The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY UNIT 2 HIGHER CHY2H January 2012 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

An A* would be more like 38! Everyone found it really easy and i wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.
Reply 141
Original post by echobreeze
An A* would be more like 38! Everyone found it really easy and i wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.

The UMS for 100 will be something like 42/45. It was a fairly good paper. The paper from this year in the summer that we did as a mock was also quite easy, I got 43/45. Only because I memorised the specification...
Original post by Nistar
This exam in comparison with Biology had much smaller, simpler questions that correlated with the mark scheme quite well.

Did the ethanol have weak intermolecular forces AND was it a simple covalent structure? I wrote that and can only hope it's right...

No it was weak intermolecular AND simple molecular. Don't worry a few people i know made the same mistake.:wink:
Reply 143
No it was weak intermolecular AND simple molecular. Don't worry a few people i know made the same mistake.:wink:

I don't know what you mean. Ethanol both has intermolecular forces and is a simple covalent structure, just like water!
Original post by Nistar
The UMS for 100 will be something like 42/45. It was a fairly good paper. The paper from this year in the summer that we did as a mock was also quite easy, I got 43/45. Only because I memorised the specification...

Yeah you're right. I think I did ok but I forgot 3a because I didn't even realise it was there - two easy marks down the pan! Hopefully it is more like 41 so it will compensate for my silly mistake!
Reply 145

As in simple molecular with covalent bonding? Only the diagram for the structure of ethanol involved sharing electrons and that's covalent bonding. Hope the examiner doesn't mis-interpret what I wrote, then.
Reply 146
Yeah you're right. I think I did ok but I forgot 3a because I didn't even realise it was there - two easy marks down the pan! Hopefully it is more like 41 so it will compensate for my silly mistake!

Ah don't you worry, I'm sure it'll be fine. :biggrin:
Original post by metaltron
I don't know what you mean. Ethanol both has intermolecular forces and is a simple covalent structure, just like water!

Oh right sorry i meant simple molecular covalent. Not sure if you need to write the whole thing to get the marks though.:smile:
What do you reckon the grade boundaries are for an A?
Reply 149
Oh right sorry i meant simple molecular covalent. Not sure if you need to write the whole thing to get the marks though.:smile:

Makes more sense. :smile:
Any idea if c3 is any hard?
according to the unofficial markscheme I think I got around the 40's. Hopefully this is true, god bless....

The Saviour
Reply 152
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-CHY2H-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

This paper was 38 for an A*. I think it was easier than today's paper because it had no empirical formula, no half equations and the question that people missed will surely help lower the grade boundaries!
Therefore I think grade boundaries will be 33/34 for an A* this year. Hope I'm right as I'm sure lots of you would have then got A*s.
Reply 153
Hello, Does 'Evaporation' count as a correct answer for 3b?
Reply 154
It's worth noting that usually when an Empirical Formula question raises its head, the grade Boundaries are often lowered because of the amount of people who haven't got a clue how to answer them
Reply 155
does it make a difference whether it is Fe2O3 or O3Fe2?
Reply 156
Original post by raxyx7
Hello, Does 'Evaporation' count as a correct answer for 3b?

hey i think it was filtration as it was a solid precipitate
Reply 157
Original post by Ice Man

Original post by Ice Man
Seems good, looks like i dropped approx 3 marks, for the question about why nano particles are better, i put: because they would have a larger SA (for same volume) so the transfer of heat would increase. Did anyone else write something similar to this, and think that it is correct?

Yes, same!!! There could be more than one answer though...
Yesterday today one of my science teachers said that in the exam, only the stuff that is wrote on the dotted line is read. Is this true? Otherwise ive ****ed it.
Original post by Welbeck
does it make a difference whether it is Fe2O3 or O3Fe2?

Yes. Your a dumbass for thinking Iron Oxide is written as OFE :L

But no, they wont penalise you for that. Full marks pal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending