The Student Room Group

***Official 2012 Neuroscience Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelloAndromeda
Looks like we have the same offers! I'm worried about the exact same thing! I may be wrong, but UCL said a total of 18 with no less than a 5 in my higher subjects so if we have the same offer you could get 765 and still get in :smile:

@elizabethT
I do Biology, Maths and Chemistry higher :cool: Maths is definitely the one I'm worried about with Chemistry taking second place s: I do Psychology, French and English standard which I'm quite confident in as well. The exams are just so soon! Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

I took Physics, Chem and Math at Higher Level and English, Chinese B and Business at Standard. Your combination sounds so interesting though!

Not sure if I'm one to give academic advice (or if you even want to hear it) but just speaking from experience, I would definitely say that the Math papers are really.. out there. The questions are more about application to real-life situations more than the technical aspects of mathematics. My friend described it perfectly by saying that IB math is about how you link one thing to another - how one topic relates to another. Also, study hard for your Stats!! (Paper 3) My friend did really badly for his paper 1 and paper 2 but because he aced his paper 3, he managed to pull his grade up to a high 6!!!

I think across the board, no matter what subject you take, the IB really tries to gear everything to applying your knowledge (my chem paper had a question about air bags). I'm sure you'll be fine! And I really hope this helps!!!
Don't stress alright? (:
All the best for your exams!
Original post by Sandra1993
Im a first year at Nottingham, if you have any specific questions, let me know.
I am so happy with my choice! At Nottingham, we have 20 credits (out of 120) of Neuroscience our first year, we get lectures from every single researcher, which gives us an idea of who to do research with. So typically we have 2 hours of Neuroscience a week. Accommodation and student life is amazing at Notts.

How does the transfer into Msci work? I didn't apply for it, but I kind of regret that now, can you transfer after your first year?
Original post by Minotauro
How does the transfer into Msci work? I didn't apply for it, but I kind of regret that now, can you transfer after your first year?

Yep! As long as you make a 60 percent average you can transfer.
Yep! As long as you make a 60 percent average you can transfer.

I hope you do not mind me asking this and of course if you haven't applied for student finance I don't think you can help but do you know how transferring affects your student loan?
Original post by elizabethT
I took Physics, Chem and Math at Higher Level and English, Chinese B and Business at Standard. Your combination sounds so interesting though!

Not sure if I'm one to give academic advice (or if you even want to hear it) but just speaking from experience, I would definitely say that the Math papers are really.. out there. The questions are more about application to real-life situations more than the technical aspects of mathematics. My friend described it perfectly by saying that IB math is about how you link one thing to another - how one topic relates to another. Also, study hard for your Stats!! (Paper 3) My friend did really badly for his paper 1 and paper 2 but because he aced his paper 3, he managed to pull his grade up to a high 6!!!

I think across the board, no matter what subject you take, the IB really tries to gear everything to applying your knowledge (my chem paper had a question about air bags). I'm sure you'll be fine! And I really hope this helps!!!
Don't stress alright? (:
All the best for your exams!

I really hope the paper 3 pulls my grade up - it's just about the only one I can do! That's made me feel a little better :smile: Thanks for all your advice and help :smile: Much appreciated! :biggrin:
Original post by Shauna1661
I hope you do not mind me asking this and of course if you haven't applied for student finance I don't think you can help but do you know how transferring affects your student loan?

i didn't apply for student finance. but none of my friends seem to worried about it so i don't think it affects your student loan.
i didn't apply for student finance. but none of my friends seem to worried about it so i don't think it affects your student loan.

Ah, okay then. Thanks anyway :smile:
I hope if I get that 60% there will not be too much trouble with the finance :smile:
Reply 827
Hi - someone help!
I got a UCL offer a few months ago and should really do the accommodation now, but I can't decide what to go for! I haven't seen any of the accommodation but I assume it's your average uni room? I ideally wanted self catered, but I've read that the self catered places can be really quiet and lonely - somewhere I read that 'you can go an entire weekend without seeing anyone'. I really like being with people, and certainly don't want somewhere really quiet. So now I'm thinking of going catered because this seems to be where most people are, and where there is a higher likelihood of meeting loads of people, and getting that fun 'studenty' feel, if you know what I mean?! I also wanted ensuite but I think I am prepared to give up on this in order to be with people and to have more fun. I also don't want to share as although I love being with people, I'm the type of person who needs to be by myself sometimes! What has everyone else gone for (I know you can't choose where you go, but you can choose your preferences to indicate a particular place)? What are your opinions of the different accommodation places? What do I do!?!?!
Thank you in advance for your help! :smile:
Reply 828
Original post by lvictoria
Hi - someone help!
I got a UCL offer a few months ago and should really do the accommodation now, but I can't decide what to go for! I haven't seen any of the accommodation but I assume it's your average uni room? I ideally wanted self catered, but I've read that the self catered places can be really quiet and lonely - somewhere I read that 'you can go an entire weekend without seeing anyone'. I really like being with people, and certainly don't want somewhere really quiet. So now I'm thinking of going catered because this seems to be where most people are, and where there is a higher likelihood of meeting loads of people, and getting that fun 'studenty' feel, if you know what I mean?! I also wanted ensuite but I think I am prepared to give up on this in order to be with people and to have more fun. I also don't want to share as although I love being with people, I'm the type of person who needs to be by myself sometimes! What has everyone else gone for (I know you can't choose where you go, but you can choose your preferences to indicate a particular place)? What are your opinions of the different accommodation places? What do I do!?!?!
Thank you in advance for your help! :smile:

Hi :smile: I'm going for en suite because I'm really a night person and that might be some trouble for others :smile:) also I'm picky about food so I hope for self-catered.
From my experience, I make friends with people I like, not those I happen to be at the same place with :biggrin: So I think you can socialize enough outside your accommodation: in your course, societies, parties, etc.
It's not all about accommodation at UCL, I suppose :smile:))
Reply 829
Any more Manchester firm choices out there? D:
Hey,
Firmed KCL and put Bristol as my insurance.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Haven't even thought about applying for accomodation yet but i suppose i've got till June 30th,anyone chosen their accomodation?
Original post by Jolyon_Jones
Hey,
Haven't even thought about applying for accomodation yet but i suppose i've got till June 30th,anyone chosen their accomodation?

Hey,
I'm not in the same boat as you - I've firmed Nottingham but I thought I'd just say you should probably should do accommodation ASAP so you can get in where you want - the later you leave it the less choice you have :smile:
Good luck :smile:
Original post by braiiins
Any more Manchester firm choices out there? D:

meeee :biggrin: did you join the life sciences manchester fb group?
Reply 833
Original post by neonlights
meeee :biggrin: did you join the life sciences manchester fb group?

Yesyes, as soon as I got the email :smile: Did you?
Original post by braiiins
Yesyes, as soon as I got the email :smile: Did you?

haha yeah same. Would be kinda awkward if i didn't get the grades now that i joined the fb group though!
what did you put for your accommodation?
Reply 835
Original post by neonlights
haha yeah same. Would be kinda awkward if i didn't get the grades now that i joined the fb group though!
what did you put for your accommodation?

I know :frown: I'm so worried.
I put Oak House without & with basin and Whitworth Park. What about you?
Reply 836
Anyone who has chosen Glasgow as their firm, I think we should make a thread for Neuroscience at Glasgow! Who agrees?
Reply 837
Original post by hjenkins6
Anyone who has chosen Glasgow as their firm, I think we should make a thread for Neuroscience at Glasgow! Who agrees?

:woo: deffo, although not sure if there's enough of us haha!
Is there one for biology/biomed etc.?
Original post by Jolyon_Jones
Hey,

Hey i hv firmed kcl as well. Have chosen great dover street as first choice for accomodation. (:
Reply 839
Original post by Josiea
:woo: deffo, although not sure if there's enough of us haha!
Is there one for biology/biomed etc.?

Probably not haha but it would be good to talk about the course and stuff before we go! (if we get in ahhh) I might just make one anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending