The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Tue 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clad in armour
so why the hell in june 2011 6 a part ii, do they completely ignore it and dont count it
not having a go btw :tongue: just very perplexed

http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_11_jun/ocr_66605_pp_11_jun_gce_uf324.pdf?

because thats an ester and an Amide. :smile:
Original post by atman7
There won't be anything big just small markers I think the past papers are relatively good with the answers to majority of the questions about it. I'd say limitations is probably something that's not been up

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks. There are quite a few definitions as well for chromatography (Rf values, retention time) but anyway...

Limitations of TLC:
- Rf values are similar for similarly structured compounds
- Unknown compounds have no reference values to compare to
- To compare unknown compounds the same conditions are needed, for example exact same solvent
- It is hard to find a good solvent for each sample. The components cannot dissolve too much in the solvent as they will not be separated, likewise they cannot adsorb too much on to the stationary phase as they will not be separated.

Limitations of GC:
- Retention times are similar for similarly structured compounds
- Unknown compounds have no reference retention times
- Compounds with similar retention times, can remain "hidden" behind other compounds in higher concentrations and therefore will not be detected.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Megan-89
Its because its next to a N so its a peptide... I think :smile:

You're clearly a Biologist :wink:
Original post by Magickal
Because the two C=O are part of the amide/peptide and ester groups :smile:

that would indeed make more sense, thanks very much :smile:
Original post by pete clark
because thats an ester and an Amide. :smile:

yep, makes sense thank you :smile:
questions
Reply 986
Can anyone explain question 4 a on jan 2011 for me? write the equation for the reaction between ClCH(CH3)COOH and excess ammonia
Reply 987
Original post by Megan-89
Can anyone explain question 4 a on jan 2011 for me? write the equation for the reaction between ClCH(CH3)COOH and excess ammonia

It would turn to ClCH(CH3)COO-NH4+
Reply 988
You're clearly a Biologist :wink:

Indeed I am :tongue:
everything else im not even remotely worried about...its the NMR that i just can not get into my head..ive got 20 hours better get down to it
Reply 990
For anybody struggling with NMR use this website, it is an absolute godsend
http://www.spcollege.edu/SPG/science/Musgrave/nmr.htm
Original post by magickal
it would turn to clch(ch3)coo-nh4+

h2nch(ch3)coo-nh4+ ...
h2nch(ch3)coo-nh4+ ...

That's what I thought. Excess ammonia will react with the COOH but also the halogen Cl on the other end :smile:
Reply 993
Can anyone confirm that on p89 the Heinemann textbook, worked example 2 is partially wrong since the molecular formula is C8H10 instead of C8H8?
Original post by racheatworld
That's what I thought. Excess ammonia will react with the COOH but also the halogen Cl on the other end :smile:

correct. :smile:
low resolution NMR spectra:
-AREA under each peak is in direct proportion to the number of protons responsible for the absorption,
-it's useful for identifying:
-the number of types of protons from the number of peaks,
-the type of environment of each proton from the chemical shift,
-how many protons of each type from the integration trace,

-we can interpret the spin spin coupling pattern using the n+1 rule. For n-adjacent protons, the number of peaks is a multiplet = n+1,

high resolution NMR spectra:
-the chemical shift shows spin spin coupling pattern-it identifies the type of proton responsible for each peak,
-the n+1 rule can be used to identify the number of adjacent protons,

TMS:
-it's chemically inert and doesn't react with the sample,
-it's volatile and easy to remove afterwards,
-it absorbs at a higher frequency than other organic compounds, so that it doesn't overlap with the sample,
-all other peaks measured relative to TMS, it's chemical shift is set at zero,

D2O:
-The OH and the NH peaks have chemical shifts that are variable and sometimes outside the range,
-when alcohols, carboxylic acids or amines are dissolved in water, there is a rapid exchange between the protons in the functional groups-labile protons-and the protons in the water,
-if water is replaced with deuterated water (D2O), the peak at H disappears. The H proton is replaced by deuterium which doesn't absorb in this region of the spectrum,

-when samples are prepared for NMR it's often necessary to dissolve them in a suitable solvent,
-solvents containing hydrogen are clearly unsuitable as the hydrogen atoms in the solvent would also be detected and thus interfere with the spectrum. This is overcome by using deuterated solvents such as CDCl3,

Chirality:
-Can exist as plane-polarised light, optically active,
-extremely difficult to synthesise laboratory, it contains 50/50,
-only one of the isomer has the correct shape and is pharmaceutically active, vital that it's isolated,
-chiral chromatography is required,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 996
I completely forgot about the NH3 reacting with Cl too >.<

Also guys if you missed it, this website is amazing for NMR:
http://www.spcollege.edu/SPG/science/Musgrave/nmr.htm
Reply 997
h2nch(ch3)coo-nh4+ ...

Ah ok thanks! I just reacted it with the cl to get h2nch(ch3)cooh I forgot about reacting it with the carboxylic acid aswell :smile:
Reply 998
Original post by pinkcherrytart
everything else im not even remotely worried about...its the NMR that i just can not get into my head..ive got 20 hours better get down to it

I wasn't so confident at it the Brady videos on YouTube are pretty good explaining it and it's for our spec have a look :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 999
can someone the dimer question in jan 2012...really dont get it :s
thanks much X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending