The Student Room Group

Quoting a quote - who do I reference?

If I want to quote a quote that is in an academic paper, then do I reference the person who originally wrote the quote, or the author of the academic paper in which I have seen it?

TIA!
(edited 12 years ago)
I had this problem, asked my tutor and she said reference the person who originally wrote the quote, and then "cited in" and then the paper you've seen it in. Both need to be referenced.

That was what I was told, anyway! :smile:
Depends on what referencing system you are using. At my uni there are a few, Business students like myself use the Harvard system in which we say 'Name' as found in 'Name' (date: page number) and then have a list of references at the end.
Harvard referencing is this for example:

"it is not biological but social conditioning that determines gender" (Jones, 1975, cited in, Giddens, 2008: 56)

It also depends if the author (say Giddens for example), has quoted the page number of Jones. If so it would be this:

"it is not biological but social conditioning that determines gender" (Jones, 1975:115, cited in Giddens, 2008: 56)
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
If I want to quote a quote that is in an academic paper, then do I reference the person who originally wrote the quote, or the author of the academic paper in which I have seen it?

TIA!

As a general rule you should cite the original location of the quote and leave it at that, unless your discussion is specifically about the the quote being quoted of course. Some universities and subjects have their own special rules, so you might want to check that out first if you care enough to avoid a lost mark or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending