The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The OU vs. Top Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In response to the OP the OU will never compete with the likes of Oxbridge, or even the Russell unis in terms of prestige. There is good reason for this in terms of science as the new degrees are un-named and have neglible practical content.

It used to be a cheaper option as well, however course fees are being hiked massively this year so forget that.

The only reason I would study at the OU is flexibility. And whether this is a benefit depends on how much self discipline you have.

I have done 2 degrees with the OU and got 2 Firsts. The second one was biology/chemistry and I did in 2 years whilst working full time. So yes, if you are motivated you can do it.

Given the choice though I'd go for a brick university anytime though (Have a degree from one of these too).
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
As cptKernow says, the OU was created to supplement the university sector, not rival the brick universities, although I'm not sure that's how the current government sees it!! :rolleyes:

There is the temptation to think that the OU might be a bit lightweight because you can begin and complete a degree without ever having attained a lower qualification. But it's often forgotten that for several OU degrees you have to apply to do them because they're overseen by a national body and have specific entry requirements. Examples include the PGCE, The BA in Social Work, the town planning MA (provided jointly with other unis) which is the only recognised distance learning path that will get you RTPI recognition. Plus there's all the foundation degrees aimed at people already working in the related field.

Many other programmes are clearly top class such as the MBA with its global recognition. The LLB is provided with the College of Law so that presumably is pretty good. And there's professional recognition for many of its science and humanities degrees provided you do the required modules. So all in all I think a good OU degree will make you competitive in the jobs market. Wish I had one!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
personally id advise against such a course of action for the sole reason that whilst the OU is by no means not respected it doesnt compare with the likes of durham and especially LSE whose employment options are truly outstanding :smile: also if planing to study whilst traveling it could put a serious strain on it however if you think youre good enough to pull it off without damaging your study theres not really any reason [bar the prestige and your already mentioned reasons] why you shouldnt try it but i will reiterate if you get offers from durham or LSE take them :smile:
Reply 23
Yes had to check what Mintriok hoped to study. Criminology and international development. A degree focussing on those subjects could look a bit woolly to some employers so may be the more prestigious the university he goes to, the more chance that the degree will impress.
Reply 24
am2962, thanks for the heads-up re: massive amount of books/notes supplied; I've heard people saying also that a lot of materials are being computerized so I'm going to call them up to inquire about my specific modules. With regards to the examinations, I believe that one is allowed to change the venues, for a small fee. If that works out I'll probably arrange my exams in "friendlier" countries/cities and arrive at least a month prior to familiarize myself with the environment. Since I will be studying full-time, taking 120-credits yearly is mandatory (self-imposed), and if I find it hard to cope the travel will have to be sidelined. Thanks for your concern! I will definitely check out the forums too.

IIys, really; 5 months? I am also considering this, though traveling and returning to "home ground" and then setting off again is very different from country-hopping without backtracking.

cptKernow, I definitely agree that the OU is less prestigious than Oxbridge/ American Ivies, though in terms of recognition (of rigor of degree coursework, exams etc.) I'm hoping it does not lag far behind. This is because my primary goal of this is enrolment in a Master's degree, and go employer opinions are less important. I noticed you singled out the (natural) sciences in your argument; what is your opinion for the social sciences? Thanks for your input!

Nitebot, I picked up on that too, though if anyone questions my decision to study in the OU, I will explain that it's not for the lack of alternative routes (i.e. traditional universities). I will be able to back that up with A level results as well as university offers, to put them at ease! Thanks for your faith in the OU degrees. Criminology and international development may seem unrelated or unimpressive, but if I'm applying for a job with a non-governmental organization, I think I can explain decently my intentions of studying the aforementioned. A degree from a prestigious university is definitely more convincing, though, like you said, and this is turning into a really really tough decision to make!

cl_steele, I have received an unconditional offer for Durham, and you're right that it's hard to reject!

Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest