The Student Room Group

Studying Dental Nursing and then moving onto Graduate Dentistry

Hi guys, Im a year 12 students who did quite badly in their year 12 mocks and I'm looking at alternative routes. The route which I am currently looking at right now is going to study Dental Nursing at Northampton for two years after College and then from there going into Graduate Dentistry. I currently study Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Please could anybody give me some advice or direction into if this is a good plan or not? Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by unknown_1219
Hi guys, Im a year 12 students who did quite badly in their year 12 mocks and I'm looking at alternative routes. The route which I am currently looking at right now is going to study Dental Nursing at Northampton for two years after College and then from there going into Graduate Dentistry. I currently study Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Please could anybody give me some advice or direction into if this is a good plan or not? Much appreciated :smile:

Hey there i think u replied to my other post :smile: im also y12 student doing bio chem and maths and i'm no expert but I'd say your plan is decent. though have you considered a foundation year? That way you can get into good universities with lower requirements as you said you didn't do too well in your mocks. It does mean you do an extra year but it is something to consider if you haven't already. Doing a foundation year also means that you dont have to do Dental Nursing and THEN dentistry.
Reply 2
Original post by laazzzydinosaur
Hey there i think u replied to my other post :smile: im also y12 student doing bio chem and maths and i'm no expert but I'd say your plan is decent. though have you considered a foundation year? That way you can get into good universities with lower requirements as you said you didn't do too well in your mocks. It does mean you do an extra year but it is something to consider if you haven't already. Doing a foundation year also means that you dont have to do Dental Nursing and THEN dentistry.

Hiya, thank you for your advice and I hope mine helped you :smile:. Yes I have considered it but I am just considering if worse comes to worst what to do. The only unattractive thing about doing graduate Dentistry is that I will have to pay tuition fees without any sort of loan. Thats why I am considering the foundation year over that.
Hiya, thank you for your advice and I hope mine helped you :smile:. Yes I have considered it but I am just considering if worse comes to worst what to do. The only unattractive thing about doing graduate Dentistry is that I will have to pay tuition fees without any sort of loan. Thats why I am considering the foundation year over that.

Yep it did :h:
I get what you’re saying about the foundation year so i think the best option would be to do dental nursing and then go into graduate dentistry. Though if your ultimate goal is to be a dentist wouldn’t it be better to do a degree in dental hygiene and therapy (which has much lower requirements that dentistry) and then go onto dentistry as they’re more linked. That is, if your university choices offer it. I’m not sure if I’m making sense but hope it helps.

Also about your predicted grades not sure about how your school works but if they’re low, some schools allow you to sit more tests to boost your grades so if you haven’t already, you could ask your teachers. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4

I was in a similar position in year 12 and my predicted grades weren't great. I asked my 6 form if there was anything I could do to improve but they refused (grades were ABC or BBC I forgot) Id advise you to ask too. If they don't improve your grades like my 6 form I decided to leave sit entrance exams for another 6 form and got better predicted grades A*A*A grades. If your not comfortbale with leaving then I would say a gap year is better than graduate entry as graduate entry is more competitive to get into. Just try your hardest to get the best grades ideally AAA and above
Reply 5
Original post by drdent
I was in a similar position in year 12 and my predicted grades weren't great. I asked my 6 form if there was anything I could do to improve but they refused (grades were ABC or BBC I forgot) Id advise you to ask too. If they don't improve your grades like my 6 form I decided to leave sit entrance exams for another 6 form and got better predicted grades A*A*A grades. If your not comfortbale with leaving then I would say a gap year is better than graduate entry as graduate entry is more competitive to get into. Just try your hardest to get the best grades ideally AAA and above

Hey thanks for the reply :smile:, yeah thats the main plan. I want to smash out A-Levels and hopefully get AAB as a minimum and then apply to Dentistry with the banked grades.

Quick Reply

Latest