The Student Room Group

Dentistry or medicine

Hi, can someone help me with the choice between dentistry or medicine. Ofc at the end it's my decisions but I feel like I just need help with deciding.
Medicine
Reply 2
Choosing which you love would be better as you will be doing it for 5 or 6 years. Also, dentistry is competitive than medicine by the way so you should know what that means; not going to say much.
Reply 3
Original post by dblackathena
Medicine

Is this from experience and what are ur reasons for it?
Reply 4
Original post by Jack39
Choosing which you love would be better as you will be doing it for 5 or 6 years. Also, dentistry is competitive than medicine by the way so you should know what that means; not going to say much.

yes of course, I feel like they are similar but also very different from each other, so I guess I have to do more research and see which one is for me. Thanks for the help!
Plenty of factors to consider. Do you like doing procedures? Do you like interacting with patients directly? Having potentially long term relationships with them? Do you want to develop some level of entrepreneurship in starting your own business at some point? Do you want to focus on a really specific area and be an "expert"? Do you prefer to work in a hospital or a more community oriented setting? These are all questions that might help you weigh up differences between the two.

Also, have you done work experience in both areas?
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Plenty of factors to consider. Do you like doing procedures? Do you like interacting with patients directly? Having potentially long term relationships with them? Do you want to develop some level of entrepreneurship in starting your own business at some point? Do you want to focus on a really specific area and be an "expert"? Do you prefer to work in a hospital or a more community oriented setting? These are all questions that might help you weigh up differences between the two.

Also, have you done work experience in both areas?

OK thank you for the help!
Original post by bobbbobb
Hi, can someone help me with the choice between dentistry or medicine. Ofc at the end it's my decisions but I feel like I just need help with deciding.
It's completely up to you! Try shadowing in both fields and see which one you can picture yourself doing. That's what I did and I ended up choosing dentistry and I don't regret it.

A lot of medical students and junior doctors I speak to wish they took dentistry instead of medicine but it's up to you which field you find more interesting and can see dedicating 5 years at uni and your entire career to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending