The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal
could you join links instead?

To be Operational with LINKS you have to Join SJA and complete all aspects of the SJA joining process .

LINKS operational activities ( even in house at uni or SU ) are SJA duties to allow the full range of SJA protocol and equipmnent to be used.
still be absolutely no harm in ringing the relevant Regional HQ and asking to speak to the volunteer recruitment team to see what is happening with your application ...
Reply 782
Original post by zippyRN
Due to changes in policy from the Yoputh Department earlier this year under 18s have to attend Youth units , so there is no point waiting until you are 16 anymore as you'll be joining a cadet unit anyway, you also won;t be allowed on duty or be able to treat patients unsupervised until you are 18 ( as YVP2 makes it a requirement that under 18s have all documentation counter signed by an Adult of equal or greater equivalent operational grade)

14-18 year old members will be doing the 'Service Delivery' Apprenticeship' programme, which if it is delivered as promised should give you the skills to make the transition to adult membership very smooth once you turn 18 ( just the medications + gasses module and the assessed patient handling stuff to do for Adult Adavanced First Aider if you complete the whole programme )

Oh, I didn't know about the new policy. I may as well join now then.

By the way, I haven't been vaccinated against Hepatitis B. Is this a huge problem? :confused: I'll be getting it in around January (because I have to pay for it). Does this mean that I'll have to wait till next year? It takes 4-6 months (because you have to get 3 jabs) so that means it won't be complete till around June.

Sorry for all of the questions :redface:
You won't regret joining :smile: I joined 3 weeks ago and have loved it.

I don't imagine the vaccinations being an issue - no one has mentioned it to me yet, although that might be because I'm not yet trained to go on duties.

Just a quick question for everyone, once you turn 18 what's the process for moving out of cadets and into adults? Will it require interviews etc or is it more simple?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Original post by alistair404
You won't regret joining :smile: I joined 3 weeks ago and have loved it.

I don't imagine the vaccinations being an issue - no one has mentioned it to me yet, although that might be because I'm not yet trained to go on duties.

Just a quick question for everyone, once you turn 18 what's the process for moving out of cadets and into adults? Will it require interviews etc or is it more simple?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long did it take for you to begin after handing in your application form? :redface:
First LINKS duty for freshers week soon and only got 2 members doing it so far - eek! :s-smilie:
Original post by KingGoonIan
First LINKS duty for freshers week soon and only got 2 members doing it so far - eek! :s-smilie:

Which uni?
I showed up on the first week of term and got the application forms then. I only just handed them in last week along with the crb check but they allowed me to continue to attend meetings despite not having the forms complete :smile:

Edit: Damn that was meant to have a quote in it sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ethereal
Which uni?

Surrey! :biggrin:
Original post by alistair404
I showed up on the first week of term and got the application forms then. I only just handed them in last week along with the crb check but they allowed me to continue to attend meetings despite not having the forms complete :smile:

Edit: Damn that was meant to have a quote in it sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

not all LINKS meetings are 'official' SJA unit meetings - which is why LINKies can attend while waiting for their SJA membership to come back as they are attending A SU society meeting - in some cases the only 'Officical' SJA unit meetings LINKS has are if parts of Official SJA training are delivered i nthe meeting .
Reply 790
Original post by zippyRN
Due to changes in policy from the Yoputh Department earlier this year under 18s have to attend Youth units , so there is no point waiting until you are 16 anymore as you'll be joining a cadet unit anyway, you also won;t be allowed on duty or be able to treat patients unsupervised until you are 18 ( as YVP2 makes it a requirement that under 18s have all documentation counter signed by an Adult of equal or greater equivalent operational grade)

14-18 year old members will be doing the 'Service Delivery' Apprenticeship' programme, which if it is delivered as promised should give you the skills to make the transition to adult membership very smooth once you turn 18 ( just the medications + gasses module and the assessed patient handling stuff to do for Adult Adavanced First Aider if you complete the whole programme )

Hi
I am 19 and want to volunteer as first aider. I dont know what to do to apply for volunteering. One of the branches of SJA was nearby my home but they will be closing down if they dont find any unit manager. So I dont know what to do
Original post by AS01
Hi
I am 19 and want to volunteer as first aider. I dont know what to do to apply for volunteering. One of the branches of SJA was nearby my home but they will be closing down if they dont find any unit manager. So I dont know what to do

At the present time it depends if the District you are in is recruiting - not all Districts are doing general recruitment as the Regions are still dealing with the backlog of partly completed and processed applications from before regionalisation.

There are lots of SJA units ( some may argue too many ) and if recruitment is taking place in a District or locality then you would be placed at the most convenient / appropriate unit. .
Reply 792
Original post by zippyRN
At the present time it depends if the District you are in is recruiting - not all Districts are doing general recruitment as the Regions are still dealing with the backlog of partly completed and processed applications from before regionalisation.

There are lots of SJA units ( some may argue too many ) and if recruitment is taking place in a District or locality then you would be placed at the most convenient / appropriate unit. .

Oh okay. Thank you :smile:
Can anyone tell me what the policy on taking photos on duties is? Like could I take a group photo of me and my team before we start work?
Original post by KingGoonIan
Can anyone tell me what the policy on taking photos on duties is? Like could I take a group photo of me and my team before we start work?

assuming it;s for none commercial use and does not include any under 18s then fire away .

photos including youth members and/or patients are subject to more restrictions as might pictures used in publicity material etc
Original post by zippyRN
assuming it;s for none commercial use and does not include any under 18s then fire away .

photos including youth members and/or patients are subject to more restrictions as might pictures used in publicity material etc

Great thanks man.

We got our first freshers duty tonight and I cannot wait :smile:

Hows things at your division?
Does anyone know about transferring from St John Wales to St John England with PTA qualifications? Are they transferable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks at Zippy...
depends if the welsh PTA course has kept pace with the syllabus adjustments of the PoE+I one

transferring between and even dual membership of PoE+I and SJCW is not unknown.
Reply 799
Original post by MedicWannabe97
Does anyone know about transferring from St John Wales to St John England with PTA qualifications? Are they transferable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm having the same problem. Don't think I'm going to bother with Sja whilst in uni as its too much faf transferring

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending