The Student Room Group

Clearing

I accepted an offer for pharmacy but still want to see what courses are in clearing is there a way to do this without rejecting my offer as I want to see if there's any options for med or dentistry.
Reply 1
You are unlikely to see dentistry or medicine places coming up in clearing. These courses are heavily over-subscribed so don't need to go into clearing. Besides you need to have completed the BMAT or UCAT exams - did you do that? If not then the med schools will not consider you.

You can hold a firm place for pharmacy and when clearing opens, you can see what courses are available. If you fancy a different course you can reject your firm offer, enter clearing officially and then phone up the uni and course you prefer and ask if they will take you. There is a risk they may not and in which case you have lost your firm place.

If you end up getting great A levels and want to study dentistry or medicine take a year and apply next year. Enrol now for the UCAT exams which run from July to Sept and assuming you get 2800 out of 3500 on your UCAT exam then you can apply to study medicine. There are online sites that can help you prepare for the UCAT exams - for a fee.

Be aware you will need a personal statement that indicates your passion for the subject, getting A*A*A and a UCAT of 2800 will probably get you an interview but at the interview, your personal statement will come into play and if you have not gotten work experience in a hospital and shown a passion for medicine then you will not get past the interview stage.
As above, if you are aiming for med or dentistry it would be best to take a gap year, prepare for UCAT/BMAT and then reapply.
Reply 3
Original post by sleep_supremacy
As above, if you are aiming for med or dentistry it would be best to take a gap year, prepare for UCAT/BMAT and then reapply.

I'm taking gap year rn and dint get any offers due to my ucat so id rather just do pharmacy because it seems a good degree and do grad entry dentistry otherwise I'm happy with pharmacy as well
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
You are unlikely to see dentistry or medicine places coming up in clearing. These courses are heavily over-subscribed so don't need to go into clearing. Besides you need to have completed the BMAT or UCAT exams - did you do that? If not then the med schools will not consider you.

You can hold a firm place for pharmacy and when clearing opens, you can see what courses are available. If you fancy a different course you can reject your firm offer, enter clearing officially and then phone up the uni and course you prefer and ask if they will take you. There is a risk they may not and in which case you have lost your firm place.

If you end up getting great A levels and want to study dentistry or medicine take a year and apply next year. Enrol now for the UCAT exams which run from July to Sept and assuming you get 2800 out of 3500 on your UCAT exam then you can apply to study medicine. There are online sites that can help you prepare for the UCAT exams - for a fee.

Be aware you will need a personal statement that indicates your passion for the subject, getting A*A*A and a UCAT of 2800 will probably get you an interview but at the interview, your personal statement will come into play and if you have not gotten work experience in a hospital and shown a passion for medicine then you will not get past the interview stage.

If I see options for med or dentistry in clearing can I keep my firm choice and call the uni with the free courses and ask them if they'll take me and if they say yes then reject my firm offer as I do not want to take a second gap year and do not want to lose my firm if it means i don't get into med or dentistry
Reply 5
Original post by sleep_supremacy

If I see options for med or dentistry in clearing can I keep my firm choice and call the uni with the free courses and ask them if they'll take me and if they say yes then reject my firm offer as I do not want to take a second gap year and do not want to lose my firm if it means i don't get into med or dentistry
Original post by Rohan007best

No you can only use clearing if you are holding no offers. You cannot have your cake and eat it as they say.
Reply 7

It won't work that way. There will be candidates with the requisite UCAT score and work experience who applied to that med school, passed the interview and were offered a place which they accepted. They may have missed the asking grade and gotten AAB or A*BB. These people will be offered a position over you - someone that did not even apply to them to study medicine, someone without a UCAT score and relevant work experience.

You will not get into med school this academic year.
Reply 8
Original post by mike23mike
It won't work that way. There will be candidates with the requisite UCAT score and work experience who applied to that med school, passed the interview and were offered a place which they accepted. They may have missed the asking grade and gotten AAB or A*BB. These people will be offered a position over you - someone that did not even apply to them to study medicine, someone without a UCAT score and relevant work experience.

You will not get into med school this academic year.

but I did do the ucat and applied to med schools this year I was rejected a place due to low UCAT score
Reply 9
but I did do the ucat and applied to med schools this year I was rejected a place due to low UCAT score

Ok, so 4 med schools have already rejected you because of your low UCAT score. What has changed that any med school should
now offer you a place via clearing?

Take Manchester med school for example. They regularly get 1200 to 1500 applicants a year. Of which about 60% get an offer = 800 offers. All the 800 students who received offers achieved a high UCAT score and did well in the interview stage - Manchester deemed them suitable and offered them a place. Why would Manchester Med school consider you over this pool of applicants who they offered a place to? They have a pool of 800 students who they can pick from.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending