The Student Room Group

failure + hate myself - would like advice from people who have gone thru similar situ

During A-levels I was struggling with discipline and I got A*BB. Psych bio chem. I applied to Medicine and didn't get in . I took a gap year decidied to retake bio and chem. I thought as I had already gone thru the content once I will only need like a month or two revision - i was wrong. I have my last exam tmrw but they haven't gone well as a whole because I overestimated my ability and started too late. I just hope I don't get lower than last year. I got an interview for Medicine this year from King's and I was over the moon however I have been rejected/waitlisted. I have an offer for Neuroscience at King's but it's two As, which I highly doubt i'm gonna get. For the Medicine waitlist if I get an A in bio or chem i might be considered if a place becomes vacant but i don't even know anymore. I have an unconditional offer for Neuroscience at Qmary, and apparently they allow you to transder to Medicine in 2nd year if you are in the top 20 in the cohort. I have been working as a tutor part time during my gap year and i also had a surgery which took about 1.5 months to recover from (my interview was also during this time). I hate I wasn't more disciplined enough to manage my time better and do the work I needed to do and now i feel **** because of it. I have let everyone down esp my parents. I feel like im not as smart as everyone else.Does anyone have any advice?
(edited 10 months ago)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by jubnatan
During A-levels I was struggling with discipline and I got A*BB. Psych bio chem. I applied to Medicine and didn't get in . I took a gap year decidied to retake bio and chem. I thought as I had already gone thru the content once I will only need like a month or two revision - i was wrong. I have my last exam tmrw but they haven't gone well as a whole because I overestimated my ability and started too late. I just hope I don't get lower than last year. I got an interview for Medicine this year from King's and I was over the moon however I have been rejected/waitlisted. I have an offer for Neuroscience at King's but it's two As, which I highly doubt i'm gonna get. For the Medicine waitlist if I get an A in bio or chem i might be considered if a place becomes vacant but i don't even know anymore. I have an unconditional offer for Neuroscience at Qmary, and apparently they allow you to transder to Medicine in 2nd year if you are in the top 20 in the cohort. I have been working as a tutor part time during my gap year and i also had a surgery which took about 1.5 months to recover from (my interview was also during this time). I hate I wasn't more disciplined enough to manage my time better and do the work I needed to do and now i feel **** because of it. I have let everyone down esp my parents. I feel like im not as smart as everyone else.Does anyone have any advice?

Just a comment on regards to transferring in 2nd year. Please do not rely on this, due to this these courses tend to be highly competitive and have a lot of snakey behaviour in them. I’m one of the fortunate people who did a similar course and managed to transfer, but you will ruin your whole uni experience. Please pick a degree you know you will enjoy with good job prospects, or you may end up like a lot of people the course I transferred from, who either drop out, change degrees or complete a degree they don’t care for and therefore don’t do the best in. I’m very thankful I made it, but it wasn’t easy cos there are always people smarter than you and many people willing to go that extra mile to guarantee their success at the detriment of others.

Another pint I’d like to make is, I was the same at A-levels and ended up the same cos I thought I didn’t need to revise. Medicine requires a lot of hard work, and I’m saying this after resitting third year cos I only just got out of the bad revision habit, if you think you mental health might be suffering now, imagine how you would feel 3 years into the degree and having to resit with the stress of getting kicked out hanging over your head for a year. Luckily I passed second time round. I’m not trying to scare you but engrave in you the work ethic and attitude required to survive med school. Getting in is only half the battle.

if you KNOW you can change, then by all means go ahead and try again, and make sure you go through clearing and call as soon as te phone lines open, I know people who got BBC and got through clearing somehow and good amount of AAB/ABB students that got in this way. But I really must reiterate the discipline needed to get through med school.
Reply 3
Original post by A.B HTR
Just a comment on regards to transferring in 2nd year. Please do not rely on this, due to this these courses tend to be highly competitive and have a lot of snakey behaviour in them. I’m one of the fortunate people who did a similar course and managed to transfer, but you will ruin your whole uni experience. Please pick a degree you know you will enjoy with good job prospects, or you may end up like a lot of people the course I transferred from, who either drop out, change degrees or complete a degree they don’t care for and therefore don’t do the best in. I’m very thankful I made it, but it wasn’t easy cos there are always people smarter than you and many people willing to go that extra mile to guarantee their success at the detriment of others.

Another pint I’d like to make is, I was the same at A-levels and ended up the same cos I thought I didn’t need to revise. Medicine requires a lot of hard work, and I’m saying this after resitting third year cos I only just got out of the bad revision habit, if you think you mental health might be suffering now, imagine how you would feel 3 years into the degree and having to resit with the stress of getting kicked out hanging over your head for a year. Luckily I passed second time round. I’m not trying to scare you but engrave in you the work ethic and attitude required to survive med school. Getting in is only half the battle.

if you KNOW you can change, then by all means go ahead and try again, and make sure you go through clearing and call as soon as te phone lines open, I know people who got BBC and got through clearing somehow and good amount of AAB/ABB students that got in this way. But I really must reiterate the discipline needed to get through med school.

i think I like neuroscience im not sure of the job prospects. Do you mean go through clearing for neuro or medicine? also what do you mean by the last papragraph 'try again' - take another gap year? Or are you saying if I don't get the grades for my unconditional offer. What's your best advice on what I should do now based on my situation?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
i think I like neuroscience im not sure of the job prospects. Do you mean go through clearing for neuro or medicine? also what do you mean by the last papragraph 'try again' - take another gap year? Or are you saying if I don't get the grades for my unconditional offer. What's your best advice on what I should do now based on my situation?

go through clearing for medicine. By try again I meant via the transfer route as it is still possible, but make sure that even if you don’t transfer you can get a job you would like to do and you know how to go about getting that job, as just getting a degree doesn’t mean much anymore. But just know h the ones who usually transfer don’t always have the most enjoyable 1st year as they need to get ahead of the rest. Don’t take another gap year to resit, I’m not sure this would reflect well for universities even if they are willing to accept resits. My advice would be find a degree you know you would enjoy, if that is neuroscience then that is great, you really need to spend time looking at other degrees and what they offer, neuroscience may not medicine but will be just as difficult. I honestly would also advise looking at degrees such as optometry and pharmacy if you wish to work in a clinical setting and have a well paying job that leaves options open for working anywhere in the world. Getting into medicine is not the be all and end all, medicine is hard and requires you to work endlessly for decades. 5 years med school, 2 years as a junior doctor, to be a surgeon add another 8-10 of studying and working endlessly into that, specialty doctors are similar and then add another 5 years onto that to become a consultant. It’s a job of endless stress and work, especially in the uk, if you don’t have the right mindset going in it will take a huge toll on you.
Reply 5
Original post by A.B HTR
go through clearing for medicine. By try again I meant via the transfer route as it is still possible, but make sure that even if you don’t transfer you can get a job you would like to do and you know how to go about getting that job, as just getting a degree doesn’t mean much anymore. But just know h the ones who usually transfer don’t always have the most enjoyable 1st year as they need to get ahead of the rest. Don’t take another gap year to resit, I’m not sure this would reflect well for universities even if they are willing to accept resits. My advice would be find a degree you know you would enjoy, if that is neuroscience then that is great, you really need to spend time looking at other degrees and what they offer, neuroscience may not medicine but will be just as difficult. I honestly would also advise looking at degrees such as optometry and pharmacy if you wish to work in a clinical setting and have a well paying job that leaves options open for working anywhere in the world. Getting into medicine is not the be all and end all, medicine is hard and requires you to work endlessly for decades. 5 years med school, 2 years as a junior doctor, to be a surgeon add another 8-10 of studying and working endlessly into that, specialty doctors are similar and then add another 5 years onto that to become a consultant. It’s a job of endless stress and work, especially in the uk, if you don’t have the right mindset going in it will take a huge toll on you.

if I go through clearing for medicine that would mean i would have to give up my unconditional offer and what if I don't get a place through clearing then I will be left with nowhere to go. Also clearing is really competitive for Medicine as im sure you know idk what im gonna get on results day but regardless my stats will be low.
Reply 6

You live and you learn. Discipline, revision technique etc take time - you don't need to have got it completely figured out just yet. You have many more years of studying and learning to go. Also, you don't know your results yet!

Not being successful at something the first or second time rarely means it is off the table forever. GEM is always a possibility if retakes don't work out - it's not easy but it's still doable.

Source: did another degree then GEM. Had many of the same worries as you - the benefit of hindsight is that many of things I was worried about either worked out or didn't end up being as much of a big deal as I thought they were at the time.
Didn't get the a levels I wanted and didn't get into medicine after sixth form either. Instead I just did an undergrad and applied for GEM which I did get into and now I'm going into my 2nd year. It's a difficult path but if a levels don't work out that's always an option, undergrad med post a levels isn't the only way to become a doctor.
Reply 8
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Didn't get the a levels I wanted and didn't get into medicine after sixth form either. Instead I just did an undergrad and applied for GEM which I did get into and now I'm going into my 2nd year. It's a difficult path but if a levels don't work out that's always an option, undergrad med post a levels isn't the only way to become a doctor.

Hi i'm hoping to be in the same position as you and hopefully end up in GEM. Do you have any advice for someone like me who feels hopeless? what degree did you do things like that. I got A*AB and A* in epq and that B has been making me physically sick thinking ive ruined my future.
Reply 9

Hi how did you go about reapplying with resits? Do you think it was worth it? Did you do more work experience in between?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending