The Student Room Group

Ways into dentistry while already at uni

So I’m a first year biomed student at Anglia Ruskin university. I am really passionate about studying dentistry but 3 years of biomed is a lot. I got PPP (pass) in my BTEC level 3 National extended diploma in applied science but that grade wasn’t enough to get me into dentistry. My studies are a lot better now and I’m getting good grades so far. I really want to transfer to another university so that 2024 sept I can start dentistry. I’ve called all the universities that offer transfers but they only offer it to students who are at that university. I was wondering if there’s any other route to this? Would I be able to start January second semester as a biomed student there, then apply for dentistry? Or wait another 2 years to finish my course. I know it’s complicated but I just really need all the help I can get as I know end of January is the deadline for pretty much everything.
Original post by RoseTaei
So I’m a first year biomed student at Anglia Ruskin university. I am really passionate about studying dentistry but 3 years of biomed is a lot. I got PPP (pass) in my BTEC level 3 National extended diploma in applied science but that grade wasn’t enough to get me into dentistry. My studies are a lot better now and I’m getting good grades so far. I really want to transfer to another university so that 2024 sept I can start dentistry. I’ve called all the universities that offer transfers but they only offer it to students who are at that university. I was wondering if there’s any other route to this? Would I be able to start January second semester as a biomed student there, then apply for dentistry? Or wait another 2 years to finish my course. I know it’s complicated but I just really need all the help I can get as I know end of January is the deadline for pretty much everything.

I'm really unsure but I don't think you can just switch universities halfway through the academic year, you need to wait till the end if year, which might be a bit of a problem depending on how the transfer schemes work...

... but I wouldn't be too discouraged by this. In terms of competitiveness, transfer schemes are second to none. You're literally battling hundreds of other students for like 5 or 10 spots, tops, so you're probably more likely to succeed reapplying after your degree anyway! Still sorry though, I realise this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear :frown:

P.S.: moved your post to the dentistry forum!
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest