The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apple17
Basically my take on this:

Just hope for the best because no clue about the future guidelines. For all we know, by 2017, Internationals may be allowed to stay and tier 1 can come back. In the mean time, prep for the possibility of moving away by getting clinical rotations/internships/experience in both canada and US (well at least for me/the North Americans).

Yeap. Which is why I'm gonna bust my a** studying to take the KMLE
Reply 1081
Original post by hslakaal
Yeap. Which is why I'm gonna bust my a** studying to take the KMLE

Figured out the Hodgkin building basement's Keat library will be my best friend. :biggrin: When are you planning to take the KMLE btw? :smile:
Reply 1082
Original post by skennymtyler
Hi guys,

I'm an international student from Singapore, just graduated with my IB diploma (41 points with 7,6,6 in English, Chem, Bio HLs). I know it's going extremely tough for me to get into medicine in the UK cause of the quota on international students...but just how tough is it? is it still worth applying ? :frown:

Uhm, firstly CONGRATS on being an IB survivor. Well, I just finished IB with 38 and 7,6,6 (bio,econ and chem HL) and managed to meet my offer so theres no harm in you trying especially since your IB score is amazing. I would agree that its tough for intls but if u apply to your strengths i.e. ecs, academics/ukcat, better chance of getting in. So, apply strategically and all the best.:biggrin:
Original post by apple17
Figured out the Hodgkin building basement's Keat library will be my best friend. :biggrin: When are you planning to take the KMLE btw? :smile:

Can't take it before I've got my UK licence (= GMC reg.), so after FY1 :smile:

We'll be library comrades :wink:
Reply 1084
Can't take it before I've got my UK licence (= GMC reg.), so after FY1 :smile:

We'll be library comrades :wink:

Yeah, probably taking MCCEE after FY1 and USMLE after 3rd year or something if I choose to take it.

Yay, sounds fun. :wink: (More like IB multiplied by 5)

(scared of residence allocations. :afraid:)
Reply 1085
Original post by skennymtyler
Hi guys,

I'm an international student from Singapore, just graduated with my IB diploma (41 points with 7,6,6 in English, Chem, Bio HLs). I know it's going extremely tough for me to get into medicine in the UK cause of the quota on international students...but just how tough is it? is it still worth applying ? :frown:

Hey, I'm from Singapore too :biggrin: I was successful in gaining entry to UK medical schools for 2012 entry.

I say it's definitely worth applying to UK! Your academics are certainly good enough for most medical schools. Here's a brief guide on IB requirements:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_IB_Requirements

A lot of people perceive admissions to UK medical schools to be extremely tough, but as long as you meet the stated academic criteria (which you do!) and have voluntary experiences/medical attachments that you can comfortably talk about and reflect upon, you'll be fine :smile:

As for the international quota, usually medical schools will give out a lot more offers than places since many international students will either miss the grades or decide to go elsewhere to pursue medicine. Percentage of successful applicants might even be a more favorable number than NUS at some universities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ergo
Hey, I'm from Singapore too :biggrin: I was successful in gaining entry to UK medical schools for 2012 entry.

I say it's definitely worth applying to UK! Your academics are certainly good enough for most medical schools. Here's a brief guide on IB requirements:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_IB_Requirements

A lot of people perceive admissions to UK medical schools to be extremely tough, but as long as you meet the stated academic criteria (which you do!) and have voluntary experiences/medical attachments that you can comfortably talk about and reflect upon, you'll be fine :smile:

As for the international quota, usually medical schools will give out a lot more offers than places since many international students will either miss the grades or decide to go elsewhere to pursue medicine. Percentage of successful applicants might even be a more favorable number than NUS at some universities.

Woah, thanks for the info...will definitely give it a go then :smile:
Reply 1087
No comment on 1.

2. No foreign nationals trained outside the UK can do their residency/specializations in the UK. Period.

You're right. Even some UK trained students have to wait a few months after ending their studies to start foundation year.
Hello everyone! :smile:

It's that time of year, we're currently running the medicine awards as a bit of fun.

To see more about the awards, and vote in this years awards, see this announcement
Reply 1089
Hi all, I'm am from Singapore applying UCAS this cycle. Was just wondering when are the interviews for internationals usually held. Would they be in December? Or are they usually in jan/feb? Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sherskey
Hi all, I'm am from Singapore applying UCAS this cycle. Was just wondering when are the interviews for internationals usually held. Would they be in December? Or are they usually in jan/feb? Thanks!

Interview slots span from earliest mid Nov to late March if im not wrong

If you mean interviews in the SEA region, it's best to email the schools to ask when and if they'll be coming down. From my experience, Glasgow and Newcastle interview in Dec, Manchester in Jan and Aberdeen in Feb. That being said, the actual dates were not given but only a rough period when I emailed the schools all my inquires.

From last year,
Glasgow/Dundee in KL during mid Dec (Glasgow was 3 days, not sure about Dundee)
Newcastle at their Msia Campus in mid Dec (1 day only)
Manchester at British Council in late Jan
Aberdeen in mid Feb (forgot the location, couldn't attend)

If you get interview offers, the universities will usually ask for your preferred dates in their planning on when to come, and then again for when to interview you. If you plan on flying over though, I think you can arrange the dates between the unis yourself.
Reply 1092
If we have travel plans would that be a valid reason or not? Ok worse case I shall just fly to uk for the interviews all at one go, thanks!:smile:

Reply 1093

Typically most interviews for internationals are in Jan-Mar the following year.
Reply 1094
If we have travel plans would that be a valid reason or not? Ok worse case I shall just fly to uk for the interviews all at one go, thanks!:smile:

With international students they will try to accommodate us as much as possible, if you have multiple interviews they will try to do it so that you have to fly to UK once, but travel plans really doesn't seem like a valid excuse, something in lines of military/medical reasons is more so what they look for. We have to keep in mind that this is medicine, its not hard to find another applicant to interview.

Hi,

I am from Singapore and my interviews spanned from Early December (5th) to mid Feb (17th). But usually they tell you the dates early or give you a list of dates to choose from so you can tailor your plans around that. But I am sure this varies from university to university.

Good luck btw..
Voting for the medicine awards 2012 is still open, make your voice heard about our fantastic community before midnight on friday or miss out!

For more details and a link to the survey to take part, see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=195&a=872
Reply 1097
Original post by IBscrewed
Hi,

I am from Singapore and my interviews spanned from Early December (5th) to mid Feb (17th). But usually they tell you the dates early or give you a list of dates to choose from so you can tailor your plans around that. But I am sure this varies from university to university.

Good luck btw..

Thanks for the reply :smile: may I know which schools you applied to and the dates? So you're starting uni this sept?

Reply 1098
Original post by AbuAK
With international students they will try to accommodate us as much as possible, if you have multiple interviews they will try to do it so that you have to fly to UK once, but travel plans really doesn't seem like a valid excuse, something in lines of military/medical reasons is more so what they look for. We have to keep in mind that this is medicine, its not hard to find another applicant to interview.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I will keep that in mind!

Aberdeen interviewed mid Feb in Singapore :smile:

And Newcastle didn't have enough interview slots in Malaysia so I had to do my interview in UK. A few had the same too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending