The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS4 2012 - 21 June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know what leadership styles these people have?

Stephen Elop of Nokia? And Hirai Kazou of Sony?
Original post by gavinkelleher
i seriously hope you get a U :smile: :smile: :smile:

LOOL
Reply 782
Ive added a couple more I revised today
Original post by jordania
T&M
Cadbury/ kraft
daimler/chrysler
Tata/JLR
Loreal/bodyshop
Santander/Abbey
RBS/ abn ambro
News corp/ sky
Morrisons/safeway
IAG
Itv/friens reunited
Instagram/facebook
Google/motorola

Political
News corp/sky
Heinz
Loyds tsb/abbey national
Northern rock
JLR

CSR
Co op
Apple
M&s
Divine chocolate
Kit kat
Top shop
Starbucks

Leadership
Terry leahy
Steve jobs
Richard branson
Stephen elop
Howard Schultz
Willie walsh

Globalisation
Joseph joseph
Tesco
John lewis
JLR
Top shop
coca cola
Kellogs

Demographics
B&Q
Divine chocolate

struggling with cost synergies, can only think of IAG, Santander abbey, cant think of any contrasting examples

Is there enough examples there which I have revised
Reply 783
Original post by Ricardo12345

stephen elop is kinda in the middle- on one hand hes brutally honest, he tells staff how it -is seen as an autocratic approach, however he does listen to staff and uses their suggestions to improve the business

the other guy i have no idea :biggrin:
Reply 784
Original post by Ricardo12345

Can't really tell you about their styles but Elop has cut 40,000 jobs in Nokia since he became CEO.
Reply 785
Original post by croasdaj
Haha top effort! I got 88 in January! so need 92 for an A*, can be done! an A gets me into university so what happens, happens :smile:

I think I lucked out to be fair! Yeah exactly, I don't need the A* but it'd be nice to haha!
Reply 786
For CSR do you think you could talk about tax avoidance? e.g. Amazon apparently operating in Luxemburg etc, I know you could for political/legal quite easily but would it be a bit too off topic?

I know my tutor has said in CSR you can argue a company that pays its taxes is doing its social responsibility by paying them so could you relate tax avoidance as it's legal but unethical?
Reply 787
hey guys, i just wanted to ask do you think it will be possible to make a business up in the exam? one that obviously makes sense and relates to the point being made.
Reply 788
Original post by Sully@sjc
hey guys, i just wanted to ask do you think it will be possible to make a business up in the exam? one that obviously makes sense and relates to the point being made.

NO! :eek: If examiners don't recognise the name of the business they will google it and if nothing comes up you won't get marks for research and if you've clearly made it up i.e. they google the business name and nothing comes up I think they could probably penalise you for it
Reply 789
Which case studies link to the political enviroment?
News Corp/bskyb?
any others in general?!
Reply 790

Not gonna lie, our teacher said you could haha :smile: she used to be a examiner for AQA, there's nothing to say its a local business who wont appear on google! :smile: but i would advise you learn real life businesses
Reply 791
Original post by riamj21
NO! :eek: If examiners don't recognise the name of the business they will google it and if nothing comes up you won't get marks for research and if you've clearly made it up i.e. they google the business name and nothing comes up I think they could probably penalise you for it

ahhh damn ! i thought i could get away with it if it sounded legit. what if i use a real business thats didnt really experience changes.
Original post by riamj21

That technique worked so well at GCSE in RE hahaha, so many made up Bible quotes and i still pulled off the A* - but as you say, just dont do it for business, ever.
Could someone quickly check this sample paragraph and tell me what they think?
My teacher didn't teach us how to answer them!

To what extent does a large firm need to grow through mergers and takeovers?

(sample FOR paragraph)

To a large extent firms choose to achieve growth through mergers and takeovers as they see it as an opportunity to increase profits. M&A's allow firms to enter new markets, which ultimately increases their target market. This therefore allows a wider product portfolio, leading to hopeful increases in profits, leading to potential growth. When Kraft took over Cadbury for £11.5 bn in 2010, their main motive was to enter the confectionary market within the UK. Although the takeover was largely overvalued in price, resulting in short term problems, in the long term profits increased dramatically, proving a large success to achieve growth. In contrast, when Pearson took over Edexcel, for a more reasonable £20 million, short term success was evident, allowing them to focus on long term growth. This therefore shows how many firms can indeed achieve growth through mergers and takeovers, and for many it allows both shot term and long term success.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 794
Can someone tell me what cost synergies is please?
Reply 795
Original post by croasdaj
Not gonna lie, our teacher said you could haha :smile: she used to be a examiner for AQA, there's nothing to say its a local business who wont appear on google! :smile: but i would advise you learn real life businesses

haha ! i b***** my way through all my mock essays and didnt get marked down, but it was only my teacher marking. And yeh your right but id only make it up if i was extremely stuck!
If anyone wants a PowerPoint with loads of detail in it for some late revision, pm me your email and I'll send it over.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
Reply 797
Original post by RMA1
Which case studies link to the political enviroment?
News Corp/bskyb?
any others in general?!

Heinz > HP No interference at all

Loyds tsb > abbey national- govt blocked the deal

JLR/ TATA > Govt encorouge open economy- tata invested 5bn

Kraft/ cadbury- Cadbury law - to protect british business from takeover

cant think of anymore
Reply 798
ahhh damn ! i thought i could get away with it if it sounded legit. what if i use a real business thats didnt really experience changes.

Haha I know it'd be alright if you could! I can just imagine if you did it you're guaranteed to get an ass of an examiner that'll look every detail up. Yeah I think you might be able to get away with that to be honest, as long as it's a fairly generic point it'd probably be ok! :smile:
Reply 799
Original post by imsosuperman
Could someone quickly check this sample paragraph and tell me what they think?
My teacher didn't teach us how to answer them!

To what extent does a large firm need to grow through mergers and takeovers?

(sample FOR paragraph)

To a large extent firms choose to achieve growth through mergers and takeovers as they see it as an opportunity to increase profits. M&A's allow firms to enter new markets, which ultimately increases their target market. This therefore allows a wider product portfolio, leading to hopeful increases in profits, leading to potential growth. When Kraft took over Cadbury for £11.5 bn in 2010, their main motive was to enter the confectionary market within the UK. Although the takeover was largely overvalued in price, resulting in short term problems, in the long term profits increased dramatically, proving a large success to achieve growth. In contrast, when Pearson took over Edexcel, for a more reasonable £20 million, short term success was evident, allowing them to focus on long term growth. This therefore shows how many firms can indeed achieve growth through mergers and takeovers, and for many it allows both shot term and long term success.

Thanks a lot.

good mate, maybe throw in a definition of M&A's and quickly say how potentially risky they are. 70% of them fail, bit of info for you there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending