The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Tue 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aa234
instead of using etahnoic acid youre using ethanoic anhydride. Now the reaction with the propan2ol produces the exact same ester that you would get with ethanoic acid and propan2ol yet with the anhydride you get ester+acid instead of ester+water. This is because of the anhydride, look at the structure of the anhydride, (ch3co)2 o, theres 2 molecules of ethanoic acid joined together (with the elimination of water) so therefore when you react it with the alcohol, one of the acid reacts and the other one just reforms. Does that help in any way?

ohhh right now i get it easy thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 781
Do we need to memorise the monomers required to form Terylene, Kevlar, Nylon-6,6 and so on? In past exam papers they've always given us the monomers needed.

Also do we need to know the reactions from the AS units in detail for the synthesis topic? I'm familiar with most of them but it doesn't mention you need to know them in the textbook.
Original post by otrivine
still the paper was not that easyyyy there were some tricky parts to it like the cyclic dimer

We did this paper in class and to be fair that was the only tricky question. Every other question was do-able. There are bound to be questions which will be 1 or 2 marks which are really though and my teacher gave us some helpful advice, don't waste your time if it's only a 1 or 2 marker! OCR like throwing these in every exam. Apart form that every question was regurgitated and repeated in past papers. The NMR question at the end was pretty straight forward aswell
Original post by SmithytheDrummer
Chemistry help.jpg

As you can see, there is no water formed.

is this right

CH3COOCH2CH(OH)CH3?
Original post by spacemud
Do we need to memorise the monomers required to form Terylene, Kevlar, Nylon-6,6 and so on? In past exam papers they've always given us the monomers needed.

I'm not sure and I need clarification of this aswell. I'm sure they'll give you the individual monomers but I need reassurance that this is the case.
is this right

CH3COOCH2CH(OH)CH3?

Not quite, it's CH3COOCH(CH3)2
Original post by HnnahCleverly
We did this paper in class and to be fair that was the only tricky question. Every other question was do-able. There are bound to be questions which will be 1 or 2 marks which are really though and my teacher gave us some helpful advice, don't waste your time if it's only a 1 or 2 marker! OCR like throwing these in every exam. Apart form that every question was regurgitated and repeated in past papers. The NMR question at the end was pretty straight forward aswell

True :smile: thanks for the advice
[QUOTE="HnnahCleverly;38189897"]
Original post by spacemud

I'm not sure and I need clarification of this aswell. I'm sure they'll give you the individual monomers but I need reassurance that this is the case.

http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9910_kd_gce_spec.pdf? page 46
Not quite, it's CH3COOCH(CH3)2

i dont get after the O how you got the CH(CH3)2?
Reply 789
ohhh right now i get it easy thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

no worries :smile: you know on june 2012 question 5b part 2, about the structure of the compound with c4h11no2, how did you do that one? I dont get it :frown:
Reply 790
Original post by IDontSleep
Struggling on the (b) side to this Q. Hoping you can help, been stuck for ages. Please explain steps. Thanks

dont have the answer but you might want to have a look at this video ... he teaches from the ocr spec and his got some really good videos on F324

http://www.youtube.com/user/bradyexplains/videos (2nd and 3rd vid for nmr)
Original post by Aa234
no worries :smile: you know on june 2012 question 5b part 2, about the structure of the compound with c4h11no2, how did you do that one? I dont get it :frown:

you mean tomorrows paper JUNE 2012? :eek:
i dont get after the O how you got the CH(CH3)2?

Ok so the structure of propan-2-ol is CH3CH(OH)CH3. When it reacts with the ethanoic anhydride the OH group becomes an O bonded to the ethanoic part. So it has a central C bonded to one H, one O and two CH3 groups
Original post by IDontSleep
Struggling on the (b) side to this Q. Hoping you can help, been stuck for ages. Please explain steps. Thanks

i just did this question.

i got the answer by looking at the chemical shift of the 2.7 one. On the data sheet the environment responsible for it is HC=O only one of the esters has this type of proton environment.
Reply 794
you mean tomorrows paper JUNE 2012? :eek:

lmaoo sorry, i meant june 2010 haha
Reply 795
Original post by niaghez
how would cyclohexane-1,4-diol show up on an NMR? it says 3 peaks and area of 1:1:4. but whyyyy

Answer p.png

Does that help? I know it's probably just confusing :redface:
Hang on, ill try make it bigger...
Edit: forget it got to go now :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aa234
lmaoo sorry, i meant june 2010 haha

was it drawing that impurity?
[QUOTE="SmithytheDrummer;38189920"]

Ahh thanks for that! Relieved! :smile:x
Ok so the structure of propan-2-ol is CH3CH(OH)CH3. When it reacts with the ethanoic anhydride the OH group becomes an O bonded to the ethanoic part. So it has a central C bonded to one H, one O and two CH3 groups

this is embarassing but i dont get it ! its the after the oxygen that confuses me so you mean
the OH group becomes O does in that happen at C=O-O ?
[QUOTE="HnnahCleverly;38190029"]

Ahh thanks for that! Relieved! :smile:x

Noo problem, I got worried the night before in January and learnt them, so I decided to trick my friend into learning them too out of anger and he did not take too kindly to that..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending