The Student Room Group

Getting into uni with Btecs

I want to do well in life, and go to a great university, achieve high grades, and a great job. The only thing is I’m on a btec applied science course. My teachers in highschool recommended it. I got good grades in GCSEs and easily could’ve been accepted on a science a-level course. I’m worried that I won’t get into uni with a btec qualification or that Unis will look down on the college I’m in, because my college is a really bad one. What should I do? Change course/ college and repeat a year?
Reply 1
What subject do you want to do at Uni....?
Reply 2
BTecs are accepted as alternatives to A levels at lots of unis but you will be restricted to science-based courses. e.g Look at Sheffield Uni Biology course HERE

No need for you to change courses or colleges if you are interested in a science-based degree at university
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
What subject do you want to do at Uni....?

I’m not entirely sure though heading towards Radiography as I know it accepts Btecs. I’m just sad over the limited courses I can do and I think I would’ve had better chances if I went to a better college/ did A-levels.
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
BTecs are accepted as alternatives to A levels at lots of unis but you will be restricted to science-based courses. e.g Look at Sheffield Uni Biology course HERE

No need for you to change courses or colleges if you are interested in a science-based degree at university

Yes I am interested in doing a science based course. Thankyou very much I will take a look at that
Original post by Eloise:)
I want to do well in life, and go to a great university, achieve high grades, and a great job. The only thing is I’m on a btec applied science course. My teachers in highschool recommended it. I got good grades in GCSEs and easily could’ve been accepted on a science a-level course. I’m worried that I won’t get into uni with a btec qualification or that Unis will look down on the college I’m in, because my college is a really bad one. What should I do? Change course/ college and repeat a year?

Some courses you will get into but others ask for a specific science A level as well. The problem is the applied science degree is a general degree and doesnt go into any particular science to the same depth as A levels.

Here is an example regarding Genetics in Swansea. Biology A level is required in addition your BTEC

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)

Typically Distinction to Double Distinction plus A Level Grade B in Biology
(edited 11 months ago)
For Biology no A level is required

BTEC Extended Diploma: Grades DDD plus at least one GCSE grade B in Science with GCSE Grades C in English/Welsh and Mathematics. Accepted BTECs: Applied Science, Environmental Sustainability, Countryside Management
Reply 7
As above, you may need a separate A level alongside your BTEC for some courses - Radiography for instance relies on Physics and a 'general science' BTEC may not cover this in enough depth.

However, there are exceptions - especially if you have taken the 'right' units within your Applied Science BTEC.

As an example, Bath will accept BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) in Applied Science for its Chemistry degrees - grades DDD - but you must be studying the following units : Applications of Organic Chemistry, Applications of Inorganic Chemistry, Industrial Chemical Reactions and preferably, Practical Chemical Analysis. For Biology, Bath will also accept this BTEC, but again only including specific units.
Original post by Eloise:)
I’m not entirely sure though heading towards Radiography as I know it accepts Btecs. I’m just sad over the limited courses I can do and I think I would’ve had better chances if I went to a better college/ did A-levels.

Although you may feel restricted, you would be guaranteed a job with a degree in diagnostic or therapeutic radiography. That wouldn't necessarily be the case for an academic science degree. Think about what you would like to do post degree and only change to A levels if your current qualification won't get you there. I'd also recommend that you attend some open days this term and attend subject talks for a range of courses. You will get a much better feel for the subject and whether you can see yourself studying it for three years, and you will be able to ask staff and students about graduate opportunities.
Original post by McGinger
Radiography for instance relies on Physics and a 'general science' BTEC may not cover this in enough depth.

Although there is physics content in radiography courses, no unis list physics as a required A level and, from what I recall (my DD has applied this year), a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science is accepted for these courses instead of three A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest