The Student Room Group

A level choices - especially thoughts on drama and medicine

I applied to do Drama, Geography and Economics but I'm now rethinking - I dont want to be an actor so is doing drama compeletly pointless and i dont know if its well enough regarded. Ive dobe lamda grades and all the school plays and i love it but is another subject that i could also do well in a better use of my time? also im dyslexic and its quite a lot of writing at a level.
Also I think I'm going to swap economics for biology but should i swap drama for chemistry because i would quite like to do medicine -I never thought about it before because I thought i wasnt good enough at chemistry; I had this really bad teacher and i got 6s and 7s. but i just got my mocks back and they went so well - i think i could do well. The thing is, I really like biology but my feelings about chemistry are mixed - i dont know if its worth it. I got 8s in drama geograhy & biology, 9s in chem and physics.
anyways anyone went thru anything similar? sorry its so long - thank u!
Original post by lmdelmfrl4m
I applied to do Drama, Geography and Economics but I'm now rethinking - I dont want to be an actor so is doing drama compeletly pointless and i dont know if its well enough regarded. Ive dobe lamda grades and all the school plays and i love it but is another subject that i could also do well in a better use of my time? also im dyslexic and its quite a lot of writing at a level.
Also I think I'm going to swap economics for biology but should i swap drama for chemistry because i would quite like to do medicine -I never thought about it before because I thought i wasnt good enough at chemistry; I had this really bad teacher and i got 6s and 7s. but i just got my mocks back and they went so well - i think i could do well. The thing is, I really like biology but my feelings about chemistry are mixed - i dont know if its worth it. I got 8s in drama geograhy & biology, 9s in chem and physics.
anyways anyone went thru anything similar? sorry its so long - thank u!

hey! as a fellow lamda student and theatre lover, I would say don't do drama a level if you don't want to pursue it as a career. you only have 3/4 options at a levels, so chose things suitable for your career or broad subjects (e.g. maths) if you aren't sure about your career. for medicine, you need chemistry as a requirement to get into any uni for medicine, and biology is almost mandatory. alongside this, taking maths, psychology or physics is recommended (maths is preferrable).
Reply 2
Original post by burnt_t0ast
hey! as a fellow lamda student and theatre lover, I would say don't do drama a level if you don't want to pursue it as a career. you only have 3/4 options at a levels, so chose things suitable for your career or broad subjects (e.g. maths) if you aren't sure about your career. for medicine, you need chemistry as a requirement to get into any uni for medicine, and biology is almost mandatory. alongside this, taking maths, psychology or physics is recommended (maths is preferrable).

ok thank you! could i do medicine w geograohy chemistry and biology?

yes you could, but most unis prioritise students with maths or similar so check out courses from different unis to see if they'll accept it. I'm going into engineering so I wouldn't know much
Reply 4

Absolutely yes nearly every uni in the country require two sciences with at least one of bio or chem (sometimes both) and don't specify what the third subject needs to be. for context I did chem, maths and music and I still had plenty of options for places that I could apply to
Hello medic here, I did maths, chemistry and biology in A levels. Majority of Uni's want chemistry, and some want biology as well. You can do whatever you want as a third subject, you do not have to do maths you can do geography! Also if you want to continue drama for fun, you don't have to study it, most uni's have a vast array of drama societies, which I enjoyed taking part in whilst studying medicine. In fact now working 2 years into the NHS, I am applying to MA acting courses in drama school lol. Also there are many other factors to play when applying to med school such as the personal statement, UCAT/BMAT and interviews. As long as you have both chemistry and biology you should be fine!

Yes, that's fine for any medical school except Cambridge.. You could also do drama as the third if you want to, as that would be acceptable for any medical school except Cambridge, Liverpool, or UCLAN.

See this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
Original post by burnt_t0ast
yes you could, but most unis prioritise students with maths or similar so check out courses from different unis to see if they'll accept it. I'm going into engineering so I wouldn't know much

No they don't. Only one medical school in any way prefers (or more specifically, it's necessary to achieve competitive outcomes in the interview) a third STEM subject, which is Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest