The Student Room Group

Is EMA fair?

Scroll to see replies

I don't need any financial incentive to study hard. Here's an idea though, why not give out vouchers for things that students might need instead of cash?

Admittedly this would lead to a huge decrease in the numbers of people going into higher education (the main reason the government introduced ema was to increase the numbers), and this would be bad for the governement. So theyll probably just keep it as it is, with there still being a small minority of people spending the money on unnecessary ****.

Curse higher education targets :rolleyes:
EMA is critically flawed, but the problems with schemes such as this, is that it cannot take every individual circumstance into account. No matter how the government change the system, there will always be someone deserving of EMA who doesn't get it.
brimstone
My Dad now pays around 75% of his actual income on his mortgage of £115000. My Mum and her partner pay a LOT of their income on their mortgage. Sadly, things aren't as straight as they look...

The goverment seems to be sticking to it roots of being for the working/council estate class doesnt it and not thinking about the other people.
:frown:
What about making it based on many factors such as achieving a set number of GCSE say 5 A*-C as theses are the people that Alevels will benefit the most. As for the 30k limit what about basing it on disposable income IE the income after deduction of mortgage bill etc

This would mean that the majority of the people who waste it aren’t going to get it as they probably haven’t got the GCSE’s and if they didn’t care about their education enough then they aint going to care that much now so will probably waste it.
Reply 883
sebbie
EMA is a farce, one of my mates gets it, his dad just bought him a laptop, he has broadband, he has Sky, he's 'poor'.....

But it depends how you look at it. I know people with parents that smoke 20 a day each. What's the going rate of a 20 pack these days, about £5?

£5 x 2 packs x 365 days = £3650

You can get a basic Sky subscription + free Sky Broadband for £15/mo, which is £180/yr. Let's say a decent laptop will cost you £500. Now we have all of those things you mentioned, and by not smoking, you'd still have just under £2000 spare.
So let's imagine the bonuses were scrapped, the weekly money became vouchers for necessities rather than cash, it was much more strictly regulated (you actually need good attendance and effort, plus 5 Cs at GCSE to start with) and the number of dependent children was taken into account. Then what would people think?
kellywood_5
So let's imagine the bonuses were scrapped, the weekly money became vouchers for necessities rather than cash, it was much more strictly regulated (you actually need good attendance and effort, plus 5 Cs at GCSE to start with) and the number of dependent children was taken into account. Then what would people think?

It was fair and although i probz wouldnt get i wouldnt be against others getting it as then they deserve it unlike now when people that dont deserve it get it.
Is it fair?
Yes.

My dad has a pacemaker and has also had a triple heart bypass within the last couple of years and can now only work part time(3 days a week as a security guard) and as such earns about 14k p/a, so we're already on some benefits. I have two brothers, One aged 18 and the other 14 and we live in a 3 bedroom council flat. You might have the mental image of us being council estate scum and my father being a benefits scrounger who has more kids than he can afford but i'm afraid that he was most certainly earning enough to support us until he was sacked from his well paying job due to his age (took em to court and won). The £30 a week i'm getting now is a godsend to me in terms of being able to afford stuff for school and otherwise on my own, without getting it from my parents. I never went wanting in terms of school equipment/money for social stuff but that was mainly because of my very loving mother who would rather be in debt than let us go without.

My elder brother also recieved £30 a week, and saved most of it up to then spend the money on a laptop for uni.

A lot of the people at my school do cheat the system, but to be honest, I don't care - we live in probably the most overtaxed country in the world and even if you're earning 30k+ you've been paying even more than those who aren't - good on you if you manage to get something back in one way or another.
kellywood_5

It would be better. But there would be a huge drop in the number of people going into Higher education, which would be bad for the government. Although these people who would be deterred by the changes would have been studying for all the wrong reasons, according to the statistics, it's a loss of people who could have gone to a UNI in the governments eyes.
Nathan_Ley3
according to the statistics, it's a loss of people who could have gone to a UNI in the governments eyes.

But they probz wouldnt have gone anyway as if they are only at sixth form/college to get paid are they going to want to get loans etc to go to uni i doubt it
Reply 889
My sister missed out on the £30 because my dad earned - £40 more than the cut off thing! How annoying was that???
Reply 890
Of course its not fair, i missed EMA simply because i was one year too old, that wasn't fair at all. I wanted free money!
Of course its not fair, i missed EMA simply because i was one year too old, that wasn't fair at all. I wanted free money!

I missed paying £1000 a year tuition fees instead of £3000 simply because I was a year too young. Is that fair? No. Moral of the story: life isn't fair!
Reply 892
kellywood_5
I missed paying £1000 a year tuition fees instead of £3000 simply because I was a year too young. Is that fair? No. Moral of the story: life isn't fair!

Hehe, i think you may have missed the tone of my post, it wasnt entirely serious. :smile:
Hehe, i think you may have missed the tone of my post, it wasnt entirely serious. :smile:

Lol sorry :p: very hard to tell on the Internet!
Reply 894
No it isnt fair. The reason it annoys me is partly because I dont get it and my friend does. He has a job which an untrained monkey could do but because its long hours he gets really good pay for it. Because he gets EMA too, he gets about £400 a month,while I get £30. Without EMA he would still get £300+ but theres no reason for him to get it. And thats why I dont think its fair.
EMA is unfair when u look at our year (year12) out of 80 odd people only 7 people dont get EMA including me and most are getting the full £120 a month i also no of someone at a private girls school that is gettin 30 when her parent are paying full fees and driving around in a M6 yeah she realy needs it not.
Reply 896
Life isn’t fair; it never will be. Stop moaning about it and just get on with the situation at hand.

I spend my EMA on beer. It's so unfair that is beautiful.

Thing is though, I’m a ****ing genius. I’ll pay back into society what I’ve taken out (and then some) when I come of age.
Reply 897

I get 30 a week EMA. This monday i will receive 120 pounds!!! :biggrin: :smile: I am so happy. EMA is the best thing about college!
EMA is designed for students from poorer families so they can do the things that most students do. This includes travel, food, all the other boring and stuff and having fun. Yes, EMA is designed to give young people who stay on at college a chance to have some fun. I don't see why that is so hard for those who don't get it to understand. If you don't get EMA and your parents don't give you money. The problem doesn't lie with EMA, the problem lies with your parents.
Reply 899
RanchmanNukes
EMA is designed for students from poorer families so they can do the things that most students do.QUOTE]

lol. Just listen to yourself. Do you really think any parent earning 30k+ pa will give their students 30 pounds every week? and term bonuses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending