The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

What's Liverpool like?

Hi there,

i am currently applying to Liverpool and have an offer at ABB.. I've never been to Liverpool before aha im from London and just wondered what is Liverpool really like?

what are the people like?
what is the uni like?
what are the CLUBS like? :P

also quite importantly haha whats the Freshers like?

thankkk you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

The people are really friendly, take it from someone who's lived here their whole life! ;D

The uni? It depends which uni, there are a few. Although I assume you mean The University of Liverpool? If so, it's the best in the city, and it does rank fairly well too (Although not exactly one of the 'elite' :smile: )

Clubs are good (although I assume not as good as London!) , the 'KrazyHouse' is like the alternative club, the rest are pretty decent too ^.^

And Freshers, wouldn't know, I'm not in Uni yet :P
Hope I could help :smile:
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by PeterJamesRice
The people are really friendly, take it from someone who's lived here their whole life! ;D

The uni? It depends which uni, there are a few. Although I assume you mean The University of Liverpool? If so, it's the best in the city, and it does rank fairly well too (Although not exactly one of the 'elite' :smile: )

Clubs are good (although I assume not as good as London!) , the 'KrazyHouse' is like the alternative club, the rest are pretty decent too ^.^

And Freshers, wouldn't know, I'm not in Uni yet :P
Hope I could help :smile:

Yep the Uni of Liverpool! and yeahh i know - i have got an offer from Nottingham however, im just interested in Liverpool as a place etc..

p.s. London isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be.. yes theres alot of clubs.. but half of them you're paying excess money for something thats no better than average!
Original post by i Pav i
Yep the Uni of Liverpool! and yeahh i know - i have got an offer from Nottingham however, im just interested in Liverpool as a place etc..

p.s. London isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be.. yes theres alot of clubs.. but half of them you're paying excess money for something thats no better than average!

Well as a place I love it here :smile:
And I think the clubs are cheaper than London too, seeing as it's the Capital city and what not :smile:
Like any other city...

Some people are lovely, some people are horrible (e.g. most people at Queen Square bus station past 8pm),
Some places are nice (e.g. uni campus)in other places the asbo kids will probably rob your socks and your tooth fillings (Huyton, Everton, Anfield, Norris Green etc).
There's loads of bars/nightclubs to choose from, loads of shops too. You can get a local train ride up to a few beaches nearby (Formby is really nice).
Basically - it's what you'd expect from a city - a mix of everything - luxury (docks apartments, some suburbs)/poverty (the places mentioned where you'll get your socks robbed). Lots of ethnicities, lots of people, lots of opportunities.
Hey, does anyone know the balance of coursework/exams at Liverpool? Particularly for English. I'm thinking of picking Liverpool as an insurance.
Liverpool as a place is amazing, as a city is 2nd only to London, but the people might make it better than London in all honesty.

But I'm biased ...
Reply 7
Original post by Violet_apple
Hey, does anyone know the balance of coursework/exams at Liverpool? Particularly for English. I'm thinking of picking Liverpool as an insurance.

Want to know this too.
I got an offer from Liverpool, but I didn't accept it or go to visit it.

My girlfriend is there and she really likes it as a University. I adore the city, it's one of my favourite in the country. Wonderful place.
Reply 9
Original post by i Pav i
Hi there,

i am currently applying to Liverpool and have an offer at ABB.. I've never been to Liverpool before aha im from London and just wondered what is Liverpool really like?

what are the people like?
what is the uni like?
what are the CLUBS like? :P

also quite importantly haha whats the Freshers like?

thankkk you:smile:

The people are sound, plenty of weirdos knocking around too but I'm sure you get that everywhere.

Assuming you mean the University of Liverpool, its pretty good. Depending on what course you do it can range from ranking fairly well to top of the leaqgue. Liverpool is known for being very good at engineering, vet, Irish studies, tropical medicine, and some other life sciences. Medicine at liverpool is very PBL based, so depending on your indiviual opinions that could be a good or bad thing!

Clubs....

Depending what you're in to...

It has to offer the same old crappy bar/club/gastro pubs you get everywhere. The good thing about liverpool nightlife is unlike other cities, there are ares full of bars, so no need to taxi/treck from one place to the next. There is a big square near the cool ropewalks area called concert square, full of lively dirth cheap bars full of students, scallys and slags.

On top of the crappy student and bland nightlife you get everywhere, Liverpool has some great nightspots to offer.

The docks is home to some pretty cool bars, nice restaurants and comedy clubs too.

The newly build Liverpool one section to the city houses about 10 different restaurants and some pretty cool bars including the Tavern with a huge selection of beers and Palm Sugar, a waggy type cotail bar where I'm sure Desperate Scousewives will be filmed!

Around the moorfields area of the city centre you will find many posh restaurants, bars, and clubs.

Moving closer to the university, and the city centre, there is the Ropewalks area. This consists of bold street, seel street, berry street, hardman street and a few others. Here you find the real cool nightspots with different music, clientele and drinks than the rest of the city. Whatever music you like wether it be house dubstep drum n bass jazz funk soul, indie whatever you'll be catered for.

Actuall clubs as such, and not "clubs", include the famous Nation, where cream was held weekly for years, but now they only run cream 3 times a year. nation is now home to the abomination that is Medication, a student night which holds about 2000 sweaty bladdered half naked students.

Underground club nights include mUmU, Circus, Chibuku, Basementality, voodoo and loads more. I'd check these out if I were you!
Reply 10
Original post by middlj
The people are sound, plenty of weirdos knocking around too but I'm sure you get that everywhere.

Assuming you mean the University of Liverpool, its pretty good. Depending on what course you do it can range from ranking fairly well to top of the leaqgue. Liverpool is known for being very good at engineering, vet, Irish studies, tropical medicine, and some other life sciences. Medicine at liverpool is very PBL based, so depending on your indiviual opinions that could be a good or bad thing!

Clubs....

Depending what you're in to...

It has to offer the same old crappy bar/club/gastro pubs you get everywhere. The good thing about liverpool nightlife is unlike other cities, there are ares full of bars, so no need to taxi/treck from one place to the next. There is a big square near the cool ropewalks area called concert square, full of lively dirth cheap bars full of students, scallys and slags.

On top of the crappy student and bland nightlife you get everywhere, Liverpool has some great nightspots to offer.

The docks is home to some pretty cool bars, nice restaurants and comedy clubs too.

The newly build Liverpool one section to the city houses about 10 different restaurants and some pretty cool bars including the Tavern with a huge selection of beers and Palm Sugar, a waggy type cotail bar where I'm sure Desperate Scousewives will be filmed!

Around the moorfields area of the city centre you will find many posh restaurants, bars, and clubs.

Moving closer to the university, and the city centre, there is the Ropewalks area. This consists of bold street, seel street, berry street, hardman street and a few others. Here you find the real cool nightspots with different music, clientele and drinks than the rest of the city. Whatever music you like wether it be house dubstep drum n bass jazz funk soul, indie whatever you'll be catered for.

Actuall clubs as such, and not "clubs", include the famous Nation, where cream was held weekly for years, but now they only run cream 3 times a year. nation is now home to the abomination that is Medication, a student night which holds about 2000 sweaty bladdered half naked students.

Underground club nights include mUmU, Circus, Chibuku, Basementality, voodoo and loads more. I'd check these out if I were you!

AHHH those Underground Club Nights look amaaaaazing :O Netsky/Nero/High Contrast wooaah.

Only a slight problem - I applied at Bham and Liverpool for Biological Science and was expecting an offer from Bham for AAB and then Insure Liveprool at ABB but Bham offered me ABB so.. i might end up not applying at Liverpool but like woaaah seems like Liverpool is amazing! Slightly tempted to go to Liverpool as the nightlife as youve stated seems lovely but MORE importantly I LOVE Liverpool as a city :smile: and Birmingham is a bit close to home ahaha want to go further away! :')

Are you at Liverpool atm?
Reply 11
Original post by i Pav i
AHHH those Underground Club Nights look amaaaaazing :O Netsky/Nero/High Contrast wooaah.

Only a slight problem - I applied at Bham and Liverpool for Biological Science and was expecting an offer from Bham for AAB and then Insure Liveprool at ABB but Bham offered me ABB so.. i might end up not applying at Liverpool but like woaaah seems like Liverpool is amazing! Slightly tempted to go to Liverpool as the nightlife as youve stated seems lovely but MORE importantly I LOVE Liverpool as a city :smile: and Birmingham is a bit close to home ahaha want to go further away! :')

Are you at Liverpool atm?

Yep i'm in Liverpool.

Have you visited the city?

Good luck with you applications!
Reply 12
Original post by middlj
Yep i'm in Liverpool.

Have you visited the city?

Good luck with you applications!

I have an open day booked for around February time :P
I get to finally see the city then :')
Original post by i Pav i
I have an open day booked for around February time :P
I get to finally see the city then :')

I've forgotten to book any open days. Woops... :rolleyes:
[Better get to it]
Reply 14
Original post by Violet_apple
I've forgotten to book any open days. Woops... :rolleyes:
[Better get to it]

Oh yeah, If you applied at Liverpool and they gave you an offer - they invite you to a specific open day for your course area only.

I can't wait - have a feeling I'm going to love Liverpool!
I love Liverpool..born & bred here so biased. I love how friendly the people are its really comforting to be home and around friendly people. The city center its self is very small so everything easy walking distance. Shopping's good. The night life is brilliant. I have friends to stay from all over the country even London who come just for night life because they love it. Liverpool is a little city with a big personality. You will love it.
Reply 16
Original post by *Pink~Pixie~Lilly*
I love Liverpool..born & bred here so biased. I love how friendly the people are its really comforting to be home and around friendly people. The city center its self is very small so everything easy walking distance. Shopping's good. The night life is brilliant. I have friends to stay from all over the country even London who come just for night life because they love it. Liverpool is a little city with a big personality. You will love it.

Ahh, I have a hard decision to make between Liverpool and Birmingham :redface:

Now that I've actually had the chance to talk to alot of people about Liverpool it seems as though its reeeeeeeeeeeeallly good :smile:
Liverpool is one of my favourite places :smile:
If you can live with THAT accent, it's pretty bloody awesome! I love it and I'm from brimingham!

Scoucers are very friendly people!!
Reply 19
Rather than starting a new topic .. what's the nightlife like on a Wednesday night?

I've been out on Thursday nights after Europa League games and it's been really good, Saturday's obviously good but not sure what's on offer on Wednesday and how it fares in comparison to the other two nights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending