The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OH MY GOD. Dermatology is the most boring ****ing speciality known to man. Dreading my clinical session on the wards tomorrow because our consultant is a derm.

Although it might be more relevant than practicing our abdo exam on a patient with epilepsy :facepalm2:
creepy stalker sub :colone:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Dermatology is the most boring ****ing speciality known to man. Dreading my clinical session on the wards tomorrow because our consultant is a derm.

Although it might be more relevant than practicing our abdo exam on a patient with epilepsy :facepalm2:

Dermatology is crap. If its wet dry it, if its dry wet it, if you have no idea refer to dermatologist.

Does it matter if you practice on a patient with no signs? I clerk every patient with an examination of all the core systems (well a brief interpretation of it) +/- NS, MS, etc. Most patients with epilepsy have no neurological signs.

My final incourse clinical assessment ever is this week. Its kind of strange. Cant wait to leave my medical school (as long as i qualify and hopefully with an MBBS).
Original post by fairy spangles
Dermatology is crap. If its wet dry it, if its dry wet it, if you have no idea refer to dermatologist.

The worst topics are ones you find hard.
Dermatology is pretty damned hard.

But when you get it right it is sucha buzz. To be able to get a diagnosis by pattern recognition and simply using your eyes and your brain rather than running a gazillion tests.

I find everytime there is a clinical topic I don't know or find hard I intrisically dislike it and find it 'boring'.
But once you get to grips with it you realise there are depths to it.

Does it matter if you practice on a patient with no signs? I clerk every patient with an examination of all the core systems (well a brief interpretation of it) +/- NS, MS, etc. Most patients with epilepsy have no neurological signs.

Well yeah kind of. We do plenty of practice on each other and we're all pretty confident in terms of doing the motions. We go to the hospital specifically to see clinical signs so it seems really pointless doing it on a patient with irrelevant pathology. It is a wasted opportunity. If I wanted a normal examination I could do that at home instead of commuting to the university hospital.

It's just a bit annoying when you hear that other students got the chance to, for example, feel what a cirrhotic liver is like because their consultant took them to the appropriate patients.
(edited 12 years ago)
OH MY GOD. Dermatology is the most boring ****ing speciality known to man. Dreading my clinical session on the wards tomorrow because our consultant is a derm.

I have no interest in doing it - but it really wasn't that bad!

Maybe you don't get great teaching?

It's cool because the stuff for you to work out what it is is all external there for you to see
bloody bull**** essays
(edited 12 years ago)
I quite like dermatology :getmecoat:
I'm ambivalent towards the subject but it seems that Dermatologists love me for no apparent reason hence why I find the rotation to be generally very pleasant.
Reply 29
I hate social science. I hate writing essays on social science. I hate having to find references to back up my opinions on social science. To clarify, I hate social science.
Reply 30

Not a huge fan of Dermatology myself - slightly creeped out whenever I hear the expression "lake of pus"... Also, last (and luckily only) time we were in the Derm ward, we were sent to this interview this patient the consultant was all excited about because "he had to tell her she had SLE, she doesn't know yet" and when we got there she was like "yeah I've know that for 20 years..." to us. Oopsy. And last week in the Paeds ward there a little girl with a lovely scalp abcess which was a cute little mixture of afro hair, pus, scabs and pediculosis...nomnomnom. :colone:

Original post by DexterM
Aha, shiny new thread. I will aim to do more talking and less lurking. *secretly stalks you all from afar*

Wooo, a Dexter fan? :biggrin:

---

On a fairly unrelated note, have any of you ever had a colonoscopy done? Oh gawd I feel like such a troll asking this but I'm dreading the prep... :frown: :frown:
Cant wait to leave my medical school (as long as i qualify and hopefully with an MBBS).

What happened to all the 'ZOMG might as well kiss my own arse thrown away 5 years' chat that was going on a week ago? :confused:
Original post by Skwee

On a fairly unrelated note, have any of you ever had a colonoscopy done? Oh gawd I feel like such a troll asking this but I'm dreading the prep... :frown: :frown:

Make sure you get some midazzle.

Now, I'm pretty sure I failed my B&B exam but abdo exam on elipesy patient? Wat?

I must say I'm not a particulaly big fan of dermaholiday but you do get some gruesome pictures to show your mates down the pub.
Original post by Skwee

Prep isn't bad at all, and you'll barely remember a thing. I was cracking jokes for 30 or so minutes but don't remember it.
Original post by digitalis
What happened to all the 'ZOMG might as well kiss my own arse thrown away 5 years' chat that was going on a week ago? :confused:

Hence the if i qualify and if i can get my MBBS!! It still stands now more than ever!
I am pretty screwed but at the same time i just want to leave i cant stand the place any longer.
Hence the if i qualify and if i can get my MBBS!! It still stands now more than ever!
I am pretty screwed but at the same time i just want to leave i cant stand the place any longer.

Damn, I can't keep up! :colondollar:

Not long to go now, we can do it...then you will be free of the shackles of med school!
Reply 37
Am writing a essay on the origin of circadian rhythems. It's quite interesting - and dare I say, enjoyable. Oh and can someone take my affiliation off the front page please.
Reply 38
Cheers people. :smile:

Hah I will definitely make sure I get sedation! I think it's pretty standart to get a sedative of some description for colonoscopies here, although for upper GI endoscopies you only get it if you specifically ask for it (I didn't, and managed ok, but it was hardly pleasant). I imagine I'll have to book 2 days off uni though - one for prep and one for the actual thing? (Mhmmm, days off.:colone: Urghhh, weird tubes.:eek:)
Reply 39
I found someone with SJS on a stroke ward on my run of nights last night. That was, interesting...

Latest

Trending

Trending