The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY UNIT 2 HIGHER CHY2H January 2012 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by pi-thagoras
Was that first part a question?
I'm kidding, but the advantage of the larger surface area is faster transfer of heat, so that would be a relevant answer.

I just don't see how surface area helps if it is surrounded by other pieces of metal anyway. :confused: The question was about air gaps that were bad conductors so the obvious answer would be to fill them in with nanoparticles of the metal. The fact that they have a large surface area is neither here nor there in my opinion. However i'll post your solution on the mark scheme to be fair and ask people to make their own minds up referring to our conversation:smile:
Reply 181
Does anybody remember Q1a) ii) ???
And for Q7a)iii) do you think 'the monitor will take a longer time to respond, as there is a small amount of carbon compared to graphite, an so there is reduced conductivity' ???
Thank-You :smile:
Metaltron, I'm not sure that the gel was metal other than the silver nanoparticles, but I see what you mean.
Reply 183
Original post by pi-thagoras
Metaltron, I'm not sure that the gel was metal other than the silver nanoparticles, but I see what you mean.

Oh was it a gel! I forgot about that... I think there's a higher chance of them accepting that now but my only problem now is that exposed surface area surely decreases conductivity as it is not connected to any other pieces of metal.
The nanoparticles were interspersed so there's more chance of the heat being transferred away quickly, I think.

what does every one think the grade boundaries are going to be
What do you reckon will happen,
would the examiner not be able to see my answer since I drew the question about the electronic structure in pencil...
which question was electronic structure
Original post by heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy
which question was electronic structure

When we had to draw the electrons in the circles?
For the last question I put that by using graphite the screen could brake easily because graphite has 2 atom layers and there are weak intermelcullar forces between the layers therefore can brake easily when a force is applied.

Other people said that by using graphite the screen is no longer transparent .
Reply 190
Original post by alex321
for 5a) i) Electrons don't carry heat do they? Therefore it would be the fact they're packed closely together (sorry if i'm wrong)
And 5a) ii) should it be a higher surface area?
Good paper I think :smile:

I'm sure the actual question was just to explain the structure of metals wasn't it? I think it was just the question information that referenced conducting heat...
Reply 191
hope i did well
(edited 12 years ago)

what does every one think the grade boundaries are going to be

Probably quite high I assume, something like 35-38 for an A*...
I personally believe that metaltron is incorrect
Easy A*
Reply 195
OMFG....."jackywebber" are you the real JACK WEBBER?!
OMG!!!!
Original post by nataliekwong
What do you reckon will happen,
would the examiner not be able to see my answer since I drew the question about the electronic structure in pencil...

Should be fine - on most papers I've done they say draw diagrams in pencil :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by StateSchooler95
I swear I've seen one that gives you full marks.

Hey ho, i'm not complaining I used the textbook method. I was praying empirical formula came up on the exam, my maths skills are impeccable.

oooooooooo
Reply 198
Probably 37 for an a*- considering that although many of the questions were straightforward, there was a question on empirical formula. Moreover, many people would have gained poor marks on the first question. Some even missed out the electronic structure question!! 42 maybe for 100 ums.
Original post by momo26396
Probably 37 for an a*- considering that although many of the questions were straightforward, there was a question on empirical formula. Moreover, many people would have gained poor marks on the first question. Some even missed out the electronic structure question!! 42 maybe for 100 ums.

Its normally just 3 marks above the a* grade for 100 ums.. last time there was empirical formula and questions on graphite the boundaries were 34 for an a*.. so they should be around 37-38 for 100 ums..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending