The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F325 Equilibria, Energetics and Elements Wed 13 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by otrivine
so would i get full marks or not?

I'd say 2 or 3 marks, because some things weren't that clear - don't hate me though! Have you done F325 past papers?
Original post by Cath-ay
I'd say 2 or 3 marks, because some things weren't that clear - don't hate me though! Have you done F325 past papers?

yes and i got full marks for these types of question cause u get a mark for writing the equation second mark for saying moving to left then third mark for moving to right?
Original post by Cath-ay

yes and i got full marks for these types of question cause u get a mark for writing the equation second mark for saying moving to left then third mark for moving to right?
Reply 263
Original post by Dan12
I made it up, think about it if you add Na to phenol you'll form phenol and conjugate base (phenoxide). It's a synoptic question.

Oh I see, aren't buffer solutions produced using a weak acid and it's salt? It'd make more sense if it was benzoic acid :tongue:
Original post by Cath-ay
Is that from an actual paper?
Since when can you make a buffer solution from an alcohol :/ do tell...

Phenol is not an alcohol!!! It acts as a weak acid, whereas benzene... Erm doesn't :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 265
Original post by Cath-ay
Oh I see, aren't buffer solutions produced using a weak acid and it's salt? It'd make more sense if it was benzoic acid :tongue:

phenol is a weak acid and to form the salt you add Na.
Reply 266

Er yeah usually. But if it's worth 5 marks they'd like you to say that the H+ reacts with the alkali and CH3CHOHCOO- reacts with the acid.
Original post by Cath-ay
Er yeah usually. But if it's worth 5 marks they'd like you to say that the H+ reacts with the alkali and CH3CHOHCOO- reacts with the acid.

yes true :wink: can i have more
Reply 268
Original post by Dan12
phenol is a weak acid and to form the salt you add Na.

Oh dear, I deserve a fail in unit 4 not an A, haha. I shall shut up before a make an even more fool of myself.
Thanks for pointing that out though. Need to go over unit 4.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 269
yes true :wink: can i have more

Which has a more exothermic LE and why?
MgI2 or NaI
Original post by Cath-ay
Which has a more exothermic LE and why?
MgI2 or NaI

MgI because it has a smaller atomic radius and has a greater charge density than NaI therefore more energy is needed to break bonds
Reply 271
MgI because it has a smaller atomic radius and has a greater charge density than NaI therefore more energy is needed to break bonds

Must say that Mg2+ has the smaller ionic radius and greater charge density - not MgI2 as it's a compound. Also Mg2+ has a greater attraction to I- rather than bond breaking.
My advice is to look at the MS more carefully, especially the additional info column.
Original post by Cath-ay
Must say that Mg2+ has the smaller ionic radius and greater charge density - not MgI2 as it's a compound. Also Mg2+ has a greater attraction to I- rather than bond breaking.
My advice is to look at the MS more carefully, especially the additional info column.

I wanted to say these but just did short form with key words only but in exam I am going to write those
More please
Reply 273
I wanted to say these but just did short form with key words only but in exam I am going to write those
More please

Mkay, I have to go to bed now - long day lol. Tomorrow?
Original post by Cath-ay
Mkay, I have to go to bed now - long day lol. Tomorrow?

Yes sure :wink: and tomorrow I am more fresh for new questions :wink: thank you :smile:
Original post by silver0
I'm basically doing similar revision to you, and I hope to finish this week then concentrate on past papers next week :smile: damn this unit is hard...

:smile: It feels like i'm sitting more of a maths exam, been looking through my notes and it's all calculations except for transition metals, dreading that topic :s
Original post by mathsclown
:smile: It feels like i'm sitting more of a maths exam, been looking through my notes and it's all calculations except for transition metals, dreading that topic :s

do u want to revise?:wink:
Reply 277
Original post by mathsclown

Yes me too! i do so badly in the maths questions, the questions can be really weird and confussing and then I don't really know how to go about it and aswer the question...

do u want to revise?:wink:

If you're good at the maths questions you could explain them more if you want :wink:
Original post by silver0
Yes me too! i do so badly in the maths questions, the questions can be really weird and confussing and then I don't really know how to go about it and aswer the question...

If you're good at the maths questions you could explain them more if you want :wink:

sure like what for example which part in particular ?
Reply 279
sure like what for example which part in particular ?

Well I don't think I'm very good at titration questions, and I missed the entropy lessons so I'm still confused on how to do the free energy calculations like finding the minimum temperature..
I don't know how you could help me, as it might be tricky on here haha, I'm close to doing more revision on these topics anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending