The Student Room Group

UK Rap

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ROYP
Only just remembered Sway. Used to have that This Is My Demo which was decent.

I used to play the hell out of that album.
Reply 61
Original post by ugk4life
I used to play the hell out of that album.

It's good man. One of the few UK albums I really listened to for more than a week.
Original post by J.Star

Yeah definitely no lyrical content there :s-smilie:

O yeah Chester P forgot about him, now what could of made me forget about him? hmm......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBvngg87998

That's it, it was that

Lol but seriously Chester P is lyrical but his music is BORING and that's the problem we have here in the UK when we get lyrical emcee's the chances of them making a good album/ mixtape is slim due to the fact that over here they seem to think being lyrical is who chucks out the biggest words in one line and that's why I say they suck cause look at Nas, Mos Def, Wu-Tang, Jay-Z, Biggie and so on there lyrical as f*** but at the same time they can make good music and 5 star albums without chucking out too much words in a line, sorry to say let alone again but rappers here need to learn more about hip-hops past rather than hip-hop present day form.
Reply 63
A rare gem in the wasteland of UK hip hop

Reply 64
Original post by 6iX
Sorry mate, UK rap suck donkey balls lol, they talk about the same B.S. american mainstream artists do and remix everything they do and to add the remixes they do sound way worse than the originals.

who said we're talking mainstream UK or American artists?

Original post by 6iX
Now If you want guys that can actually rap listen to Big K.R.I.T. & Kendrick Lamar.

Yeah, Kendrick Lamar

"Marijuana, endorphins, make you stronger, stronger, I'm in the house party trippin off" ADHD - Section 80 (2011)

"Not good from far, 90 miles per hour down Compton Boulevard, with the top down, screaming we don't give a ****, drink my 40 ounce of freedom while I roll my blunt, 'cause the kids just ain't alright" Ronald Reagan Era - Section 80 (2011)

Because rapping about drugs and Compton isn't mainstream...
Original post by 93M
who said we're talking mainstream UK or American artists?

Yeah, Kendrick Lamar

"Marijuana, endorphins, make you stronger, stronger, I'm in the house party trippin off" ADHD - Section 80 (2011)

"Not good from far, 90 miles per hour down Compton Boulevard, with the top down, screaming we don't give a ****, drink my 40 ounce of freedom while I roll my blunt, 'cause the kids just ain't alright" Ronald Reagan Era - Section 80 (2011)

Because rapping about drugs and Compton isn't mainstream...

I'm not picking on gangster/ drug/ mainstream rap **** NO! is like what i said before I listen to Raekwon, he talks about drugs on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. 2 and I listen to Lloyd Banks and he talks about gangster s*** on The Cold Corner (1st one CLASSIC MIXTAPE), I'm just saying for me UK Hip-Hop as a whole is s*** underground and mainstream, sorry its just the TRUTH, they lack what artist like Black Thoughts, Lupe Fiasco (Food & Liquor & The Cool NOT! Lasers), Nas, Mos Def, Andre 3000 and so on have.

I don't why people insist to make a argument over this the US are just better, Newyork is the mecca of the art end of.
Original post by ROYP
Only just remembered Sway. Used to have that This Is My Demo which was decent.

That's my point lol
Reply 67
Original post by 6iX
I'm not picking on gangster/ drug/ mainstream rap **** NO! is like what i said before I listen to Raekwon, he talks about drugs on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. 2 and I listen to Lloyd Banks and he talks about gangster s*** on The Cold Corner (1st one CLASSIC MIXTAPE), I'm just saying for me UK Hip-Hop as a whole is s*** underground and mainstream, sorry its just the TRUTH, they lack what artist like Black Thoughts, Lupe Fiasco (Food & Liquor & The Cool NOT! Lasers), Nas, Mos Def, Andre 3000 and so on have.

I don't why people insist to make a argument over this the US are just better, Newyork is the mecca of the art end of.

I totally agree the US is better for hip-hop, no UK artist even comes close to Nas. It is getting better though and a lot of it is completely different, just people's tastes really.
Original post by 93M
I totally agree the US is better for hip-hop, no UK artist even comes close to Nas. It is getting better though and a lot of it is completely different, just people's tastes really.

Thanks, that was my whole point cut short but I guess the way I came across to the people on here was a bit harsh but at the same time true.

I do agree that its getting a bit better over here but still no cigar in my ashtray lol
Reply 69
Original post by 93M
Any recommendations for UK Rap? Such as:

Wordsmith

Poisonous Poets

Dirty Dike

Dabbla/Jam Baxter (LDZ)

Please don't post Example or Professor Green, I am well aware of their musical exploits.

I don't listen to UK rap much and I assume you're not interested in grime

I only listen to a bit of Lowkey and that's because I like his political movements too
Reply 70
Original post by zKlown
I don't listen to UK rap much and I assume you're not interested in grime

I only listen to a bit of Lowkey and that's because I like his political movements too

I am interested in grime, what else apart from the usual ghetts, devlin, kano, p money, dot rotten, maxsta, wiley, scorcher, griminal, giggs?
Cheers :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by 93M
I am interested in grime, what else apart from the usual ghetts, devlin, kano, p money, dot rotten, maxsta, wiley, scorcher, griminal, giggs?
Cheers :smile:

M.I.K
Trim
Merky Ace
Jendor
Rival
Marger

There just a few personal faves of mine right now, probably recognise Jendor and Trim anyway. Check them out when you can!
Reply 72
UK rap is the best
K koke is my fav, then sneakbo and squeeks, cashtastic, dot rotten, love that real talk .
and drake rates sneakbo said so himself, giggs has won a BET, don't even start if you think uk rap is **** compared to american.
Reply 73
2 GOATs on one track

Reply 74

That was ****ing godawful. :facepalm:
Original post by Jingers
I never understand why people listen to rap for social commentary. Why would you want to be brainwashed into someone else's views who's rapping about the media brainwashing everyone?

It's not hard to pick up a book and form your own opinion. I never get why people try so hard to be anti when really they're just being sheep.

You clearly don't understand anything about artists such as Akala, for example.
Reply 76
Original post by EwanHarvey
You clearly don't understand anything about artists such as Akala, for example.

I was talking about Lowkey, Logic and all their affiliates in particular.
[video="youtube;TVXvKC0boQg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXvKC0boQg[/video]
Reply 78
old skoool

[video="youtube;wYwwkInPl44"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYwwkInPl44[/video]
[video="youtube;9GHrroIss7o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHrroIss7o[/video]
uk boyz to men

Quick Reply

Latest