The Student Room Group

Youth of Today - How smart do you think you are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
I agree that we are only taught in order to pass exams. For example, I asked the A2 Geographers at my school where China was on a world map, and they didn't know and then I asked them to talk about one of their topics they've learnt, and they could tell me all about it. We don't have that broad range of knowledge like previous generations.

A2 Geographers seriously didn't know where China was on a world map?! I would expect everyone to know where China was on a world map..
Original post by Hazular
God forbid that the government might actually consider the fact that students work harder because everything is more competive nowadays, due to -oh that's right- the government.

If anything, there is a growing anti-intellectual culture in this country.
Reply 82
The exam boards are obviously run terribly, they even make mistakes on the exam papers they publish. But at least they exist, I prefer them over having exams set and graded by the school.

I don't think exam achievement and intelligence have much in common, lower education is just a game we play.
Reply 83
Original post by RyanT

*I do object to using words like smart and intelligence as these will simply not vary between generations barring massed famines.

Very eloquently put sir.
Reply 84
If someone is intelligent, they do not need exam grades to prove it

So, yes... this generation is indeed more intelligent thanks to sources of information like the internet and professionals being much more accessible

Now just because we are more intelligent, doesn't mean a lot aren't ignorant xD
Original post by Disastor

Original post by Disastor
If someone is intelligent, they do not need exam grades to prove it

So, yes... this generation is indeed more intelligent thanks to sources of information like the internet and professionals being much more accessible

Now just because we are more intelligent, doesn't mean a lot aren't ignorant xD

The youth of today doesn't use the internet to become intelligent, rather they go in the opposite direction. :lolwut:
Reply 86
Original post by im so academic
The youth of today doesn't use the internet to become intelligent, rather they go in the opposite direction. :lolwut:

Yup, they would rather ignore what they don't like, luckily there are plenty who are open-minded :3
Reply 87
Original post by lucas13
This generation is less smart than the last, just have a look at past papers and you can see how exams are getting much easier.

The irony in this comment is mind blowing
Reply 88
Well to be honest, I don't feel as smart as the graduates of the past. But I assume that is more because of the fact they are intelligent adults with lots of life experience, so seem rather wise, and it's difficult for me to imagine them as a bright eyed under-grad.
Reply 89
i don't need gcse's or a-levels or even a degree to tell me how smart i am.
Original post by Shippy
i don't need gcse's or a-levels or even a degree to tell me how smart i am.

Or to use the shift key, either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending