The Student Room Group

Cheaper car to insure

I'm looking for a first car any ideas what models are reliable and cheap on insurance. I was shocked today to see a 2012 fiesta was cheaper to insure then a 2006 one despite the 2012 being nearly 2k more expensive!
Reply 1
The reason the 2012 fiesta is cheaper to insure is most likely because it has a 1L engine, compared to the 2012 one having a 1.4L engine I believe. The smaller the engine, the cheaper the insurance should be.
The 2012 model is quite a bit ahead of the 2006 on safety & security features and ratings so likely counts in it's favour for insurance

Things like remote locking and an alarm count a lot to insurers, and a lot of base Fiestas don't have them as standard (esp early generations), the 2012 one got a 5 star safety rating in 2012, the 2006 got a 4 star in 2002... meaning if tested under 2012/todays standards it may well have slumped to a 3/3.5

Original post by Marjanul
The reason the 2012 fiesta is cheaper to insure is most likely because it has a 1L engine, compared to the 2012 one having a 1.4L engine I believe. The smaller the engine, the cheaper the insurance should be.

Fiestas have at least half a dozen engine options each, while insurers do take it into account a fraction of a litre isn't the be all and end all, especially taking into account that more of Fords modern engines are turbo ecoboosts so trying to judge them on displacement alone can be misleading, even their hot hatch ST is only a 1.5/1.6 engine, compared to it's old 2004 2.0
Original post by Rohan007best
I'm looking for a first car any ideas what models are reliable and cheap on insurance. I was shocked today to see a 2012 fiesta was cheaper to insure then a 2006 one despite the 2012 being nearly 2k more expensive!

The reasons that newer cars can be cheaper to insure than older ones are a) because the newer the car, the more safety features they have and b) because if you have a newer car, you are more likely to look after it (and are seen less risky by the insurance).
Cars to look into are- nissan micra, hyundai i10, hyundai i20, hyundai getz, kia picanto

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending