The Student Room Group

Is EMA fair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anyone know if the goverment are making any changes to the 2006/7 EMA? Like changing the limits or taking into account the number people in the household.
I think its stupid

When i went to school/6th form, i didn't expect to get paid for it. I worked my ass off but wasn't getting paid to do so. At the same time i ws also working 3/4 nights a week, and having to fit in a level work. Yet i was earning less than what people in te year below were getting for EMA! still....they are going to get hit with £3000 a year fees at uni...but i'm not :biggrin: That said i imagine half of them will find a way around it
Reply 22
xXMessedUpXx
That said i imagine half of them will find a way around it

Probably wont be paying the full fees, if they get EMA. Either that, or they get loaned more money.
At our college if your over 18 you can sign your own EMA absence form. Therefore it really doesn't discourage students to miss lessons.
Reply 24
*~CARALA~*
At our college if your over 18 you can sign your own EMA absence form. Therefore it really doesn't discourage students to miss lessons.

Pathetic...then again, it is less than the dole.
Reply 25
I go to a private college and still receive it and i dont think its unfair, its just the system is wrong. My parents are divorced and i live with my mum who earns little( im at college on bursaries). I have a separate account for the money and my mum uses the money if need be and to pay for my books if need be. The rest I will use for a laptop for uni, and then somtimes some is used to pay my golf club membership etc. So in a way I am using it for what its meant to be used for but still feel its wrong and i shouldnt even be having the money to pay for clubs etc.

I think the only way the system would be fair is to keep receipts of all stuff brought which can then be claimed back, therefore the people really in need of the money get it, and the ones who dont need it probs wont bother.
Reply 26
As if they'll get 50% of people into university like this...:rolleyes:
I think it's utter **** My family is just over the allowance, but still not very well off. They need to look at the children and what they are doing
Reply 28
Why don't these people that claim they couldn't get through college without EMA just get a job like the rest of us. Those that dont receive EMA dont magically get handed £30 by their parents and normally have to work to gain any income, while those on EMA can afford not too.

Its not quite as perverse as universary bursaries that seem to give loans to those with parent with more money and a free education to those that have parents with less money. If its supposed to be paid back when you leave university why does parental income now come into the equation.
DartsOfPleasure
I think it's utter **** My family is just over the allowance, but still not very well off. They need to look at the children and what they are doing
yet my parent (divorced) earns 12k per year which has to support me, my brother and herself. Half of my £30 goes towards the internet bill...

your better off than me, for one :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Brian Wilson
yet my parent (divorced) earns 12k per year which has to support me, my brother and herself. Half of my £30 goes towards the internet bill...

You pay £60 a month for an internet connection? :confused:
sr4470
You pay £60 a month for an internet connection? :confused:
and others, which i forgot to add :rolleyes:

basically £15 of my money goes towards the bills :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Question to those that get EMA:

Do you have a job??
Reply 33
Brian Wilson
and others, which i forgot to add :rolleyes:

basically £15 of my money goes towards the bills :rolleyes:

Heh...even I dont have to pay utility bills, and I'm on benefits :confused:
JBacon
Question to those that get EMA:

Do you have a job??
yup :smile: part time in ASDA - but i'm saving that money for uni
Reply 35
Brian Wilson

How'd you get that? Asda's vetting procedure is longer than some IT and legal firms. :rolleyes:
sr4470
How'd you get that? Asda's vetting procedure is longer than some IT and legal firms. :rolleyes:
umm :confused:
Reply 37
Brian Wilson

Therefore does EMA just become a bribe for you to enter AS/A Level education. Why is it not offered to all students seeing as its obviously not for reasons other than the government purchasing votes.
Reply 38
Brian Wilson
umm :confused:

1. Application form (which includes marital status and ethnic origin as mandatory)

2. Telephone interview

3. Group session (2 hours)

4. One-on-one interview

5. Trials

6. Induction and 12 weeks training

Tad long, dont you think?
JBacon
Therefore does EMA just become a bribe for you to enter AS/A Level education. Why is it not offered to all students seeing as its obviously not for reasons other than the government purchasing votes.
:|

EMA is to encourage students from poorer socio-economic backgrounds to perform better in school, and to encourage them to stay on (see Powney, 1997). Ok, sure the government wants to raise the number of people going to uni, but they also want to encourage people from poorer backgrounds to attend uni...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending