The Student Room Group

Medicine/Dentistry - What do I need to do?

Im currently doing Psychology, English Literature, Chemistry & Biology in AS at a grammar school. I have decided I am definitely going into uni and hopefully to go on and do Medicine or Dentistry. I am very interested in biology and although I don't find it the easiest of my 4 courses I find it very interesting, along with psychology. In terms of English i am good at it but I don't find it as interesting, Chemistry, I find hard. I should get A's in all 4 subjects in my AS with the possibility of a B in chemistry however. In my GCSES i got 5A*'s, 3A's, 1B 2C. I have recently been thinking about doing dentistry or medicine possibly through doing bio medicine and medicine afterwards. I feel like they are good careers and I know they're extremely competitive I just need tips on how to improve my chances. I feel I have the ability I just need to apply it a lot more. I currently do voluntary work at a struggling primary school teaching children to read but nothing else.

If any one could give me tips on how to better my applications and also the key things what uni's look for in a candidate that would be of great help

Thanks!
Reply 1
Get as much experience as possible and universities may brush aside your B if you show a lot of enthusiasm. Get hold of care homes, hospitals, dentists, medical simulation centres, pharmacists, medical labs, St John ambulance...whatever you can that is medical related and get as much as you can! I was told by a GP that they like to see a long term commitment so perhaps helping at a care home for 9-12 months shows that you're serious about care work. Work experience placements at hospitals are quite competitive so just asking around as many different areas as possible is great. I am currently about to do a shadowing day at a simulation centre of a medical school and going for experience at a dentist and I'm only in year 11 so get as much as you can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending