The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

In two minds

Hi

I am considering taking a history degree as I am interested in history. I had thought about doing this a couple years ago but never took the plunge. I currently work in admin in the NHS and wanted a back up in case things change in the future but also because I am interested in learning.

I have done a few vision2learn courses and the last one was Understanding Autism which did involve alot of time doing course work and planning my time outside of work in order to complete assignments. It was challenging and gave me the spark to want to do my OU degree.

I have done two years of a nursing diploma and this was 10 years ago so was before the funding changes. I only came out with a cert in higher education as they didnt count my second year, I had to leave due to health reasons. I vowed never to go back to uni as it caused alot of stress and also it was difficult managing multiple modules and also doing placements at the same time. I think that is what made it difficult. I have talked to other OU students and some did the nursing programme and moved to history and they said its alot less demanding as you are only doing one module at a time.

Anyways I have had look at the funding and I could get a student loan as I have enquired with them and despite my previous study I still can do this. I am just concerned that it seems like alot of money but I know that its really a graduate tax. I have just noticed that the funding has changed to plan 5 which means that you only start paying once you hit 25k. My current job I dont see my pay going that high up. I am happy where I am but i did want a qualification back up in case things do happen. I have come to realise I am a planner and I need to know alot before making the decision.

I am also concerned about doing assignments as I have done vision2learn courses but they were level 2 work so GCSE level. I have seen some history disertations from the OU and they look like wow I am not sure I could do that.

Is there any other OU history students out there,

Thanks.
Surely you would be better off doing a nursing degree, especially since you already work within the NHS. At least there is a job at the end of it, whereas history is quite a bit riskier.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Veet Voojagig
Surely you would be better off doing a nursing degree, especially since you already work within the NHS. At least there is a job at the end of it, whereas history is quite a bit riskier.

I did nursing diploma but didn't qualify as I lost my hearing also the multiple.modules and placements was so stressful. I say changing my job to be a student nurse again is more risker
Hi just for clarification with the understanding autism course is that because your autistic (I am) or because you know someone or just were learning more about it
Reply 4
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi just for clarification with the understanding autism course is that because your autistic (I am) or because you know someone or just were learning more about it

I did it because I have family members who are autistic and wanted to know more.
Original post by caitlinreads
Hi

I am considering taking a history degree as I am interested in history. I had thought about doing this a couple years ago but never took the plunge. I currently work in admin in the NHS and wanted a back up in case things change in the future but also because I am interested in learning.

I have done a few vision2learn courses and the last one was Understanding Autism which did involve alot of time doing course work and planning my time outside of work in order to complete assignments. It was challenging and gave me the spark to want to do my OU degree.

I have done two years of a nursing diploma and this was 10 years ago so was before the funding changes. I only came out with a cert in higher education as they didnt count my second year, I had to leave due to health reasons. I vowed never to go back to uni as it caused alot of stress and also it was difficult managing multiple modules and also doing placements at the same time. I think that is what made it difficult. I have talked to other OU students and some did the nursing programme and moved to history and they said its alot less demanding as you are only doing one module at a time.

Anyways I have had look at the funding and I could get a student loan as I have enquired with them and despite my previous study I still can do this. I am just concerned that it seems like alot of money but I know that its really a graduate tax. I have just noticed that the funding has changed to plan 5 which means that you only start paying once you hit 25k. My current job I dont see my pay going that high up. I am happy where I am but i did want a qualification back up in case things do happen. I have come to realise I am a planner and I need to know alot before making the decision.

I am also concerned about doing assignments as I have done vision2learn courses but they were level 2 work so GCSE level. I have seen some history disertations from the OU and they look like wow I am not sure I could do that.

Thanks.

Remember that a history dissertation will be done in final year - that's the "capstone" of the degree. They won't expect you to do that from the outset! The whole point is that the degree will develop over time all the tools you need to succeed in that kind of work later :smile: Your first assignments will be smaller and more guided and you will gradually work your way up yo bigger pieces of work like that.

The other good thing about the OU is thay you can vary how many credits you take each year to some extent so you can start with a smaller number of credits and see how well you can balance that with your current work. Also note the OU doesn't have formally timetabled lectures or anything - the learning is self directed although you'll have a tutor and the module forums to discuss things as you go and will have tutorials every month or so.

As a result its very feasible to balance OU study with working, you can find the hours that suit you to sit down and work on yoru OU assignments!

I'd recommend trying it out - you can always do one module and see how it goes and just take it one at a time afterwards if you do want to continue with that :h:
Reply 6
So, are you still going to do history?
Reply 7
I think you really need to think about what career you want to pursue, and then work backwards to figure out what/if any qualifications you need. What do you want to do long term?
Original post by caitlinreads
Hi
Thanks.

@caitlinreads
Hi Caitlin, thank you for the brilliant work you have been doing for the NHS.

It sounds like a distance learning course would be perfect for you if you are working full time, there are a few options these days with the Open University and also Arden.

I think its best thinking about the alternate career you might want first and then match up the course with it. A lot of Universities are making cuts to humanities departments for finance reasons, but they often start by looking at ones with weaker progression data (which is why art also suffers).

if you did want to do history, perhaps you could do a PGCE after it and teach? Sure you would be great at that :smile:

Have you had a chat with the National Careers Service?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest