The Student Room Group

Becoming a TA after gaining QTS

Hi all,

I am currently in the third year of my three year undergrad in BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS and I will be graduating in July. After much thought about what I will be doing come September time, I have considered looking for full time TA positions.

I am aware of some of the positives and negatives of this role, such as the obvious pay difference, and sometimes may even being asked to cover classes which wouldn't be work of my pay grade.

However, my uni has told us all that teaching jobs in the North West are few and varied at the moment, and I like the idea of gaining classroom experience for a year before going on to start my ECT years.

Has anyone been in this position before? And have any recently graduated teachers with QTS took on a full time TA role before going on to teaching? What are the benefits/negatives you have experienced?

My main worry is that if I do get a TA position, it would make me look like a weaker candidate in future teacher interviews as I did not graduate and look for an ECT role.

Thanks!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by abbiefenerty
Hi all,

I am currently in the third year of my three year undergrad in BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS and I will be graduating in July. After much thought about what I will be doing come September time, I have considered looking for full time TA positions.

I am aware of some of the positives and negatives of this role, such as the obvious pay difference, and sometimes may even being asked to cover classes which wouldn't be work of my pay grade.

However, my uni has told us all that teaching jobs in the North West are few and varied at the moment, and I like the idea of gaining classroom experience for a year before going on to start my ECT years.

Has anyone been in this position before? And have any recently graduated teachers with QTS took on a full time TA role before going on to teaching? What are the benefits/negatives you have experienced?

My main worry is that if I do get a TA position, it would make me look like a weaker candidate in future teacher interviews as I did not graduate and look for an ECT role.

Thanks!

I don't think it would make you look weaker. However, I do question the motivation of TAs. They do an amazing job which is incredibly challenging. And for that I am pretty sure the pay works out at less than minimum wage. The pay for TAs is an insult if you ask me. Good on you if you are going for it but I don't think I could ever be a TA. Too challenging for too little pay. You'd be better off working in Tesco! How sad is that?

Good luck!

PS - you could always apply for jobs anyway. In for a penny, in for a pound and all that!
If your motivation is due to lack of jobs in your area, then I would apply for what you can and see where you get to. The ECT years are there to support new teachers with little experience and so if employed by a school they will be aware of your inexperience and concerns and are there to support you. Getting your first class is such a joy and if you have worked hard to become a teacher, I would recommend you go for it. Saying that, if you feel you are not confident enough, then working as a TA is a viable and positive option. I have employed many TAs (some with QTS), with varying motivations, who have gone on to teach. Remember though, in either case, to do your homework and find out about the schools you are applying to so that the culture and support matches what you need. Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Aly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending