The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geejohn
Yeay! Chicky! You raised my spirits yet again! Thank you! I've gone a bit 'blue' over it all again now.. like you I'm up and down, up and down... My Mum asked me today 'have you heard yet?' and it made me feel a bit rubbish saying 'no but hey ho, doesn't matter, hasn't it been raining hard' etc etc.. covering the disappointment. Luckily she's the only one I've told (apart from my partner).

Still, let's keep hoping eh? My last correspondence from Casting was last week

"We are still making a few final decisions and should soon be able to let you know whether or not we can offer you a part in any of the ceremonies."

:bebored::bored:

Well it is hopeful that you have received at least an update from Casting (which, I trust, reassures you that you have not yet been forgotten about).

I didn't receive that e-mail myself (well, haven't received it as yet anyway!) but I did get a different one saying about the drop-outs and reserves maybe being needed to fill gaps .......... they hope to let us know soon if we are required.

My e-mail also asked me to register interest as a volunteer in a project they are putting together re. car owner/drivers in the Closing Ceremony (which I have now done - had to send them a photo of me and the car, my contact details, the age of the car and subsequently complete an accreditation form for background CRB checks etc.). Closing date for applications is this Tuesday (15th May 2012).

They were particularly interested in minis (any colour) and also any other car under 15 years old except those that are black in colour. Mine is a royal blue Honda Jazz, made 2005.

Will let you know how I get on in due course.
Original post by Bignic12
Made me laugh too Ropey.........who knows how close he could be :biggrin:

Would be surreal if it turns out ANYTHING like as predicted here I think.

Good theory though !
Original post by Concord
Blimey, what a week. Found out yesterday that I'm being made redundant, and still no news from casting. Was I actually that bad (in the audition, not the job)?!

Glad all those already rehearsing are enjoying it, and thanks for the positive thoughts for those of us left hanging. At least I'll now have time to watch the Olympics rather than coming into work - which has to be a positive...

Sorry to hear about your redundancy situation - been there myself barely 4 months ago so I know EXACTLY how you feel. Fortunately I found some work more or less immediately though not quite in the same field as before and it is working out o.k. for now, paying enough to cover bills etc. even though only part-time.

Fingers crossed that something equally lucrative comes up for you (if you need/want something straight away that is - maybe you don't!).

All the best anyhow.
Reply 7983
Yay! So glad to get that exam out the way, now only one more to go and then it is rehearsal time!!!!!!!! :dance:
Reply 7984
Mandy Panda, some understudies got upgraded to full cast today. Including a very lucky girl getting the spot I first stood in for. I'm still an understudy though and there were some new understudies today. I'm kinda thinking that if we understudies aren't upgraded by the next rehearsal we might not get upgraded at all. I will be sooo gutted!!
Original post by Mandy_Panda

Ok, the man with rhythm... He wasn't a man with rhythm, he was the guy giving wristbands to people without passes. I had a pass... :frown: WOE IS ME. He was nice to look at whenever he walked past though... Hahahahaha

Looks like you'll have to "forget" your pass next week Mandy!

First rehearsal tomorrow for me - meeting up with Kit-Yan and hopefully MsIs (although she's a different segment). You lot that have had a few now are positively bursting with excitement and I can't wait to get stuck in!

I was getting so worried about forgetting my sequences that I actually Googled "How to remember dance sequences" and actually quite a lot of useful information popped up!
Original post by Mola
Mandy Panda, some understudies got upgraded to full cast today. Including a very lucky girl getting the spot I first stood in for. I'm still an understudy though and there were some new understudies today. I'm kinda thinking that if we understudies aren't upgraded by the next rehearsal we might not get upgraded at all. I will be sooo gutted!!

not necessarily, today they made clear again the 'more than 2 no shows and you're out' rule!
Does anyone know the names of the 2 choreographers for 47? can you message me please? I thought I knew their names, but googling first names and not knowing the spelling doesn't work well...!
Phew! What a busy day.

This morning went to my rehearsal this morning and outside was packed, packed, packed!! Never seen such a long line. It turns out that there were three rehearsals plus a children's one as well.

Afterwards, went over to the Rio Handover auditions on the other side of the river. Whilst driving there I saw one of the London 2012 BMWs being driven - not a bad design actually. Couldn't look at it for long as it was in a side street and I had a stream of cars behind me so couldn't slow down to get a better look.

Arrived at the auditions and firstly they give you a form where you have to indicate your availability and non availability. There were a couple of people there who, like me, are already in the Ceremonies. They were fine with that just as long as you put down the dates that you are most definitely not available. From my understanding, the rehearsals for successful applicants will be catered around their availability.

The people there at the Rio Handover know some of the Cast Co-Ordinators for the Olympics - so there's definitely some talking going on in between the two groups so I'd be careful what you say as news may travel backwards and forwards.

They were auditioning people in batches of 30. There is no second or recall auditions for this one. In relation to what you have to do at the audition, to the "dancers" out there, I personally found it as challenging as my second recall audition - but a samba version. You go through a choreographed routine and there are bits in the routine where you SAMBA! If you can samba then you shouldn't have any problems with some of the choreo (not all of its based on the samba steps so if you're not from a samba background, do not be put off by this. Just go there and enjoy. They want to see positive happy energy and they are there to determine which role they can cast you in. We all had to swap rows so that each row has their turn at the front.

We were told that there are still places left as they are after ALOT of performers. In relation to bateria (drummers), we were told that arrangements for their auditions are not yet in place as they want to see the dancers first.

They kept saying that if anyone who hasn't registered would like to be in with a chance to audition (and the possibility of performing in the Rio Handover), to spread the news.

To recap, their details can be found here:-

http://www.flaghandover2012.co.uk/

Today was the first day of their auditions and yes, it was good fun! :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by cinnamon
Thank you.

the brazilian flag handover audition details can be found here.
Its for the closing ceremony of Olympics and Paralympics.

http://www.flaghandover2012.co.uk/index.php

Seems interesting and exciting. Cant wait!:smile:
Original post by Concord
Blimey, what a week. Found out yesterday that I'm being made redundant, and still no news from casting. Was I actually that bad (in the audition, not the job)?!

Glad all those already rehearsing are enjoying it, and thanks for the positive thoughts for those of us left hanging. At least I'll now have time to watch the Olympics rather than coming into work - which has to be a positive...

Sorry to hear about it. Everyone of us here are special. And am pretty sure that what is happening is doing good for you. Simultaneous doors of opportunities is awaiting now; just keep your mind and eyes very wide alert:smile: You shall get something very very soon. Life is like a flipping coin. For every negative side, there is a positive one. I pray that strong rays of sunshine dismantle the shadow of darkness with a breathe of fresh air. Dont lose hope Comrade! Just believe in yourself
Today i had a wonderful long sunny walk. Been around Tescos in midday at Three Mills for my snacks and saw all these volunteer performers walking past by me. While crossing the road i saw two olympic BMW cars at the zebra crossing. Been sooo excited to see it and i waved at the drivers while crossing and they waved me back.. Later i saw another BMW making a turn towards flyover.

From what i saw that volunteers were very exhausted. I wonder what they were doing at 3 mills lane today
Original post by Dancerwoman
Phew! What a busy day.

This morning went to my rehearsal this morning and outside was packed, packed, packed!! Never seen such a long line. It turns out that there were three rehearsals plus a children's one as well.

Afterwards, went over to the Rio Handover auditions on the other side of the river. Whilst driving there I saw one of the London 2012 BMWs being driven - not a bad design actually. Couldn't look at it for long as it was in a side street and I had a stream of cars behind me so couldn't slow down to get a better look.

Arrived at the auditions and firstly they give you a form where you have to indicate your availability and non availability. There were a couple of people there who, like me, are already in the Ceremonies. They were fine with that just as long as you put down the dates that you are most definitely not available. From my understanding, the rehearsals for successful applicants will be catered around their availability.

The people there at the Rio Handover know some of the Cast Co-Ordinators for the Olympics - so there's definitely some talking going on in between the two groups so I'd be careful what you say as news may travel backwards and forwards.

They were auditioning people in batches of 30. There is no second or recall auditions for this one. In relation to what you have to do at the audition, to the "dancers" out there, I personally found it as challenging as my second recall audition - but a samba version. You go through a choreographed routine and there are bits in the routine where you SAMBA! If you can samba then you shouldn't have any problems with some of the choreo (not all of its based on the samba steps so if you're not from a samba background, do not be put off by this. Just go there and enjoy. They want to see positive happy energy and they are there to determine which role they can cast you in. We all had to swap rows so that each row has their turn at the front.

We were told that there are still places left as they are after ALOT of performers. In relation to bateria (drummers), we were told that arrangements for their auditions are not yet in place as they want to see the dancers first.

They kept saying that if anyone who hasn't registered would like to be in with a chance to audition (and the possibility of performing in the Rio Handover), to spread the news.

Today was the first day of their auditions and yes, it was good fun! :biggrin::biggrin:

I have applied for rio handover:smile:. Cant wait !
Phew! What a busy day.

this sounds so amazing! but i can't samaba and i have no weekday availability as no leave left from work :frown:
Original post by galactica2009

Well done. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!:biggrin:
Reply 7995
Original post by galactica2009

Thats great Galactica, good luck you will be great at this.
Original post by Mandy_Panda
this sounds so amazing! but i can't samaba and i have no weekday availability as no leave left from work :frown:

From what I saw at the rehearsals, I don't think they were that particular about how well a samba is done. There were people of different abilities at my audition. The Casting Team kept saying that they are not after professional dancers but dancers who can convey happiness and enthusiasm and successful auditionees will be cast according to their suitability. So, I think its their way of saying that if you cannot samba very well, not to worry as there will be different groups within the handover.

They sound to me as if they're quite flexible in terms of rehearsals times and I'm sure the majority of those auditioning today can only make evenings and weekends.
Meant to say "audition" (Rio Flag Handover).

I've got rehearsals on the brain. Did some challenging new additional bits to my section rehearsal today so my brain feels like spaghetti at the moment.
A week ago, I wrote:
Original post by commonliner
a handful of non-TSR Olympic volunteers are planning a mini meetup on Sun 13.5. PM, potentially at the View Tube. Come along if interested.

Well, that's tomorrow (Sunday), we are down to only four or five and will meet in the Queen Elizabeth Hall Foyer Café at 2pm (but might sit upstairs in their Roof Garden Café), Southbank Centre. It's short notice, but if anybody fancies coming along, I'll wear an orange lanyard with a pink name tag.
Phew! What a busy day.

Wow, the Rio auditions sound great! Good luck to those who are going!

Latest