The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Katie-27
Hello, Congrats on getting an offer for History at King's!!
I think I'm might apply for Politics at Kings but I'm applying for History and Politics elsewhere. Do you mind me asking what you got at AS/GCSE? I'm wondering if my grades are good enough as I got Bs at AS but will probably be predicted AAB? I know the History grades are like A*AA or something ridiculous so would be interesting to know. :smile:
Also, what did you talk about in your personal statement? Did you mostly talk about the course or did you speak about personal qualities/work experience much?
Thanks in advance!

Hello Katie, best of luck with your application in the upcoming months. Right, let me see. GCSEs: 3A*: History, Chemistry and P.E - 6As: Biology, English Lit, English Lang, Spanish, Physics, Maths - 2Bs: Drama and R.E... As you can see, my GCSEs were good, but nothing particularly amazing. Comparatively speaking, I'd say those results aren't as good as King's College is a university (if you understand that comparison ha).

At AS I got 3As and a B. The 3As were in English Literature, Spanish and Economics. The B in History. Better than my GCSEs for definite, but certainly not ideal seeing as I was applying for history. I was really unfortunate in that the examiner who marked one of my history papers was a 'rogue' examiner - he gave me a C although all my teachers demanded it was worth more. The examining board was stubborn over the remark (which included a massive amount of my year group) and barely moved anybody up/down. I retook the exam in January 2011, knowing I had produced a worse exam than the previous time, yet I scored 99/100. So in January, I was sitting on 4As, although I had applied with a B. The point I'm trying to make is: don't lose hope if your AS results aren't ideal. Coming from my personal experience, I'd say that universities are quite lenient at AS. They're expecting retakes from a lot of candidates. Obviously, it's great to do well first time round, but don't lose all hope if you don't. You should understand that Bs at AS is far from bad, and you can bump those up to an A with retakes.

At A2 I got 3A* in Spanish, History and Eng Lit - having cashed in Economics.. What does that show? In my eyes, it showed that some people improve drastically in academic terms as they get older. Another point that universities will undoubtedly consider.

History grades have gone up to A*AA at King's now I've noticed - it was 3As for me. Predicted AAB for A2, I'd say you're in a good position to apply for any course that's AAA and AAB. A*AA might be a push in all honesty, but everyone's capable of achieving higher than they're predicted. (I was predicted A*AA). As for my personal statement... MOSTLY ABOUT YOUR COURSE - get that sorted. That was hard for me - I really wanted to talk about personal qualities etc. But no, trust me, you need to put the emphasis on the course. If you can get anything above 60-70% on the course, you're in business - I'd avoid going below that percentage. Anyway, sorry for rambling on. I hope you find that useful and just ask if you need any more advice!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 81
Original post by Auch
Hello Katie, best of luck with your application in the upcoming months. Right, let me see. GCSEs: 3A*: History, Chemistry and P.E - 6As: Biology, English Lit, English Lang, Spanish, Physics, Maths - 2Bs: Drama and R.E... As you can see, my GCSEs were good, but nothing particularly amazing. Comparatively speaking, I'd say those results aren't as good as King's College is a university (if you understand that comparison ha).

At AS I got 3As and a B. The 3As were in English Literature, Spanish and Economics. The B in History. Better than my GCSEs for definite, but certainly not ideal seeing as I was applying for history. I was really unfortunate in that the examiner who marked one of my history papers was a 'rogue' examiner - he gave me a C although all my teachers demanded it was worth more. The examining board was stubborn over the remark (which included a massive amount of my year group) and barely moved anybody up/down. I retook the exam in January 2011, knowing I had produced a worse exam than the previous time, yet I scored 99/100. So in January, I was sitting on 4As, although I had applied with a B. The point I'm trying to make is: don't lose hope if your AS results aren't ideal. Coming from my personal experience, I'd say that universities are quite lenient at AS. They're expecting retakes from a lot of candidates. Obviously, it's great to do well first time round, but don't lose all hope if you don't. You should understand that Bs at AS is far from bad, and you can bump those up to an A with retakes.

At A2 I got 3A* in Spanish, History and Eng Lit - having cashed in Economics.. What does that show? In my eyes, it showed that some people improve drastically in academic terms as they get older. Another point that universities will undoubtedly consider.

History grades have gone up to A*AA at King's now I've noticed - it was 3As for me. Predicted AAB for A2, I'd say you're in a good position to apply for any course that's AAA and AAB. A*AA might be a push in all honesty, but everyone's capable of achieving higher than they're predicted. (I was predicted A*AA). As for my personal statement... MOSTLY ABOUT YOUR COURSE - get that sorted. That was hard for me - I really wanted to talk about personal qualities etc. But no, trust me, you need to put the emphasis on the course. If you can get anything above 60-70% on the course, you're in business - I'd avoid going below that percentage. Anyway, sorry for rambling on. I hope you find that useful and just ask if you need any more advice!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!
Well I got almost exactly the same GCSEs as you coincidentally, but with A*s in English Lit, English Lang and Drama and Bs in Textiles and French instead plus a few BTECs we were forced to do! But yes I understand the comparison with the GCSEs :smile:
The Bs I got were in History, English Lit, Economics and Law. I've dropped English and I'm resitting one of each as I got an A in one exam and a C in the other in all 3! :rolleyes: But at least I had an easy choice for which exams to resit!

Well the Politics grades are AAB so I think I might apply with it being my optimistic choice, I'll only regret it if I don't.

Now to go add lots of course related stuff to my Personal statement..

Thanks again! :smile:
I'm applying for neuroscience :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Paul92
I'm applying to Kings for Politics, having already completed the first year of a History degree at St Andrews, but having dropped out.

GCSE: A* 5 A's 3 B's 1 D

AS: AAAA
A2: A* A* A A (A*'s in Politics and Modern History, A, Ancient History and General Studies)

I'm not sure how they'll view me having already been to and left a University (not due to academic failure), I'll be spending the year doing a bit of voluntary work etc. possibly going and working in refugee camps.

Why would you leave such a great uni? Was the haggus too spicy :wink:?
Reply 84
I'm applying for philosophy! I love King's - I've been researching it since I was in year 9, fell in love with it at the open day and the course is perfect. I really REALLY want to go there!

Is there anyone applying that lives in the countryside? I live on a farm with the nearest house being a 5 minute drive away - London would be a HUGE change. So is anyone else SCARED but incredibly EXCITED? Provided we get offers of course....
Original post by laura94
I'm applying for philosophy! I love King's - I've been researching it since I was in year 9, fell in love with it at the open day and the course is perfect. I really REALLY want to go there!

Is there anyone applying that lives in the countryside? I live on a farm with the nearest house being a 5 minute drive away - London would be a HUGE change. So is anyone else SCARED but incredibly EXCITED? Provided we get offers of course....

I'm from North Yorkshire, so a fairly rural area as well. Although Leeds is only about 30 mins away, and Manchester only just over an hour - though London is completely different! London is just a warren of activity and I'm bored here to be honest, I want to be where it's happening!
Reply 86
I noticed people were wondering about whether having a poor AS grade will stop them getting in; I've just started BA War Studies and History and I got a D in AS Chemistry. So no, it won't stop you!
Reply 87
Ancient History here! Anyone else applied for it?
Reply 88
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
I'm from North Yorkshire, so a fairly rural area as well. Although Leeds is only about 30 mins away, and Manchester only just over an hour - though London is completely different! London is just a warren of activity and I'm bored here to be honest, I want to be where it's happening!

I'm from North Yorkshire and bored too :biggrin:
I'm applying here!! :woo:
Exciting times :biggrin:
Reply 90
applying for maths :colone:
Reply 91
Biochemistry!

Yay me too :smile: what are you predicted?
Original post by Madmaz
Yay me too :smile: what are you predicted?

A*AA in Eng Lang, Biology and Chemistry respectively, what about you?
Reply 93
A*AA in Eng Lang, Biology and Chemistry respectively, what about you?

AAA biology, chemistry and psychology. I didn't even think people go predicted A*s! Have you been to see kings?
Original post by Madmaz
AAA biology, chemistry and psychology. I didn't even think people go predicted A*s! Have you been to see kings?

I did in English Language as I got 183/200 UMS in AS, so if I replicate that this year I've just crept over the boundary into A*. I went in the summer to see it, I absolutely loved it, it's just a warren of activity. I'm slightly put off by the living costs though, so if, by some act of God, I got offers from both Newcastle and King's, I would probably end up at Newcastle as I also have family there.
Reply 95
I did in English Language as I got 183/200 UMS in AS, so if I replicate that this year I've just crept over the boundary into A*. I went in the summer to see it, I absolutely loved it, it's just a warren of activity. I'm slightly put off by the living costs though, so if, by some act of God, I got offers from both Newcastle and King's, I would probably end up at Newcastle as I also have family there.

With grades like that I'm sure you'll get offers for both! Come to London, its amazing, I'd be living at home so I guess I don't have that problem. But If you're careful with your money you can eat cheaply, like go shopping in the City at weekends and everything is reduced because its just offices round there (loaf of bread for 20p ect). Seriously don't be put off!
Original post by Madmaz
With grades like that I'm sure you'll get offers for both! Come to London, its amazing, I'd be living at home so I guess I don't have that problem. But If you're careful with your money you can eat cheaply, like go shopping in the City at weekends and everything is reduced because its just offices round there (loaf of bread for 20p ect). Seriously don't be put off!

I do have the option to stay with family in Southend and commute in to save money, but I'd sort of miss the student experience. Oh well, I won't know until I get any offers! Best of luck.
Original post by Freiheit
I'm applying for pharmacy. Anyone else going to the open day on wednesday?

Me tooo!! What are your predicted grades? :smile:
What other uni's are you considering?
Reply 98
Original post by Princess Kawaii
Me tooo!! What are your predicted grades? :smile:
What other uni's are you considering?

I have abbbb at AS (sociology, chem, bio, german, history) and predicted AAB (AQA socio,Salters chem, OCR bio) at A2. I'm considering LSOP, Kings, Manchester, Cardiff and Brighton. I loved the LSOP open day so that Manchester or Kings would be my preferred choices. How about you? Have you started your personal statement? What choices are you considering?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
I do have the option to stay with family in Southend and commute in to save money, but I'd sort of miss the student experience. Oh well, I won't know until I get any offers! Best of luck.

Good luck to you too!!

Quick Reply

Latest