The Student Room Group

Difference between BSc Hon and BSc Econ Hon

Looking at university courses to take and I want to do Sociology with Criminology but two universities offer different awards the one is BSc Hon and the other BSc Hon Econ what is the difference? :smile:
Econ is economics. Might be a mistake on the website if it is not economics.
Reply 2
Original post by Huwtrosky
Looking at university courses to take and I want to do Sociology with Criminology but two universities offer different awards the one is BSc Hon and the other BSc Hon Econ what is the difference? :smile:

Which universities?

It could just be departmental or similar. Southampton's BSc Economics is officially BSc SocSci Economics because it's taught by the School of Social Sciences, hence the SocSci in the award.
Reply 3
Original post by BigVitaminD
Econ is economics. Might be a mistake on the website if it is not economics.

I think BSc Econ can be used as the title for any social science degree, not just economics. Economics is supposed to be the "dominant" social science, and pretty much any social science leads back to it somehow - although possibly in quite obscure ways...
Reply 4
Well I actually have a Bsc Econ (Hon) - it just means that you will be a Bachelor of Science and Economics, as oppose to just a Bachelor of Science. In reality, it doesnt make any difference at all when applying for jobs etc.
Reply 5
A lot of time it's completely irrelevant. There are a few subjects where a university may offer a BSc and a BA in the same subject, in which case there tends to be some difference in e.g. the coursework / exam balance or in the content (e.g. cuddly theoretical social sciences vs very empirical social sciences). But it's basically completely arbitrary and your employer will never care. I, for instance, have a BA (i.e. a bachelor of ARTS) in Biological Sciences :biggrin:
Reply 6
Understood! Cardiff University was offering Sociology with Criminology BScEcon Hons http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QsLE8wfOmnGOH87NuSzvP50ECkzP1-4JIS/HAHTpage/search.HsDetails.run?n=1079892 while Glamorgan Uni was offering the same course with just BSc Hons :smile: thanks for clearing it up for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending