The Student Room Group

Unofficially, which one is better? Exeter Uni, or Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

warwick obvs.
Exeter Obvs.

When I first started looking at unis I really wanted to go to Warwick, this all changed when I visited it.

Exeter however, I fell in love with the minute I hit campus.

Yeah the image used for Exeter is one of the prettier views...but it isn't the prettiest... turn left and look straight forward you can see down the hill and through town towards the river Exe, I prefer that view. It is just a generally prettier campus. It does have a couple of eyesore buildings (well one, the physics building) but the rest are lovely...even better with the new forum project.

But then it obv depends what you want... Warwick isn't close to much (a bus ride to the 'lovely' Coventry) Whereas you can walk from campus to town (in Exeter) in about 15 minutes (Very helpful as I work in a shop in town) which was something I liked, its a real campus uni and the town is nice.

Depends on what you want/individual view at the end of the day...
Original post by Sadie_Stonell
Whereas you can walk from campus to town (in Exeter) in about 15 minutes (

But how long does it take you to walk back?
Reply 43
LOL

People on this forum, particularly this thread, have slowly turning this into a beauty contest something similar to the Miss Universe. Sure, Miss Angola is tall and pretty. But I so much prefer Miss Ukraine because she's got a brunette hair, if not Miss Philippines which is the smartest amongst the top 5.

lol...
That picture of Warwick is so old!!

The Warwick campus is simply untouchable by any other UK campus when it comes to facilities. Aesthetics are a matter of opinion of course.
Reply 45
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Warwick, like a boss.

Warwick by far, like a M***** ******* boss
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sir KBS
Warwick by far, like a M***** ******* boss

**** yeah.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
But how long does it take you to walk back?

....It takes me the same time to walk back...that's kind of how it works.

To walk home from town/home to town it takes 20 minutes (15 if I'm late for work)
Reply 48
Officially, Warwick.

Unofficially, I would say Exeter is. Looking at their courses, they provide a lot more options than Warwick's do, for example lots of courses at Exeter provide study abroad and industrial experience, far more than at Warwick. Exeter has also just had a finished a new multi million pound development at the streatham campus. The difference between the two Universities isn't as big as many on here would think. Of course, someone will come on here and tell me that Warwick ranks X places higher than Exeter on Y league table, therefore anyone who goes to Exeter is inferior to Warwick.
Original post by Sadie_Stonell
....It takes me the same time to walk back...that's kind of how it works.

It was a comment about that hill :smile:
It was a comment about that hill :smile:

Which hill... fair, there are a few.

If you're talking about Cardiac hill, I've been up it once (on my campus tour) and I'm third year :smile:
I don't believe in League tables, I believe in what they offer you since you are paying through the nose. What you need to do is ask around, find out how well regarded they are and make your decision then.
Reply 52
Original post by FDR
Officially, Warwick.

Unofficially, I would say Exeter is. Looking at their courses, they provide a lot more options than Warwick's do, for example lots of courses at Exeter provide study abroad and industrial experience, far more than at Warwick. Exeter has also just had a finished a new multi million pound development at the streatham campus. The difference between the two Universities isn't as big as many on here would think. Of course, someone will come on here and tell me that Warwick ranks X places higher than Exeter on Y league table, therefore anyone who goes to Exeter is inferior to Warwick.

Actually, most degree courses at Warwick DO have the opportunity to apply to go on Erasmus. Sadly not all departments push this, however. All you need to do is study a language as an option module for the first two years, or you need an A level plus your second year option module as that same language. Easy peasy. And I'm pretty sure some of the partner links require no language beyond English anyway.

Warwick's SU has only been completed in the last couple of years and was also a multimillion pound development. Plus there has been a new hall of residence open up this year, AND there is a further development going on beyond Maths and Stats which will be done at some point in the nearish future.
Reply 53
Original post by georgia
Actually, most degree courses at Warwick DO have the opportunity to apply to go on Erasmus. Sadly not all departments push this, however. All you need to do is study a language as an option module for the first two years, or you need an A level plus your second year option module as that same language. Easy peasy. And I'm pretty sure some of the partner links require no language beyond English anyway.

Warwick's SU has only been completed in the last couple of years and was also a multimillion pound development. Plus there has been a new hall of residence open up this year, AND there is a further development going on beyond Maths and Stats which will be done at some point in the nearish future.

You are completely right, Warwick does offer study abroad options, but these are the same as those available at many other universities. Exeter's are more course specific, and you have to apply for these separately when applying through UCAS, and there are options for those with or without language requirements.

Exeter also offers industrial experience as part of many of it's courses, and I think more universities should offer this considering how hard many graduates are finding the world of work, it provides them with valuable experience in the workplace.

I didn't know about the Warwick developments, but my opinion is based mostly from the prospectuses of each university (I'm an applicant this year).
Reply 54
Original post by FDR
You are completely right, Warwick does offer study abroad options, but these are the same as those available at many other universities. Exeter's are more course specific, and you have to apply for these separately when applying through UCAS, and there are options for those with or without language requirements.

Exeter also offers industrial experience as part of many of it's courses, and I think more universities should offer this considering how hard many graduates are finding the world of work, it provides them with valuable experience in the workplace.

I didn't know about the Warwick developments, but my opinion is based mostly from the prospectuses of each university (I'm an applicant this year).

Warwick does have course specific ones too, outside of the Erasmus scheme - I'm not sure of a definitive list, but I know WBS, Law and CAS all do them as some of my friends are away now in Canada, the US, and Hong Kong. It may be fewer than Exeter, but they do still do them. On UCAS they won't be listed with (+ year abroad) or anything like that, but anything that says International will be one of these.

Industrial experience as part of your course is only reeeeally useful if you are studying a degree in a particular area. Many of those degrees simply aren't offered at Warwick. It offers primarily academic courses as opposed to vocational. It's just a different kettle of fish. And if someone does a sciencey degree and wants to gain further experience there are opportunities there, but they are reserved for the more proactive engaged students who actually seek them out...working in labs for senior lecturers, for example. Warwick grads are lucky, the brand does help, and employers do look very favourably upon them. Plus the careers people are so on the ball it's crazy. It's pretty well connected with big firms etc.

I've not actually seen the prospectus for this year to be fair, so can't comment on that. All I can do is tell you about what I know from studying here.
Reply 55
Warwick. Though Exeter is awesome too.
Reply 56
Original post by Mr. Roxas
As a Warwick grad myself I am willing to compromise my love and loyalty for my alma mater uni in exchange for the truth. I may like Warwick and I think it's a fantastic place for undergraduate education, but I am willing to admit that, in general, Warwick students aren't as talented as Cambridge students are. I am basing this on A-Levels.

Average Entry Tariff:

Cambridge - 556
Warwick - 480
Exeter - 437

Now analyze that for me, please.

Fair, and supports your point completely (no need to get into a debate about A levels etc here), though still irrelevant to the OP until he knows which subject he will be studying.
Reply 57
Original post by FDR
Officially, Warwick.

I went to Warwick for my management degree. The business school in the only one in the UK to have a student exchange program with Wharton Business School of the University of Pennsylvania. Has Exeter something similar? I seriously doubt it. The UK uni needs to be quite established and respected to extend such a program with a top-ranked US business school like Wharton.

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/releases/2003/02/12/Wharton/and/Warwick
http://sa.oip.upenn.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=102&Type=O&sType=O
Original post by Mr. Roxas
I went to Warwick for my management degree. The business school in the only one in the UK to have a student exchange program with Wharton Business School of the University of Pennsylvania. Has Exeter something similar? I seriously doubt it. The UK uni needs to be quite established and respected to extend such a program with a top-ranked US business school like Wharton.

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/releases/2003/02/12/Wharton/and/Warwick
http://sa.oip.upenn.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=102&Type=O&sType=O

Please tell me why the OP, who wishes to read English language and literature, should care about the quality of the respective business schools.

Coventry University has the pre-eminent course in car design. That wouldn't be a reason for choosing to read English there either.
Reply 59
Please tell me why the OP, who wishes to read English language and literature, should care about the quality of the respective business schools.

Coventry University has the pre-eminent course in car design. That wouldn't be a reason for choosing to read English there either.

Fair enough. I only brought it up when someone mentioned about exchange programs with universities abroad. And, regardless which program we're going to talk about, Warwick is academically superior to Exeter. I couldn't think of a course where Exeter is superior to Warwick. Name me one.

Now, if the OP is viewing this solely on academics perspective, I'd say Warwick. If he or she meant the campus scene, that's pure relative to the individual. There's a chance that he or she would like Exeter more. But there's also a chance that he or she would like Warwick more. And, I'm sorry that he or she can't visit the UK before he or she could even choose the best fit for him or her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending