The Student Room Group

Why did you put the test tubes in the water bath for 5 mins? (1)

Hey can someone please tell me what they would write for this question as a generic answerr?

Original post by hello1234567

Hey can someone please tell me what they would write for this question as a generic answerr?

Because I momentarily ran out of space to store them on the shelves.

Only kidding, but seriously: you need to be more specific. What's the context? What do the tubes contain? What's the experiment?
Reply 2
So that they have time to reach the temperature of the water baths. If your test tubes had been at 10oC and then dipped them into a water bath of 90oC for only a second, that would not get the test tubes to the correct temperature.
The answer is probably to allow the contents to uniformly reach the desired temperature.

OR: To allow the contents of the tube to melt (if they are a solid)

OR: To ensure all the tubes start at the same temperature

OR (less likely): To kill any bacteria that can't take the heat

But as the previous poster says, we need context.
[Edit: I mean the poster two before me.]
Reply 4
The answer is so that the testubes and the water bath have the same temperature, i.e. equillibriate.
Reply 5
like why would you put a tollens reagent test in a water bath for 5 minutes and why are conditions such as temperature, time important?
Reply 6
Original post by Revd. Mike
Because I momentarily ran out of space to store them on the shelves.

Only kidding, but seriously: you need to be more specific. What's the context? What do the tubes contain? What's the experiment?

Why is it important to heat tollen's reagent in a hot water bath for 5 minutes, and why are the conditions of temperature and time important for the reaction to occur?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending