The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by khala
Hi i was wondering what grades were you given an offer for when you applied to dentistry and what was the conditional offer for. Since i want to apply to dentistry but i want to make sure its not out of my league if i do apply.

What you need to do is go and do some proper research. People on here won't thank you for asking obvious questions that you can easily find the answer to using google. The entry requirements are basically all the same for the 13 undergraduate schools. AAA with A's in chemistry and biology. Sometimes there are some extra requirements concerning the AS level which you have or haven't dropped. Also, all offers are conditional, subject to a health check, a CRB check and a Hep B vaccination.

If dentistry is what you want to do, you will make sure that it isn't out of your league, by working so hard that you get grades. Do some work experience, that will give you a good idea. And some direction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kartace
What you need to do is go and do some proper research. People on here won't thank you for asking obvious questions that you can easily find the answer to using google. The entry requirements are basically all the same for the 13 undergraduate schools. AAA with A's in chemistry and biology. Sometimes there are some extra requirements concerning the AS level which you have or haven't dropped. Also, all offers are conditional, subject to a health check, a CRB check and a Hep B vaccination.

If dentistry is what you want to do, you will make sure that it isn't out of your league, by working so hard that you get grades. Do some work experience, that will give you a good idea. And some direction.

Thanks for your reply i did lots of research, on the guradian good university guide i found most enter students with 480 ucas points which is equivilant to 3 A*. whilst on their websites many ask for much less. I'm just worried that 3 As wont be enough and applying will give me little chance of getting in especially if the average ucas points are 480.
Original post by khala
Thanks for your reply i did lots of research, on the guradian good university guide i found most enter students with 480 ucas points which is equivilant to 3 A*. whilst on their websites many ask for much less. I'm just worried that 3 As wont be enough and applying will give me little chance of getting in especially if the average ucas points are 480.

I've just received my 3rd offer and by no means am I an A* student I got pretty average GCSEs and AABB at a-level, I didn't get those offers because of my grades I got them because I was highly motivated to study dentistry so did loads of extra stuff to improve my application.
Reply 4
Original post by khala

Forget grades, thet come because dental students happen to be quite good in school they don't make that much of a difference in the end. The fact that dental students have lots of ucas points when they enter univeristy is a correlation not a causation. That is to say that it just so happens they have high grades, it doesn't neccisarily mean that was why they got the offer. Your offer will more than likley be AAA. The biggest problem is getting an interview then getting an offer.

So what you need to concentrate on is work experience and lots of it. Voluntary work, evidence of working within a team nd evidence of manual dexterixty. Couple that witha good ukcat and personal statement and you have yourself a good chance of getting and interview. Once you get there, it's basically all on the interview. If you mess that up, all the Ucas points and A*s in the world can't save you. You need to nail it.

Alot of people seem to think that just because dental students seem to excel in exams and have lots of ucas points. That this is why they are chosen and how they are selected. The truth is, you don't even have your grades when they're making the offers. All they have are predictions. And i know as well as anyone that these can often just be total fabrications. Just make sure you're predicted AAA and sort the rest of your application out. Everyone has the grades these days so getting lots of ucas point isn't going to give you the edge. Because universities can no longer use it to set applicants apart.

The only university that takes predicted ucas points into consideration during selection at the moment is Barts and the london school of medicine and dentistry. But believe me, forget about the grades. And concentrate one the important things. Get good predictions. A*s if it makes you feel better, but in the end you'll probably only need AAA.
(edited 12 years ago)
There's a little thing called UCAS which you might find helpful..
Reply 6
Original post by Patchey1000
I've just received my 3rd offer and by no means am I an A* student I got pretty average GCSEs and AABB at a-level, I didn't get those offers because of my grades I got them because I was highly motivated to study dentistry so did loads of extra stuff to improve my application.

Wow thats really helpful. if you dont mind me asking where did you get offers to? I don't know why but my school teachers tell me as long as you get the grades you will get an offer so i am quite nervous about my grades.
Reply 7
Original post by Kartace
Forget grades, thet come because dental students happen to be seem to excel in exams and have lots of ucas points. That this is why they are chosen and how they are selected. The truth is, you don't even have your grades when they're making the offers. All they have are predictions. And i know as well as anyone that these can often just be total fabrications. Just make sure you're predicted AAA and sort the rest of your application out. Everyone has the grades these days so getting lots of ucas point isn't going to give you the edge. Because universities can no longer use it to set applicants apart.

The only university that takes predicted ucas points into consideration during selection at the moment is Barts and the london school of medicine and dentistry. But believe me, forget about the grades. And concentrate one the important things. Get good predictions. A*s if it makes you feel better, but in the end you'll probably only need AAA.

I do think grades have some importance though otherwise they wouldn't ask you to state your grades and reject you if you didn't get the grades but your right in some ways because i think they both play a part and to be honest most people can lie on their personal statements but they cant lie about their grades so i think in some aspects grades are slightly more important. But thanks for your help and insight. If you dont mind me asking which london universities ask for ucas points?
Reply 8
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
There's a little thing called UCAS which you might find helpful..

But im not asking for that!:tongue: im wandering what grades most people get offers for cause some state any grades between AAA-BBB which is a pretty large gap in my opinion.
Reply 9
Check the university websites. They will usually stipulate the grades they require or the offers they typically give. IINM, most offers will be AAA-AAB
Reply 10
Original post by khala
Wow thats really helpful. if you dont mind me asking where did you get offers to? I don't know why but my school teachers tell me as long as you get the grades you will get an offer so i am quite nervous about my grades.

Your teacher is wrong, they nearly always are when it comes to dental applications. There is loads of false information and myths out there about the dental application system. You'll learn this :tongue: Honestly, the people on this forum know best. Most of us havealready been through it. Some, more than once. And if you check Patchey's sig you'll see where he'd had offers from. I think it's Kings, Cardiff and Sheffield or something?

I wont say don't be nervous about your grades, because obviously you need to get AAA which isn't exactly easy. But...they won't offer you anything over that....so stop stressing. :smile: honestly. It's about you as a person, they don't want academic freaks with zero personality and empathy to be treating people. The biggest thing is showing that you have what it takes in terms of compassion and interpersonal skills. Alot of interviewers use a technique where they imagine you as their dentist and ask themselves "would i want this person to treat me?" A level grades certainly don't come into play in that situation.

EDIT : Just seen your other reply, what i've written above should explain why i'm right. Also...you can try and lie on your personal statement if you like...but good luck when it comes to the interview. And A level grades are only important untill you meet the entry requirements, obviously if you get below that they wouldn't even bother looking at your application. But thats just common sense. GCSEs are slightly different depending on where you apply, but as a general rule, if you have at least the entry requirements you can make up for poor GCSEs with the rest of you application, especially UKCAT.

Also AAA-BBB i don't know what websites you've been looking at. If you think you're going to get an offer for BBB then i think you'll be supprised. Some universities do give out lower offers for various special reasons. If they love you at interview for example or if you apply via an access scheme or if you have exceptional circumstances. But other than that, it'll be AAA. Up untill last year the only uni left offering AAB was glasgow. But i think this year it's going to be AAA across the whole of the UK.

Oh yeah, and i told you which london uni takes Ucas points into account ... "barts and the london school of medicine and dentistry" it's part of Queen Mary University of london
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Kartace
Your teacher is wrong, they nearly always are when it comes to dental applications. There is loads of false information and myths out there about the dental application system. You'll learn this :tongue: Honestly, the people on this forum know best. Most of us havealready been through it. Some, more than once. And if you check Patchey's sig you'll see where he'd had offers from. I think it's Kings, Cardiff and Sheffield or something?

I wont say don't be nervous about your grades, because obviously you need to get AAA which isn't exactly easy. But...they won't offer you anything over that....so stop stressing. :smile: honestly. It's about you as a person, they don't want academic freaks with zero personality and empathy to be treating people. The biggest thing is showing that you have what it takes in terms of compassion and interpersonal skills. Alot of interviewers use a technique where they imagine you as their dentist and ask themselves "would i want this person to treat me?" A level grades certainly don't come into play in that situation.

EDIT : Just seen your other reply, what i've written above should explain why i'm right. Also...you can try and lie on your personal statement if you like...but good luck when it comes to the interview. And A level grades are only important untill you meet the entry requirements, obviously if you get below that they wouldn't even bother looking at your application. But thats just common sense. GCSEs are slightly different depending on where you apply, but as a general rule, if you have at least the entry requirements you can make up for poor GCSEs with the rest of you application, especially UKCAT.

Also AAA-BBB i don't know what websites you've been looking at. If you think you're going to get an offer for BBB then i think you'll be supprised. Some universities do give out lower offers for various special reasons. If they love you at interview for example or if you apply via an access scheme or if you have exceptional circumstances. But other than that, it'll be AAA. Up untill last year the only uni left offering AAB was glasgow. But i think this year it's going to be AAA across the whole of the UK.

Oh yeah, and i told you which london uni takes Ucas points into account ... "barts and the london school of medicine and dentistry" it's part of Queen Mary University of london

Thanks for all your help, and no i would never lie on my personal statement since i already did workexperience during my summer holidays. besides that im too scared too :tongue: I heard AAA-BBB from Kings college. I did work experience at the hospital ENT department, at a care home,children nursery/playgoup for disabled children and dentist. do you think that is enough? What other advice is important to know if your applying to dentistry and thanks again :biggrin: Also i feel really bad cause i keep asking questions but did you get any offers with your grades cause i just checked your profile :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by khala
But im not asking for that!:tongue: im wandering what grades most people get offers for cause some state any grades between AAA-BBB which is a pretty large gap in my opinion.

Only KCL accept AAA-BBB, and those who get BBB are normally those who go to really crap schools and are doing well in comparison to their peers.
So if I was on ABB-BBB and went to a really crap school where ABB-BBB was in the top 10% of results, KCL would consider you.
Reply 13
Original post by khala
Thanks for all your help, and no i would never lie on my personal statement since i already did workexperience during my summer holidays. besides that im too scared too :tongue: I heard AAA-BBB from Kings college. I did work experience at the hospital ENT department, at a care home,children nursery/playgoup for disabled children and dentist. do you think that is enough? What other advice is important to know if your applying to dentistry and thanks again :biggrin: Also i feel really bad cause i keep asking questions but did you get any offers with your grades cause i just checked your profile :wink:

Hey, yeah those grades have all changed, and so has my UKCAT. But yeah, i've got an offer for Barts and the london school of medicine and dentistry, so i think i'll be going there.

As for that work ex. It sounds good, try and get some time in a dental lab. They usually let you get a bit more hands on and some let you make stuff to take away with you. You can show this at your interview then. They'll like that. Kings college are special, if they love you at interview, they'll make you a lower offer. But that means you have to get an interview first. And to do that, you need to be predicted AAA and have an awsome application and interview. So it's a bit more complicated than at first glance. Remember you can never have too much work experience. I would say your voluntary is good, more dental related work ex needed. Hospital dentistry, orthodontics and dental lab.
That should help you nicely.
Reply 14
Original post by Kartace
Hey, yeah those grades have all changed, and so has my UKCAT. But yeah, i've got an offer for Barts and the london school of medicine and dentistry, so i think i'll be going there.

As for that work ex. It sounds good, try and get some time in a dental lab. They usually let you get a bit more hands on and some let you make stuff to take away with you. You can show this at your interview then. They'll like that. Kings college are special, if they love you at interview, they'll make you a lower offer. But that means you have to get an interview first. And to do that, you need to be predicted AAA and have an awsome application and interview. So it's a bit more complicated than at first glance. Remember you can never have too much work experience. I would say your voluntary is good, more dental related work ex needed. Hospital dentistry, orthodontics and dental lab.
That should help you nicely.

Wow congratulations you must have done really and tried very hard to be given an offer at those schools. Thanks for your advice i will take them into account before and try and get work experience and a dentistry.
Reply 15
Original post by dental_implant
Only KCL accept AAA-BBB, and those who get BBB are normally those who go to really crap schools and are doing well in comparison to their peers.
So if I was on ABB-BBB and went to a really crap school where ABB-BBB was in the top 10% of results, KCL would consider you.

To be honest the school i go to is pretty bad but probably not bad enough to be offered a place for 3 Bs
Exactly and their work experience is also important while selecting them. Have a look at one of the best experienced dentist's profile: freedentistfinder.com/JOSEPH-SOLIMAN-General%20Dentistry-De%20nt%20i%20s%20t%20-V%20al%20l%20ej%20o-CA%20-276242----.profile
Reply 17
Hi i got A* A* Aa in my a levels however it took my three years to get them results. Have i got a chance of getting dentistry?
Reply 18
Original post by FareedP
Hi i got A* A* Aa in my a levels however it took my three years to get them results. Have i got a chance of getting dentistry?

Hi but no need to give me a neg. But on your question you have a good chance of getting into dentistry. As most universities as for A* AA for students who have taken alevels in 3 yrs just make sure you apply to unis that allow students who have taken the exam in 3 years. By the way what were the subjects you got those grades in? also what is your UKCAT if its above 650 you have a good chance.
Original post by khala
Hi but no need to give me a neg. But on your question you have a good chance of getting into dentistry. As most universities as for A* AA for students who have taken alevels in 3 yrs just make sure you apply to unis that allow students who have taken the exam in 3 years. By the way what were the subjects you got those grades in? also what is your UKCAT if its above 650 you have a good chance.

which universities do you know of that allow you to study dentitsry after doing a-levels for 3 years? all of the ones ive seen/ wrote to said they dont accept resits :/

Latest