The Student Room Group

What would you do in my position?

Melejjwoejejdohwbwbwiw
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi :smile:

Calm down you're only in yr11 :P
Work hard for your GCSEs, good grades will look pretty nice on an application :wink:
For A level take Biology, Chemistry and 2 others subjects you like (one of which you can drop after AS)
You'll find all the info you need on UCAS about entry requirements, etc.
Other than that, get lots of work experience and do voluntary work etc like in a care home
Reply 2
missionary
Reply 3
Bhugffftygcggho
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ant40099
Err, little problem :frown:

I cannot take A - level Biology & Chemistry because I need a grade B in {GCSE} for them both. But I'm doing btec rather than gcse. So they wont let me take the A -level for them. :frown:(

You'll have to do non- science A Levels, do well in them and then apply for a foundation course :smile:
Reply 5
BTECs are not even counted by medical school if used as substitute for GCSEs, I would guess that the same goes for dentistry.
Can't you change college/sixth form?
Entering in medicine/dentistry with BTECs is possible but it's extremely tough.
Reply 6
Err, little problem :frown:

I cannot take A - level Biology & Chemistry because I need a grade B in {GCSE} for them both. But I'm doing btec rather than gcse. So they wont let me take the A -level for them. :frown:(

I think there are colleges that allow you to take them at a level if you show high levels of skill in your BTEC, this would mean you have to move out of your current school though.
Reply 7
GCSE don't decide this really. Its the A-levels you choose you need to worry about. I think you should choose Biology, Chemistry, Maths, + 2 things you enjoy.
Bump :/...

Maybe I could ask my science department that if I get double grade A equivalents that they would let me take A-level? Although in my btec we dont do biology.

If you really really want to do dentistry and you know you have the intellectual ability. Then do it! You don't want to end up doing a job later on in life that you will hate and end up living a life of regret considering the "what if you had done dentistry".

How about taking GCSE double award science at a centre? I know it's fairly expensive as you would be paying for each exam you take and the tutor who teaches you. If you got A*/A it would be worth it and it would give you the chance to do science A-levels and dentistry.

A friend of mine from my secondary school, messed around a lot in year 10 and got put in bottom set for science. She is so intelligent, she's just gifted in the sciences. She has always wanted to do medicine, but our school forced her to do btec science because of her behaviour. In the end her mother enrolled her in a tutorial centre and she did GCSE double award science. And got an A* in core and an A in additional science. Aswell as a distinction in the crappy btec science our school forced her to do. Now she's doing AS levels in the sciences and heading towards a career in medicine.

If she could do it then maybe you can?
Reply 9
probably doggy depending on the female
Original post by geditor
GCSE don't decide this really. Its the A-levels you choose you need to worry about. I think you should choose Biology, Chemistry, Maths, + 2 things you enjoy.

OP, you do NOT have to do maths.
Reply 11
Good question to be honest :O
Reply 12
Hey, I really need some advice. I would like to know what you would do in my position. I really want to do a dentistry course at university. However I'm slightly confused on the paths and if I could do it or not.

Currently I'm in year 11.
Subjects etc,

Maths, mock grade =Predicted grade = B (GCSE)
English, Mock grade = Predicted grade = A (GCSE)
Science - Btec national certificate of applied science, level 2. Predicted distinction (A) Gcse equivalent
History - Predicting a B at gcse
Business Studies - Predicted a A at Gcse
Philosophy & Ethics - Predicted a B (GCSE)
Graphic Products - Predicted A (GCSE)
Functional skills english level 2 - Passed
Functional skills maths level 2 - Passed
Ict (Core) - Predicted Merit (B) gcse equivalent

Please Please Please, I beg to ask.. If you were in my position right now, what path would you take.. If there is any :frown: To getting into a university for dental school. What would you take at A - level? Would a university accept a btec national applied science level 3 to be taken at A-level as an equivalent? I have a strong interest in dentistry. I can take work experience at my uncles surgery as it is very succesful and he owns it. I'm also a prefect at my school which I had to apply for and compete to get it. Which involves helping others.
If you were in my shoes? How would you get there?

Ok first of all, chill out. I wish i had been as foccussed as you are at your age. I only decided in year 12 and it made things much more difficult.

Your problem is the BTEC's although equivilant technically to GCSEs they arn't generally viewed well. Having said that, it IS all about how you do at A level. If you tailor your application correctly, your GCSEs/BTECs need not affect you adversly.

You need to work your ass off and get as many A's A*'s as possible and do as well in your BTECs as you can, that goes without saying, what you need to do then is beg/write letters/change colleges, whatever you have to do and study Biology and Chemistry at A level. There are other ways but this is the best for you i believe. YOu can take non-science subjects but the number of places is miniscule and you need to have an outstanding application.

So, by hook or by crook you need to be studying A level chem and biol next september, as for the other 2 subjects. Do what you like, some people will tell you 3 sciences and Maths is the ONLY way. This is absolute rubbish, whilst alot of people do choose this combination and do very well it is not the ONLY way. For example at Leeds open day this year they said that they were beggining to encourage a wider variety of subjects as they made for more intresting dentist and showed variety of character. I personally studied Music and Business as the other 2. Art is a good one as is Design Technology, however, i would say that it might be wise to steer away from media/film/sociology, there is still some elitism out there and these subjects tend to set alarm bells ringing unfortunatley.

So obviously you need to get your 3 A's at A level, thats a given. These days everyone has academics coming out of their ears. It isn't what gets you the place these days, all good grades do is get you past the entry requirements, then they look at your UCAS form, PS etc. This is where the real difference is made. You need to start doing work ex NOW, long term commitments are good, go every week for a year or two and thats a good start. Do a wide variety of experience too, not just GP. Dental labs, hospital, ortho. It'll be difficult and for hospitals you will need to fill out reams of paperwork but its worth it! Do the duke of edinburgh award if you can. Get working on your manual dexterity, play an instrument, take up caligraphy/knitting/pottery whatever. Then make sure you have a really good PS, use the PS service on here or send it to one of the senior members, i'd be happy to look at it when the time comes.

Thats the long and short of it, remember that most unis want UKCAT aswell, its a disgusting and horrible exam but everyone has to do it. So practise for it and nail it. Some unis dont ask for it yet, Liverpool, Bristol, Birmigham and Leeds. However as the applicant numbers increase each year they are going to be pushed into using in my opinion.

Remember, its not about academics, you get those as a matter of course, otherwise you wouldn't bother applying. Make yourself stand out with work ex, volunteering and any other things you can think of.

Best of luck, hope this has helped you and anyone else who reads this who might be in a similar position. Any questions, PM me.
Reply 13
Hey, I really need some advice. I would like to know what you would do in my position. I really want to do a dentistry course at university. However I'm slightly confused on the paths and if I could do it or not.

Currently I'm in year 11.
Subjects etc,

Maths, mock grade =Predicted grade = B (GCSE)
English, Mock grade = Predicted grade = A (GCSE)
Science - Btec national certificate of applied science, level 2. Predicted distinction (A) Gcse equivalent
History - Predicting a B at gcse
Business Studies - Predicted a A at Gcse
Philosophy & Ethics - Predicted a B (GCSE)
Graphic Products - Predicted A (GCSE)
Functional skills english level 2 - Passed
Functional skills maths level 2 - Passed
Ict (Core) - Predicted Merit (B) gcse equivalent

Please Please Please, I beg to ask.. If you were in my position right now, what path would you take.. If there is any :frown: To getting into a university for dental school. What would you take at A - level? Would a university accept a btec national applied science level 3 to be taken at A-level as an equivalent? I have a strong interest in dentistry. I can take work experience at my uncles surgery as it is very succesful and he owns it. I'm also a prefect at my school which I had to apply for and compete to get it. Which involves helping others.
If you were in my shoes? How would you get there?

I think you should email the dental schools for advice and let them know of your situation. Tell them that you had no choice but to sit the BTEC in your school.

I think you should also write to colleges and explain to them the situation.

How do you feel about spending a year after high school doing only chemistry, biology and physics gcses with a college and then doing your a-levels after? so you'd be taking a gap year between high school and college and doing your 3 science gcse subjects and maybe even doing dental work experience and voluntary work. I know someone who did this because her school only offered GNVQ science.
Reply 14
Yeahhhh you aren't going to do dentistry.

Quick Reply

Latest