The Student Room Group

Binomial Expansion is simple till this question...

the coefficient of x^2 in the binomial expansion of (1+x/2)^n, where n is a positive integer, is 7.

Find the value of n

Okay so I can do things like (1+x/2)^4 etc but this is quite tricky. I tried to look on yahoo answers but it was talking in terms of summation and I don't know what that is.

We've been taught to do factorials on the calculator and I just self taught myself the formula: nCr, I'm guessing I should substitute the n in it and then replace the r with 0 1 2 but it doesn't work out.

Please could the mathematicians on TSR help me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What formula are you using for the binomial expansion? There are (at least) two versions commonly used, and for this problem it makes a difference.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Gum
What formula are you using for the binomial expansion? There are (at least) two versions commonly used, and for this problem it makes a difference.

if the question is (2+x/5)^10

we set it out like this:

1(2)^10
10(2)^9(x/5)

We haven't really learnt a formula just been taught how to do factorials on the calculator but I just taught myself this formula: nCr= n!/ (n-r)! r!
Reply 3
If you know n!(nr)!r!\dfrac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} I am not sure why you cannot do the question

Do you know what n!(nr)!\dfrac{n!}{(n-r)!} cancels down to
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
If you know n!(nr)!r!\dfrac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} I am not sure why you cannot do the question

Do you know what n!(nr)!\dfrac{n!}{(n-r)!} cancels down to

no :colondollar:
Reply 5
Do you know what n! means?
Reply 6
Original post by Roshniroxy
if the question is (2+x/5)^10

we set it out like this:

1(2)^10
10(2)^9(x/5)

We haven't really learnt a formula just been taught how to do factorials on the calculator but I just taught myself this formula: nCr= n!/ (n-r)! r!

So what does the x2x^2 term of (1+x/2)^n look like when you do it this way?
Reply 7
Do you know what n! means?

n multiplied by the previous numbers, like 3! is 3*2*1. So would i do n*n-1*n-2 ?
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Gum
So what does the x2x^2 term of (1+x/2)^n look like when you do it this way?

this is what i've come up with:

1(1)^n=1n
n(1)^n-1(-3/2x)=n^n-1* -3/2x
?(1)^n-2(-3/2x)^2= ?

question mark because I tried using the formula to find nC2 and I got this n!/(n-2) 2! but I didn't know how to derive an answer
Reply 9
So if n! = n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)........... etc

What would (n-2)! be and what would be left if you cancelled
Reply 10
So if n! = n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)........... etc

What would (n-2)! be and what would be left if you cancelled

hmmm I think we'll have to write it out like this then:

n!/(n-2)! 2!= n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-n)/ (n-2)(n-1)* 2

Right or wrong ?
Reply 11
this is what i've come up with:

1(1)^n=1n
n(1)^n-1(-3/2x)=n^n-1* -3/2x
?(1)^n-2(-3/2x)^2= ?

question mark because I tried using the formula to find nC2 and I got this n!/(n-2) 2! but I didn't know how to derive an answer

So far so good, and this is what TenOfThem has been addressing. You really do need to spot the pattern of the cancelling. (n-2)! gives all the factors of n! except for two factors - (what two factors?) - and these are all that is left in the numerator after(n-2)! is cancelled from top and bottom.
hmmm I think we'll have to write it out like this then:

n!/(n-2)! 2!= n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-n)/ (n-2)(n-1)* 2

Right or wrong ?

I am asking what you have left if you do n!(n2)!\dfrac{n!}{(n-2)!}

or what do you get if you do (n)(n1)(n2)(n3).....(n2)(n3)......\dfrac{(n)(n-1)(n-2)(n-3).....}{(n-2)(n-3)......}
Reply 13

or what do you get if you do (n)(n1)(n2)(n3).....(n2)(n3)......\dfrac{(n)(n-1)(n-2)(n-3).....}{(n-2)(n-3)......}

n(n-1)
OK

So n!(n2)!2!=n(n1)2!\dfrac{n!}{(n-2)!2!} = \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2!}

and there you are
Reply 15

Original post by Mr Gum
So far so good, and this is what TenOfThem has been addressing. You really do need to spot the pattern of the cancelling. (n-2)! gives all the factors of n! except for two factors - (what two factors?) - and these are all that is left in the numerator after(n-2)! is cancelled from top and bottom.

I get it !

(1+x/2)^n

1(1)^n=1^n
n(1)^n-1(x/2)=n^n-1*x/2
n(n-1)/2* (1)^n-2(x/2)^2= .....n^2-n/8

then I make n^2-n/8 = 7 and rearrange right ?
Reply 16

Original post by Mr Gum

Both of you are the best ! Thanks for your patience and step by step directions, I understand it, yippeee :biggrin:
:biggrin:
Reply 18
Reply 19
Do you get n=8, just to check if I've done it right? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest