The Student Room Group

The West needs to be more open to migrants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Lets also go back to my first post.
'Immigration as a whole is benefical for the economy. This is true. The idea of immigration is beneficial.
It still gives us money. Which it does, whether it be 6 billion (for that year of course) according to many papers, or not as according to many other papers it is uncertain.

The report was produced by the house of lords nd concluded that there was little economic benefit from non-EU migration and that of the benefit there this was outweighed by the social issues caused(crime, unemployment, etc). Now I could have linked you to the report but it was quite long and I'm sure you have bettert hings to do than read it.

Yes it has increased our GDP somewhat, but it has massively increased the population(as well as the fact that it has increased crime) so there has been a little more money spread between far more people(if that makes sense).
Original post by D.R.E
This whole "we need skilled labour only" argument is quite possibly the most hilarious fallacy being banded about at the moment.

How?
Original post by Ayshizzle
Yeah I always think that. If immigration rises and emigration decreases where will we put everyone?

In the major cities and then in teh smaller "rural areas" .... essentially people will find the space, the only difference will be that there will be less distance between immigrants in cities/towns/villages and the indigenous people (and I think this is what worries a lot of the opponents to immigration based on space and resources.
Reply 63
Original post by PendulumBoB
How?

Well, you tell me, why is a 'skilled' migrant intrinsically better than a 'non-skilled' one?
Reply 64
I saw the thread title and thought "someone read the economist this week"

The important thing is to distinguish between high quality skilled immigrants and low quality ones.
The tory policy is not to limit skilled immigration but to limit unskilled immigration... Which is surely a good idea

The fact is that you can't fit a pint into a half pint glass, UK is getting too full and we need skilled immigrants in this country, not unskilled ones.
Original post by Chucky

Original post by Chucky
Why are you saying to him that he doesn't have the right to an opinion when you are the one just annoying the hard working Brits by declaring that the country that since immigration has been going slowly down hill.

Seriously your hardly in a neutral position to make such a bold opinion.

You should probably look out of the window...

"why are you telling him", not "why are you saying to him", just thought I'd help you out with your English skills. No, I'm not the sort of person that looks out for the tiniest of typos; I corrected you because that wasn't a typo.

So where exactly was I "saying to him" that he doesn't have a right to an opinion? I only told him not to type like he has an economics degree, which you've mistaken to mean "keep your mouth shut". It's an expression not to be taken literally, what I really mean by that is, "please think before you share your opinion".

He says that immigrants cost the taxpayers billions, well of course they'll cost the taxpayer money, every single person in Britain (whether migrant or not) costs the taxpayer money for services (NHS, schooling and so on), however the money spent on them will be put back into the system through tax. Immigrants are the biggest contributors of tax, so they give more to the economy than take from it.
Original post by D.R.E
Well, you tell me, why is a 'skilled' migrant intrinsically better than a 'non-skilled' one?

"Intrinsically better" has nothing to with it; it costs money to train somebody to be skilled, not training somebody costs no money, the government has limited money so letting in somebody who is skilled/trained makes more sense(provided it is the governments aim to keep costs down and still maintain a workforce which meets the demands of employers). Now this in combination with the fact that whilst we have an unemployment problem, employers are still not happy with the standard of workers(who lack basic arithmetic etc) means that whilst letting in non-skilled workers only adds to the unemployment problem, letting it skilled workers meets a demand which actually exists.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
I would say that most immigrants who come here want to work, but due to policy have restrictions placed on them... the major issue is the indigenous workers who aren't willing to work for the minimum wage and then blame hard-working immigrants who have pride and graft for the bread. This lazy and whiny attitude of these people really pisses me off.

The whole benefit culture/unwilling to work attitude of immigrants is something which the media like to push and so feed the views of such indigenous people..

I agree with this. I mean for most immigrants, the whole point of coming here is so that they can work and get paid more than in their home country. They're desperate to wriggle into this country somehow, and get work permits.

Indigenous workers refusing to do jobs which are "beneath them" is a major problem. But then it's also a problem that immigrants (without british nationality) are often refused the right to work here, based on a philosophy of "British jobs for British people". These two things can't really coincide with each other. The end result is simply that the job doesn't get done.

I think though, that the benefit culture is also a major problem. Many immigrants (with British nationality) get more benefits here without working than they would have been able to earn in their home country even if they were working. I don't blame immigrants here - they're being offered free money, of course they're going to take it. The problem is the fact that this is incentivised.
Although as I said, this isn't just an "immigrant problem". This is problem is accounted for mostly by the indigenous folk you see on Jeremy Kyle. Immigrants are somewhat involved as well, but it's unfair and disproportionate to shift the blame entirely onto them.
Original post by Hipster
FILLING TO THR BRINK!
TOPPLE OVER INTO THE SEA!

Great Britain is a vast isle. We are not filling to the brink.

UK urban areas occupy less than 10% of the UK land mass.
http://www.mosus.net/documents/MOSUS_Built-up%20land%20increases.pdf

Compare this with other European countries:

Britain: 9.5%
Belgium 18.6%
Germany 13.2%
Italy 9.7%
Luxembourg 10.8%
Netherlands 17%

Thesis is rejected.

sarcasm moron...

Stop being a nerdy dick and stop replying to my posts. Go elsewhere and work on your "logic" and "thesis"....
Original post by T-ros

Original post by T-ros
Halal mcdonalds will not happen, as all meat in the UK is stunned :smile:

Well, if there's a high enough demand, it will happen :smile: Chicken cottage, Dallas etc.. can manage to make a profit with halal meat, so if there's enough demand for McDonalds in the growing Muslim community, there's bound to be a halal McDonalds in London. They did a trial of Halal meat in McDonalds in London, but sales weren't good so they decided to abandon it, for now. With the growing number of young Muslims being born in the UK, I'm sure I'll be able to see one in the near future :biggrin:
Reply 70
Economy will benefit with cheap labour.

Social balance and harmony on the other hand, will not.
Reply 71
Original post by PendulumBoB
"Intrinsically better" has nothing to with it; it costs money to train somebody to be skilled, not training somebody costs no money, the government has limited money so letting in somebody who is skilled/trained makes more sense(provided it is the governments aim to keep costs down and still maintain a skilled workforce). Now this in combination with the fact that whilst we have an unemployment problem as well as the fact that employers are still not happy with the standard of workers(who lack basic arithmetic etc) means that whilst letting in non-skilled workers only adds to the unemployment problem, letting it skilled workers meets a demand which actually exists.

What exactly do you mean by skilled worker? Because last I checked, having a GCSE in Maths does not make you skilled. Employers aren't complaining about foreign workers not having a decent level of arithmetic, they are complaining about British workers not having a decent level of arithmetic - although one wonders why a decent level of arithmetic is going to be necessary to do the majority of jobs available in the market at the moment.

Anyway, I asked you earlier, why is having a highly skilled workforce better than the alternative (seeing as you seem to think that), and also, why is there no middle ground? Most 'non-skilled' migrants that enter the country don't go into training, they go into jobs. Jobs which us, the apparently 'skilled' labour-force, aren't willing to do; or, cannot afford to, because British people are eligible for benefits and a minimum wage which prices them out of said jobs.

And, if our labour-force is so skilled, why do we need more skilled labourers?

Original post by Aj12
Depends on the sort of immigrants really

The sort of migrant with skills, not the couch potato getting weekly benefits.
Reply 73
Original post by Abir Ishtiaq
Well, if there's a high enough demand, it will happen :smile: Chicken cottage, Dallas etc.. can manage to make a profit with halal meat, so if there's enough demand for McDonalds in the growing Muslim community, there's bound to be a halal McDonalds in London. They did a trial of Halal meat in McDonalds in London, but sales weren't good so they decided to abandon it, for now. With the growing number of young Muslims being born in the UK, I'm sure I'll be able to see one in the near future :biggrin:

No it will not happan, cause if I understand correctly the law has to be changed.
Original post by tazarooni89
I agree with this. I mean for most immigrants, the whole point of coming here is so that they can work and get paid more than in their home country. They're desperate to wriggle into this country somehow, and get work permits.

Indigenous workers refusing to do jobs which are "beneath them" is a major problem. But then it's also a problem that immigrants (without british nationality) are often refused the right to work here, based on a philosophy of "British jobs for British people". These two things can't really coincide with each other. The end result is simply that the job doesn't get done.

I think though, that the benefit culture is also a major problem. Many immigrants (with British nationality) get more benefits here without working than they would have been able to earn in their home country even if they were working. I don't blame immigrants here - they're being offered free money, of course they're going to take it. The problem is the fact that this is incentivised.
Although as I said, this isn't just an "immigrant problem". This is problem is accounted for mostly by the indigenous folk you see on Jeremy Kyle. Immigrants are somewhat involved as well, but it's unfair and disproportionate to shift the blame entirely onto them.

This may be the case, but there is nothing the gov can do about this. Firstly because most of these people come from a less developed country and reside in britain where they require the comparative finances to live, so its pointless comparing how much they earn in a less economically developed country to the benefits in britian. Secondly, if the gov, gives these people british citizenship, then they must give them such benefits..

I don't think it is incentivised. Perhaps if you explain how so.... Most immigrants who come here do so looking for the opportunity to make something of their lives and if not give their children the opportunity.. Yes, there will be immigrants who scam the system, but because of the right wing media, it the immigrant community have been labelled as one ....
Original post by No Future
bold

Our protection of Japan was to set up an economic powerhouse that could stand against the two communist world powers, same with South Korea. Another poster criticized that I cited Japan as an ethnic nation state with low immigration, saying that it was only that way because of US protection that allowed it not have to spend money on defense or import immigrants. He was ignoring the Cold War matrix that made such decisions imperative.

Ok, I don't know the British term for GIs, but in America, all these jobs were open and filled by returning US service members. I was surprised that the UK had to import immigrants to do this work, given that in the post WWII years, I would assume there were plenty of Her Majesty's service members who were returning to civil society and would have been aware, from their time in the service, of basic construction techniques etc.
Reply 76
Original post by Pax Amerifauna
Yeah, because Japan and South Korea are just suffering something fierce from the lack of immigration and homogeneity that is keeping their economies and.... oh wait.

You need to stop assuming things and actually do some research before you state something which is quite simple, false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_South_Korea

Korea used to be a migrant source country, sending farmers, miners, nurses, and workers to the U.S., Germany, and the Middle East. The Korean diaspora population around the world numbers 6.82 million as of 2009, including 2.34 million in China and 2.1 million in the United States. This represented a slight decline of 0.22 million since 2007.[3]
The South Korean economy grew almost non-stop from near zero to over a trillion dollars in less than half a century

Korea experienced government initiated rapid economic growth from the 1970s which has been called ‘the Miracle on the Han River’. Until the end of 1980s, Korea was able to sustain its development without foreign laborers because it had enough cheap laborers. However, from the 1990s, Korea's decreasing birth rate and growing cost of labor caused labor shortages especially in the 3D jobs (Dirty, Dangerous and Difficult).

Many migrant workers live in Korea, particularly in the industrial suburbs of Gyeonggi province such as Siheung city. The largest number come from China. Of a total of 55,154 D-3 visa holders in 2005, 17,787 were from China,[4] but others come from throughout South and Southeast Asia.

And:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Japan#Immigration

According to the Japanese immigration centre,[9] the number of foreign residents in Japan has steadily increased, and the number of foreign residents (excluding illegal immigrants and short-term visitors such as foreign nationals staying less than 90 days in Japan[10]) were more than 2.2 million people in 2008.[9]

In 2010, the number of foreigners in Japan was 2,134,151. There was 230,552 Brazilians who are mostly of Japanese descent, 687,156 Chinese and 565,989 Koreans. Koreans, Chinese and Brazilians account for about 69,5% of foreign residents in Japan.[11]

Among the immigrants, Japan accepts a steady flow of 15,000 new Japanese citizens by naturalization (帰化) per year.[12] Indeed, the concept of the ethnic groups by the Japanese statistics is different from the ethnicity census of North American or some Western European statistics. For example, the United Kingdom Census asks ethnic or racial background which composites the population of the United Kingdom, regardless of their nationalities.[13] The Japanese Statistics Bureau, however, does not have this question yet. Since the Japanese population census asks the people's nationality rather than their ethnic background, naturalized Japanese citizens and Japanese nationals with multi-ethnic background are considered to be ethnically Japanese in the population census of Japan.[9] Thus, in spite of the widespread belief that Japan is ethnically homogeneous, it is probably more accurate to describe it as a multiethnic society.[14]

In the 1990s and early 2000s, Japanese diplomats signed agreements with South Asian officials to obtain an estimated 50,000 temporary "guest workers" to work in Japan. Similar guest-worker agreements with Latin American countries, such as Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico and Peru have brought another 20,000 foreigners to Japan, including Latin Americans of Japanese descent who might culturally assimilate into the Japanese population.[citation needed]
Original post by Pax Amerifauna
Our protection of Japan was to set up an economic powerhouse that could stand against the two communist world powers, same with South Korea. Another poster criticized that I cited Japan as an ethnic nation state with low immigration, saying that it was only that way because of US protection that allowed it not have to spend money on defense or import immigrants. He was ignoring the Cold War matrix that made such decisions imperative..

Ok, but it's still true that Japan flourished bc of US protection. That it was a strategic move by the US isn't particularly relevant...or is it?
Original post by T-ros

Original post by T-ros
No it will not happan, cause if I understand correctly the law has to be changed.

Good chance it will happen with a rising Muslim population, where do you think the trial of Halal McDonalds got their meat from? Where do you think Halal butchers get their meat from? Where do you think all the halal fast food chains get their meat from..? Slim chance halal meat will be banned, it's an industry worth billions of pounds. So you'll still be seeing your nearest halal butcher with an 'open' sign

EDIT: Also, don't bother calling for a boycott on any butcher which sells halal meat, most of the customers are Muslims :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by iRobot_Mk3
You need to stop assuming things and actually do some research before you state something which is quite simple, false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_South_Korea

And:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Japan#Immigration

Yeah, but look at the low rate of naturalization.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending