The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Got an offer for Business Studies the day after I sent off my application :smile: so happy!
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Got conditional for Drama and Performance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by Pi!
Offers for Spanish Studies and Spanish and Latin American Studies.

I've applied for Spanish and Latin American Studies and i've just got a unconditional offer! I haven't seen many people on this who have applied!:smile:
Anyone doing computer science at all?
I've applied to do forensic psychology there but I havn't had an offer yet. Got an offer through from bedfordshire today so I'm hoping to get one from portsmouth before christmas. Does anyone know what the facilities in the psychology department are like? and how close is the campus and the halls to shops and nightlife? Are things in walking distance?
Reply 105
Original post by Penbole
I am predicted BBB, I got BBC at AS I am applying for Architecture and have had an conditional offer of BBC :smile:

I applied for architecture and got a conditional offer as well :smile:
Rejected for Paramedic Science.
Pharmacy offers.. or anyone else.. have they got back to you regarding an open day? I think it said something about being invited to one? BUT.. not recieved anything on the dates ect..
Original post by littleone271
I've applied to do forensic psychology there but I havn't had an offer yet. Got an offer through from bedfordshire today so I'm hoping to get one from portsmouth before christmas. Does anyone know what the facilities in the psychology department are like? and how close is the campus and the halls to shops and nightlife? Are things in walking distance?

The psychology department's really big! It's based in King Henry building (a map can be found here) which is just off Guildhall walk (although i've had lectures all over the university) and close to Portsmouth and Southsea station. The staff in the department are really nice (the department picked up 2 or 3 teaching awards from the Students Union, voted by students) and i'm not sure how good the facilities are relative to other unis but they seem really good - we have access to an eye tracker (which will be more relevant for forensic psych) and various other equipment such as cameras, dictaphones, etc for other studies we may do.

One thing that does annoy me is that we don't have any seminars. We have tutorials where we can discuss papers but we don't have many of them and seminars strike me as a better way to learn so i was a bit disappointed (though i've heard that this isn't different to other psychology degrees).

I'm not sure what else to say to be honest, do you have any specific questions?

Good luck in getting an offer! Throughout my psych degree i've seen some of the forensic psych modules and wished i'd taken that, though still been satisfied with straight psychology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by paperclip
The psychology department's really big! It's based in King Henry building (a map can be found here) which is just off Guildhall walk (although i've had lectures all over the university) and close to Portsmouth and Southsea station. The staff in the department are really nice (the department picked up 2 or 3 teaching awards from the Students Union, voted by students) and i'm not sure how good the facilities are relative to other unis but they seem really good - we have access to an eye tracker (which will be more relevant for forensic psych) and various other equipment such as cameras, dictaphones, etc for other studies we may do.

One thing that does annoy me is that we don't have any seminars. We have tutorials where we can discuss papers but we don't have many of them and seminars strike me as a better way to learn so i was a bit disappointed (though i've heard that this isn't different to other psychology degrees).

I'm not sure what else to say to be honest, do you have any specific questions?

Good luck in getting an offer! Throughout my psych degree i've seen some of the forensic psych modules and wished i'd taken that, though still been satisfied with straight psychology.

Thanks that's all really helpful! I need to do really well on the course I'm doing to get into portsmouth though.

DDM which is equivalent to 2 As and a C at A-level and that would have been very doable only last year we didn't have ANY long-term proper teachers and the college had to sack loads of idiot 'teachers'. So I'm having to do over a year and a halfs work in one year and the course is 100% coursework and fairly academic (forensic science). I've had to self-teach most of it to be honest.

So if I get DDM then that would be AMAZING.

Still havn't had an offer from portsmouth yet though... :/
Thanks that's all really helpful! I need to do really well on the course I'm doing to get into portsmouth though.

DDM which is equivalent to 2 As and a C at A-level and that would have been very doable only last year we didn't have ANY long-term proper teachers and the college had to sack loads of idiot 'teachers'. So I'm having to do over a year and a halfs work in one year and the course is 100% coursework and fairly academic (forensic science). I've had to self-teach most of it to be honest.

So if I get DDM then that would be AMAZING.

Still havn't had an offer from portsmouth yet though... :/

Ah that's a well rubbish situation to be in! All the best of luck to you! Did whoever wrote your reference include that information with your application? (I don't know if there's any formal way to do this but you never know)

Also, i forgot to say, you'll be in excellent hands doing Forensic Psych here, your social psych lecture will be Aldert Vrij who wrote this textbook about lying/lie detection (i did one of my essays from it, it's quite well written), he'll be your social psych lecturer (in second year, along with Dr. Sonnenberg IIRC) and he's really good at explaining things.

Heh, when you said forensic science i got an image of CSI in me head :colondollar:

I hope you get your offer.

EDIT: Oh and just to be clear, i'm doing BSc Psychology, not forensic psych so your situation regarding seminars and stuff might be different, but the major modules are the same (social, cognitive, developmental and bio psych, along with a few others)
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah that's a well rubbish situation to be in! All the best of luck to you! Did whoever wrote your reference include that information with your application? (I don't know if there's any formal way to do this but you never know)

Also, i forgot to say, you'll be in excellent hands doing Forensic Psych here, your social psych lecture will be Aldert Vrij who wrote this textbook about lying/lie detection (i did one of my essays from it, it's quite well written), he'll be your social psych lecturer (in second year, along with Dr. Sonnenberg IIRC) and he's really good at explaining things.

Heh, when you said forensic science i got an image of CSI in me head :colondollar:

I hope you get your offer.

EDIT: Oh and just to be clear, i'm doing BSc Psychology, not forensic psych so your situation regarding seminars and stuff might be different, but the major modules are the same (social, cognitive, developmental and bio psych, along with a few others)

They can't say too much about it in my reference without exposing the course for what it's really been and if they do that then It'll probably just look bad on me because obviously there are no exams so there's no actual proof that I've learnt anything as in like actually absorbed it and remembered it. Just proof that I've written (literally) hundreds of essays and lab reports etc.

Oh right cool.. to be honest portsmouth does seem to tick all the boxes. It's just about whether I'd get in or not! Thanks, I hope so too! lol

They can't say too much about it in my reference without exposing the course for what it's really been and if they do that then It'll probably just look bad on me because obviously there are no exams so there's no actual proof that I've learnt anything as in like actually absorbed it and remembered it. Just proof that I've written (literally) hundreds of essays and lab reports etc.

Oh right cool.. to be honest portsmouth does seem to tick all the boxes. It's just about whether I'd get in or not! Thanks, I hope so too! lol

That won't reflect too badly on you to be honest, it's not your fault and writing essays is an essential part of uni anyway. We don't have any exams for practicals modules, for example, and unless it's changed it's good that you've written lab reports because a-level students have no experience of that (except 1 bit of coursework which was a bad example of a lab anyway). Plus, your personal statement is an amazing opportunity to show that you have the knowledge and have been reading around the subject.

Good to hear! :yy:
Reply 113
Original post by DrPeanuts
I'm going for Pharmacology too, got an offer yesterday. Might see you in October!

u pharmacology people, what are ur offers/ predicted grades?
x

Hi, assuming you're already a student? :smile: Was just wondering if you could tell me what the university gym is like... if you know of course! Cheers :smile:
Original post by ironandwine

Hi, assuming you're already a student? :smile: Was just wondering if you could tell me what the university gym is like... if you know of course! Cheers :smile:

Aye, i am currently a student. Though i wouldn't be able to tell you what the gym is like unfortunately, i'm far too lazy for that :lol: I could tell you what the SU's like :beer:
Aye, i am currently a student. Though i wouldn't be able to tell you what the gym is like unfortunately, i'm far too lazy for that :lol: I could tell you what the SU's like :beer:

Ahaha, love this :h:

What's it like then? Peered inside when I went to see my mates there but felt too intimidated to go in :')

Ahaha, love this :h:

What's it like then? Peered inside when I went to see my mates there but felt too intimidated to go in :')

It's okay, i wouldn't say it's anything special but it's good for what it is - a pub. The clubby bit was sold off before i got there, so the union organised night, Purple Wednesdays, is now privately run by Eskimo 11 (they basically have a monopoly on most of the mainstream nights in Portsmouth and, if i'm honest are quite naff (though i suppose it's not my scene anyway)). Drinks are around standard Spoons prices, they have offers on every now and then, and at the end of each semester they have drink the bar dry, where the price goes down by 10% every hour. I'd say the food offers are better there, so it's good to go between lectures (and free pool on mondays!)

Generally speaking, it's a really open place and everyone's really relaxed and friendly. Upstairs there's third space which is open till closing (12am) daily, it's just a general chilling out or group study area, some food is also sold there, and no alcohol's allowed upstairs. It's a bit bland decoration wise, but can't really say i have any complaints about it*

The UPSU (University of Portsmouth Students Union) sabbatical team always seem nice and happy to help. There are a lot of resources to get involved with; student council, three forums (Better: University, Union, and You) to ensure everybody's represented. Plenty of societies to get involved with, and the union does its bit to help - the RAG (Raising and Giving) carnival, for example, is held every year is quite fun and raises plenty of money for charity.

If you do go to visit your mates there then they're allowed to sign you in as a guest as long as you have ID (there won't be security before the evening if not) so you can go in and check it out.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Veee
I applied for architecture and got a conditional offer as well :smile:

hi, ive applied for interior design, but still havent heard anything from them:/ when did you send your application off? :smile:
Reply 119

The gym's surprisingly good, has 2/3 floors of equipment and is rather large, lot's of cardio machines, resistant weights and free weights.

The only problem is, it gets very very busy during the week and it's very difficult to find room at times on some of the machine. There are many other gyms in the area though who all offer great student deals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending