The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

The Shining is the only book, I think. I had the same feeling building up as I do when watching horror movies; quite an achievement for a novel! :P
Reply 2041
I've just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest and I read each part of the trilogy one after the other, so now I feel like a change from crime/thriller.

I've looked at so many 'top 100 books' lists but I still can't decide which book to choose! At the moment, I am thinking of getting Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, but I am tempted for something light-hearted now.

Can anyone recommend me a fantastic read? Not necessarily a classic, but a popular book with a lot of good reviews? I wouldn't mind a decent chick-lit; I could do with something to make me laugh and warm my heart :smile:
Reply 2042
100 years of solitude.
Original post by miss_p
I've just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest and I read each part of the trilogy one after the other, so now I feel like a change from crime/thriller.

I've looked at so many 'top 100 books' lists but I still can't decide which book to choose! At the moment, I am thinking of getting Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, but I am tempted for something light-hearted now.

Can anyone recommend me a fantastic read? Not necessarily a classic, but a popular book with a lot of good reviews? I wouldn't mind a decent chick-lit; I could do with something to make me laugh and warm my heart :smile:

I Capture The Castle - Dodie Smith
Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby
Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Or anything by P. G. Wodehouse, e.g. Jeeves and Wooster or the Blandings stories.
Have you read The Hunger Games yet? It's a pretty easy YA read, with a deceptively addictive storyline...
Original post by NaturalAndReal
Have you read The Hunger Games yet? It's a pretty easy YA read, with a deceptively addictive storyline...

Was thinking of getting that book £3.50 in tesco :ahee: but instead I bought 'the girl with the dragon tattoo' - big mistake, I've read around 40 pages (500/600 pages to go), and I'm still baffeled; very hard book to get into :rolleyes:
read hunger games its really good

and

boooks by julie garwood
As above, read The Hunger Games, it's amazing (the film is good too).

Also, Starter for Ten by David Nicholls is good
Anything by Jasper Fforde...

Thursday Next:
- The Eyre Affair
- Lost in a Good Book
- The Well of Lost Plots
- Something Rotten
- First Among Sequels
- One of our Thursdays is Missing

Nursery Crime:
- The Big Over Easy
- The Fourth Bear

Stand-alones:
- Shades of Grey
- The Last Dragonslayer

For a 'light read', I'd go for the Last Dragonslayer, even though it's written for teenagers, still a good book. Shades of Grey is also pretty good (just finished reading that one). Of the two series, I'd go for the Nursery Crime ones over the Thursday Next ones, but they're all good :smile:

I'll also through out John Lanchester's 'Mr Phillips' as a good book to read, but it starts a bit weird.
Njáls Saga
The Time Travellers Wife is one of my favourite books :biggrin:
I'm reading House of Leaves at the moment and it is (for lack of a more delicate expression) a total mind****.

mw1_danielewski.jpg

It's a horror story written in the style of a dissertation analysing a (non-existent) film, that was written by an old man who died, and the manuscript was then found by a young man who annotates it. The whole thing is a labyrinth of footnotes.
A song of ice and fire by George R.R Martin
Such an epic stroy!! I'm on the 5th one now
The Fault in our Stars by John Green.
I would definitely recommend the hunger games, i read all 3 books in less than a week because i couldn't put them down! I also love the twilight books, but i guess that depends what you're in to!
There and back again by bilbo baggins...
Original post by crazynoble
A song of ice and fire by George R.R Martin
Such an epic stroy!! I'm on the 5th one now

Seconded! They are a really good book series. Quite heavy going though.
Original post by erobinson15
I would definitely recommend the hunger games, i read all 3 books in less than a week because i couldn't put them down! I also love the twilight books, but i guess that depends what you're in to!

Was just gonna say The Hunger Games, I am just onto the third book and they're great if you want a light yet addictive read! :smile: The film is out now and is also very good.

(And just for the sake of contrast, I am not into Twilight at all and love The Hunger Games - they're not similar at all)
Original post by Miss Trololol
Seconded! They are a really good book series. Quite heavy going though.

Yeah they take some reading! But once your into it, they are insomnia inflicting!
Reply 2059
Original post by translucent
Was thinking of getting that book £3.50 in tesco :ahee: but instead I bought 'the girl with the dragon tattoo' - big mistake, I've read around 40 pages (500/600 pages to go), and I'm still baffeled; very hard book to get into :rolleyes:

Carry on reading! It's really good, trust me! Like I said in my OP, I've just finished the trilogy and all three books are really good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending