roast fast food place!).

Results-wise you first two are frickin' awesome!! Mechanics was such a downer, but I think it was for many who took it - what I'm mainly concerned about is my A in General Studies :P

Have you looked at UEA (I think that's quite environmentally). I really wish I could apply to Edinburgh, but with 4 years and increases fees etc, i don't really think its worth it. I'm not sure if you referring to me, but if you are thank you :tongue: Aha mechanics was like my best exam result out of everything, it pulled the rest of my maths up :biggrin:
Original post by lilliehear
As for Southampton I really like it, but its very ocean based (located as the national oceanography center) and its a separate campus - so its like a 30min + bus ride from most accommodation (but you get a free pass 1st year)

I've been at Southampton for 3 years now and it's not really ocean based. You're doing a geology degree and as a result you will be studying rocks! The only time you'll find that it's ocean based is parts of the earth and ocean system module, if you're doing an optional oceanography module or if you take a 3rd year module called palaeoclimate change.

Even so, you still need to have some very basic oceanography as it allows you to appreciate the whole earth as a system. Don't let the fact that you're at the national oceanography centre put you off. Also, if you've been to the oceanography centre you'll appreciate how awesome it is! Also, the separate campus isn't an issue, it's just great really because you feel a little bit superior because you can actually find your way around it - unlike the geographers who occasionally have classes down there! Also, if you get a bike in second year like most people do it's only a 15 minute cycle down to NOC... buses take odd routes!
Reply 91
Original post by hothedgehog
I've been at Southampton for 3 years now and it's not really ocean based. You're doing a geology degree and as a result you will be studying rocks! The only time you'll find that it's ocean based is parts of the earth and ocean system module, if you're doing an optional oceanography module or if you take a 3rd year module called palaeoclimate change.

Even so, you still need to have some very basic oceanography as it allows you to appreciate the whole earth as a system. Don't let the fact that you're at the national oceanography centre put you off. Also, if you've been to the oceanography centre you'll appreciate how awesome it is! Also, the separate campus isn't an issue, it's just great really because you feel a little bit superior because you can actually find your way around it - unlike the geographers who occasionally have classes down there! Also, if you get a bike in second year like most people do it's only a 15 minute cycle down to NOC... buses take odd routes!

Ah ok I was talking to some people who take geophysics, and they just said they do alot of stuff based on the ocean floor etc :tongue: But yes it was pretty awesome!
Original post by lilliehear
Ah ok I was talking to some people who take geophysics, and they just said they do alot of stuff based on the ocean floor etc :tongue: But yes it was pretty awesome!

That's just because that's the place a lot of geophysics is based in! Don't worry about it because Geophysics and Geology don't actually overlap that much at Southampton.
Original post by hash007

I think they only specify AAA for the course you want to apply for so you should be okay if you have great PS + good interview performance.
Reply 94
Original post by tgarrud
I think they only specify AAA for the course you want to apply for so you should be okay if you have great PS + good interview performance.

'Offers

Successful pre-examination candidates are made conditional offers, which are usually A*AA or AAAA at A2 level, or carefully calibrated equivalents in other systems of examination. Post-qualification candidates may receive unconditional offers. '
Original post by hash007

'Offers

Successful pre-examination candidates are made conditional offers, which are usually A*AA or AAAA at A2 level, or carefully calibrated equivalents in other systems of examination. Post-qualification candidates may receive unconditional offers. '

oop sorry I must've had the wrong information :/ if you aren't predicted the standard offer then I think your chances are slim
Reply 96
Original post by tgarrud
oop sorry I must've had the wrong information :/ if you aren't predicted the standard offer then I think your chances are slim

But cant they give me an interview, and say 'A*AA is the offer, if you get it great if not then unlucky'. You're not necessarily going to do exactly how you're predicted.
Original post by hash007
But cant they give me an interview, and say 'A*AA is the offer, if you get it great if not then unlucky'. You're not necessarily going to do exactly how you're predicted.

To be honest I really don't know. I think the point is they get so many applicants for most of their courses that they have to narrow it down somehow and if someone isn't predicted the minimum grade requierments then they may be rejected right out without interview. Your best bet of a good answer is to email admissions at your chosen department and ask them how they deal with applicants not predicted the A*AA offer and see what they reply. Sorry I can't really be of more help than that.
Original post by hash007

I doubt they'd reject you without an interview, Earth Science interviews 95% of candidates, so I imagine the only people they reject straight away are people with absolutely no chance (and I imagine there are people who apply with the completely wrong A-levels or grades). As Zotulla said, lots of teachers don't like predicting A* anyway because it's new, and confusing, and you can't get it at AS (many teachers base it on your AS grades). I think it's definitely worth applying, there's not really anything to lose.
Reply 99
I doubt they'd reject you without an interview, Earth Science interviews 95% of candidates, so I imagine the only people they reject straight away are people with absolutely no chance (and I imagine there are people who apply with the completely wrong A-levels or grades). As Zotulla said, lots of teachers don't like predicting A* anyway because it's new, and confusing, and you can't get it at AS (many teachers base it on your AS grades). I think it's definitely worth applying, there's not really anything to lose.

This exactly. You have the potential, so go for it. Nothing to lose! Besides, universities look at more on your application than just grades!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending