The Student Room Group

‘Soft’ subjects – teachers POV and the truth about BTECS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Your writing style is appauling and incredibly difficult to understand. Write like an adult and have some well formed opinions then I may give this a re-read. I think/hope that you will change your mind once you actually start to study because the real academic world is not how you perceive it to be.
Reply 21
I took a BTEC (National Diploma) because I wanted to focus on a single subject. I'm still glad I took that route, and I think you are hugely generalising when you say that 99% of people who study BTECs are stupid.

I do agree that if you want to go to a prestigious university, BTECs can hold you back. I wasn't aware of this when I made my decision, but I don't think I would have minded too much anyway.
Original post by Jed123
i didn't mean to say that people who take btecs are stupid i mean that if someone does badly in exams they are considered stupid but they are not. this is just how our educaytion systems works its done on exams not coursework

Many degree subjects, even academic ones, are assessed based on a mixture of coursework and exams.

Many are marked entirely on coursework. My brother's mark for his second architecture degree (can't remember what it was called) was based entirely on coursework.

Many masters' degrees are marked based on a thesis, which is essentially a lengthy, intensive piece of coursework.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 23
Original post by medbh4805
Sure, if you want to go to a Russel group uni to do history, it's probably not worth your while doing a Btec. But even if you do decide to do one it probably won't stand in your way, provided you have other, traditional A levels.

If you want to do a technical or vocational degree, or HND, or something like Art or theatre, the respective Btecs are probably the best and most relevant pre-university courses you could do.

It really is that simple. :colonhash: Don't denigrate other people's life choices. I want to do Classics at uni - a "respected degree", but chances are there are people doing IT Btecs going into Comp Sci degrees who are probably going to be earning more than me in four years.

but at the end of the day, who the hell are you to tell people what to do with their lives?

Totally agree with everything you have said!
Reply 24
Original post by Jed123

Do you think that teachers should tell students that their subjects are 'soft' (I’m not just talking about btecs, I am taking about things like business studies and law, things that students think look good but aren't). For example, how my maths teacher told us. The problem about this is that no one will be taking subjects like law and this is unfair for law teachers and the like and very disrespectful for the subject as well because it isn't considered to be a good enough subject.

I think that's a good question. It is true that some of the better universities have lists of preferred A level subjects and taking Law and other subjects like it that are not on the lists could put someone at a disadvantage when they apply for courses.
I think teachers-including the Law subject teachers- should ideally, tell their students that a number of universities prefer students to have other subjects but as you imply, that would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas and Law teachers might become second class ciitizens at best and redundant at worst.
Being realistic, they are not likely to tell you the disadvantages of taking their subject but at least some teachers should give an overall view. But this is no secret and anyone with any sense who is capable of reading a university prospectus will know it . I suppose there are some people who don't bother until it's too late though and morally, teachers should inform them before they choose their A level subjects.
Reply 25
Original post by Jed123
i didn't mean to say that people who take btecs are stupid i mean that if someone does badly in exams they are considered stupid but they are not. this is just how our educaytion systems works its done on exams not coursework

typo :colondollar:
Reply 26
Sure, if you want to go to a Russel group uni to do history, it's probably not worth your while doing a Btec. But even if you do decide to do one it probably won't stand in your way, provided you have other, traditional A levels.

If you want to do a technical or vocational degree, or HND, or something like Art or theatre, the respective Btecs are probably the best and most relevant pre-university courses you could do.

It really is that simple. :colonhash: Don't denigrate other people's life choices. I want to do Classics at uni - a "respected degree", but chances are there are people doing IT Btecs going into Comp Sci degrees who are probably going to be earning more than me in four years.

but at the end of the day, who the hell are you to tell people what to do with their lives?

:eek: A leveller talking sense. Respect :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My mum calls me a soft subject :smile:
Reply 28
People are queueing up to slap you down OP... But you're part right imo.

Btecs were originally designed for people going on to non-degree vocational training but it used to be possible to get into a degree with btec, usually after you'd been at work for a while. Historically it wasn't a complete dead end qualification.
Widescale pushing of btec as an A level alternative route to university for 16 yearolds is something that's developed quite recently imo and it is afaict regarded as a bit of a system abuse by unis inspite of the ucas points equivalence.
Reply 29

What do you want to do at uni?

If you say medicine or dentistry I will facepalm.

atm my favourite subject is maths and i have always been interested in the economy and i read the money news section of newspapers all the time. also enjoy how businesses are set up and run.

so these subjects mainly but they may change
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Existentialistic
I did a BTEC certificate in engineering along side physics, maths and further maths at A level. The result? AAA with a Distinction in the BTEC, and I'm now studying a very respectable subject at a very respectable university. I must admit though, I'm terrible at exams... Oh wait.

you're an exception, you already have three good a level subjects :sigh:
Reply 31
Original post by ilyking

Original post by ilyking
you're an exception, you already have three good a level subjects :sigh:

agreed at last someone understands what i'm trying to say in my OP
Reply 32
Dear lord, you really don't have a clue, do you?!

Firstly, you're a GCSE student - hardly someone qualified to comment on such a topic when you haven't even started your A-levels let alone the application process, university, a graduate job etc. etc.
Secondly, your argument is all over the place. You're continuously contradicting yourself and therefore look as though you don't have a clue what you're talking about (which, tbf, is true anyway...).
Thirdly, you don't have a clue about assessment at universities. It's not just exams at every single university for every single course. It varies across the board. It would be entirely pointless to be tested on exams alone. In addition to that, many BTECs do have exams at the end of it and even if they were based on coursework alone this wouldn't necessarily disadvantage them at university provided they are willing to learn. Being able to succeed in exams at A-level is nowhere near the same as succeeding in exams at university. Sure you might have some tried and tested revision techniques that work for you but it doesn't mean that you'll automatically be guaranteed a high mark. You're still learning when you come to university - just like everyone else regardless of qualifications.
abigail_92
Totally agree with everything you have said!

Original post by FinalMH
:eek: A leveller talking sense. Respect :smile:

:yy:
Reply 34

I believe the question "Would you like a shovel?" To be most appropriate in this case.

BTECs can complement study, and just because you've taken them doesn't show a lack of intelligence.
Also, some Uni's prefer some subjects to others. That's life. As long as you study what YOU find interesting, and YOU can do well at, then that's all that matters- don't try and be something you aren't. "You can stick feathers up your butt, but that doesn't make you a chicken."
Reply 35
It really depends on what the student wants to do in the future and how academic the subjects need to be. I hate the fact that i didn't realise this when picking my GCSEs and A-levels subjects. For example when choosing subjects in GCSE, the teachers were saying how good BTECs were in that you could resit them many times and they were worth "X" amount of GCSEs. In fact they are only equivalent and in many cases they are not seen as GCSEs. Being more academic in nature, GCSEs would have suited me more than BTECs. Also if the teacher knows you are capable they should question your decision to take BTECs and more "softer" subjects rather then let it carry on to allow the school to get a better average. There should be more information from the teachers to the student, and they should be more open about "soft" subjects. If students don't want to take it because they heard it was a "soft" subject, so be it.
Reply 36
Original post by screenager2004
*Looks at her soft A level certificates... Media.... Art... Sociology"
*Looks at her delicious scholarship*
*Decides to ignore GCSE student's opinion*

There are hundreds of threads about BTecs and soft subjects already. In the real world, your subjects mean very little. People with soft subjects and Btecs have gone on to earn lots of money and be successful in life. Please use the search function before creating a new thread.

''it worked for me so it must work for everyone else!''
Although I have limited knowledge regarding BTECs, I do know that my friend who is a straight A*/A grade student took a BTEC and one A level and is now attending the university of York. So the 'rule' is hardly universal.
Original post by Jed123
ok you may not be like that but think about it why do so many people apply for law and things like medicine and dentistry, they may like the subjects but it's mainly for the money. but they won't admit this.

i will! totally after the cash. Law at oxford, for the ferrari on the drive in 10 years time! Life is good when you keep it simple :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Jed123
i'm not exactly a good essay writer :smile:

Maybe you should do a BTEC then, since you won't be too good at exams :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending