The Student Room Group

Year 12 the start of everything..... LOL

Well this is my gyg thingy ig
someone said it would be a good idea to make one so i did

PROBABLY GONNA DO 1 POST A DAY I USE THIS A LOT HOPING TO BE ENCOURAGED TO REVISE

Year 12- HALF TERM 1 PROBABLY DAY 15 OF ACTUAL REVISION BUT DAY 0 FOR REVISION IN HOLDAYS

(unserious school 3 diff exam boards)
Subjects- AQA PSYCHOLOGY
EDEXCEL CHEMISTRY
OCR A BIOLOGY

I plan to go into... MEDICINE (such a big shock)

I have a bunch of WEX/ EXTRACURRICULARS
literally doing work experience rn and the first week back i have a placement in a hospital so missing a week of school gonna do catchup next week so im not behind (2 weeks of holiday)
Currently contemplating doing an EPQ - but its not going to be useful to my life so IDK (anyone know any positive that arent lower offer cause for medicine its literally one school)

my gcses were somewhat of a realisation call
not too bad but not amazing or that competitive for medicine

GRADES
2 LOW A*
2 A
5 HIGH B
1 LOW B/HIGH C
(found around 15 med schools 14 5 year courses and 1 6 year course aka foundation year so yay)
+ I am contextual (POSTCODE ONLY) (IK way too much about the application process)

Threads to use when time comes
UCAT motivation - Page 8 - The Student Room (June)
(edited 4 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilysilly_5454
Well this is my gyg thingy ig
someone said it would be a good idea to make one so i did

PROBABLY GONNA DO 2 POSTS A DAY I USE THIS A LOT HOPING TO BE ENCOURAGED TO REVISE

Year 12- HALF TERM 1 PROBABLY DAY 15 OF ACTUAL REVISION BUT DAY 0 FOR REVISION IN HOLDAYS

(unserious school 3 diff exam boards)
Subjects- AQA PSYCHOLOGY
EDEXCEL CHEMISTRY
OCR A BIOLOGY

I plan to go into... MEDICINE (such a big shock)

I have a bunch of WEX/ EXTRACURRICULARS
literally doing work experience rn and the first week back i have a placement in a hospital so missing a week of school gonna do catchup next week so im not behind (2 weeks of holiday)
Currently contemplating doing an EPQ - but its not going to be useful to my life so IDK (anyone know any positive that arent lower offer cause for medicine its literally one school)

my gcses were somewhat of a realisation call
not too bad but not amazing or that competitive for medicine

2 a*s/2 as/5 bs/1 5 (found around 15 med schools 14 5year courses and 1 6year course aka foundation year so yay)
+ i am contextual (IK way too much about the application process)

hiyaaaa :biggrin:!
Original post by emm4nuella
hiyaaaa :biggrin:!

Hey
My Second entry of the day

ONCE IN YEAR 13 - probably will give a more accurate representation as i have no idea what i am actually doing just an idea
Right now year 12 is going okayyy
2 MINI tests for each subject
biology- A (BIOLOGICAL MOLECULES) + A*(CELL STRUCTURE) TOTAL GRADE(A*)
chemistry- A*(ATOMIC STRUCTURE) + E (MOLES (GO OVER)) TOTAL GRADE (B)
psychology- N/A

Day 1
I did work experience with the uni of southampton + REFLECTION (WEX BOOK 1(RED))
Had a meeting with my mentor - ( CANCELLED)
Had a chat with a medical student ( went over weaknesses in my application kinda (more of her telling me what i was doing was already good enough and that we will talk more once i have done the ucat))
Day 2

only 1 post - didnt do much
on holiday for three days so probably wont post

havent done revision - teachers said i should go over content to refresh knowledge so ill do that over weekend as i am not in first week back (hospital placement for a week) - so next week is going to be used to catch up on what they would do during that week so i am not behind

update to be given on saturday
- meeting with mentor on saturday at 6 (idek if ill be avail at that time (me being unserious))
(edited 6 months ago)
DAY 3

- Did not meet with mentor (...) meeting on Wednesday at 2.30 pm

Work experience next week(HOSPITAL) so trying to stay ahead as I start next week (2 week holiday rest one catch up this week for next week) as well

1 hour Psychology done today (situational factors of obedience)
1 hour of biology done today (IDEK what I learned OMDSSS) - i did nucleic acids and went over diff types of RNA + Functions
(MRNA,TRNA,RRNA)

Also watched a personal statement webinar

Any tips would be appreciated regarding Personal statements

CURRENTLY THINKING BOUT MAKING FLASHCARDS WILL UPDATE LATER IF DID
(edited 6 months ago)
DAY 4- post is in regards to 31/10/23 forgot to write it out

Watched some get into medicine content Lol
Also emailed med schools

procrastinated quite a bit
did an hour of psych (dispositional something Adorno) and used flypacademy to go over Obedience
downloaded another study app for flashcards as i havent made any yet and do not want to be behind
did an hour of chemistry - titration experiment prep
DID NO BIOLOGY doing 2 hours tomorrow
DAY 5
emailed med schools
received outline for medical work experience yay

Used FLYP Academy for revision actually pretty decent
did an hour of psych (Freud psychodynamic model)
did two hour of biology - cell cycle, mitosis and meiosis
Went to miss estruch revision YouTube live(pretty interesting)
emailed teachers
(edited 5 months ago)
DAY 6

Wen to future leaders meeting working on my LinkedIn profile

Used FLYP Academy for revision again (really nice for bio and psych)
did an hour of biology - enzymes (anabolic and catabolic)

Actually did a lil relaxation busy next week semi last day of holiday
DAY 7

completely forgot to post

FUN DAY WORK EXPERIENCE AT HOSPITAL

LEARNED ABOUT HEMATOLOGY AND LABS AND GIT TO ASK QUESTIONS AND LEARN WHAT A BIOCHEMIST DOES JUST LOOKING FOR WAYS TO APPLY THIS /REFLECT NOW

DID AROUND 30 FLASHCARDS TODAY NEED TO DO MORE
HAVENT DONE THEM SINCE LIKE THURSDAY LAST WEEK REVISION IN GENERAL TERRIBLE IKR

MISSED MEETING WITH MENTOR AGAINNNNNNN
Day 8

wex day 2 amazing loved the patient interaction

learned about maxfax and trauma and ortho amazing loved it followed a consultant and junior doctor learned to give bad news

procrastination is real i did work last week but need to do some chem and bio hw set laziness is killing me i am busy reflecting but still omdsssssss (WILL POST LATER IF I ATTEMPT TO DO IT)

also found out i am form rep and a mentor at school (happy)

tomorrow meeting with mentor at 9am idk why i did this but lets see if i actually goooo
(edited 5 months ago)
Day 9

I didnt do revision yesterday sooo......

however shadowed more doctors today super fun
i got to ask questions but that just the basic gist of today ngl
Day 10

writing this before i go on day 4/5 of work experience at a hospital
currently doing achool work yayyyyyyyyyyy
i havent done any since last week friday/this monday so im happy

did psychodyanmic model freud -psychology
making my yr 12 captain application
doing well apart to start chemistry homework/coverwork that was techincally due on tuesday lol
Day 11

finished work experience - was really fun but also gave a realistic view of what a career in medicine would be like

made some psychology flashcards
need to do catchup and start an application

heard back from a program i got innnnn super happy
now need to get back in the grove of things just had 3 weeks off school
Day 12

wasnt that good got my psychology test back did decent -expected better
overall i need to work on my revision timetable i got ok in biology but not that well in chem and psych

made some flashcards for bio and psych
went to nhs talk in school

trying not to be demotivated need 3AS to be a decent applicant for medicine gcses already letting me down
(edited 5 months ago)
Day 12

wasnt that good got my psychology test back did decent -expected better
overall i need to work on my revision timetable i got ok in biology but not that well in chem and psych

made some flashcards for bio and psych
went to nhs talk in school

trying not to be demotivated need 3AS to be a decent applicant for medicine gcses already letting me down

Welcome to Grow Your Grades! :smile: It sounds like the main thing you need to work on is your revision strategies - that's good news though, because revising is absolutely a skill you can build. Check out some other Grow Your Grades blogs to see what works for other students and maybe also have a look at the study groups for your subjects: Biology Chemistry and Psychology

Good luck and keep at it - remember slow and steady is the way to go. Looking forward to following your journey :smile:
Original post by Pwca
Welcome to Grow Your Grades! :smile: It sounds like the main thing you need to work on is your revision strategies - that's good news though, because revising is absolutely a skill you can build. Check out some other Grow Your Grades blogs to see what works for other students and maybe also have a look at the study groups for your subjects: Biology Chemistry and Psychology

Good luck and keep at it - remember slow and steady is the way to go. Looking forward to following your journey :smile:

Day 13

Thank you I kinda figured thats what I would Need to do
Took yesterday as a break and started thinking about what I was doing

For example - making flashCards its resourceful but Timeconsuming so switching to pmt flashCards and doing questions in topics every day
Reply 17
Day 13

Thank you I kinda figured thats what I would Need to do
Took yesterday as a break and started thinking about what I was doing

For example - making flashCards its resourceful but Timeconsuming so switching to pmt flashCards and doing questions in topics every day

Hey! I am currently yr 11 and just came across with your posts! I am interested in medicine/dentistry. May I ask if you did any work experiences during y11 as I find it pretty hard because most programmes require you to finish your GCSEs before applying. I have sent a pretty decent amount of emails(with my CV) to local clinics for shadowing but did not receive any responses for most of them. My school also didn't have much support and resources so I am basically on my own and quite desperate...
Original post by mika626
Hey! I am currently yr 11 and just came across with your posts! I am interested in medicine/dentistry. May I ask if you did any work experiences during y11 as I find it pretty hard because most programmes require you to finish your GCSEs before applying. I have sent a pretty decent amount of emails(with my CV) to local clinics for shadowing but did not receive any responses for most of them. My school also didn't have much support and resources so I am basically on my own and quite desperate...

Hi,

Actually I did quite a decent amount Now to be completely honest unless you are 16 in person is super unlikely so what i did was some online work experience like medic mentor however apply for summer schools only a few are open for yr 11 but they are pretty decent i did an online summer school with Plymouth for dentistry (have to meet some eligibility criteria) for 3 day and KCL also offers a lecture program and Newcastle has a mini medical school they usually open later in the year but if you look out for them they are good

Heres a guide feel free to ask me any questions about the application process ik a decent amount:
ALL THE PROGRAMMES I MENTIONED ARE ONLINE BTW - look for in person in yr 12
Mini medical school | Faculty of Medical Sciences | Newcastle University (ncl.ac.uk)- newcastle
Work experience | Medical Schools Council (medschools.ac.uk) - plymouth
Online Medicine and Dentistry Lecture Series - King's College London (kcl.ac.uk)-KCL
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 19
what epq are you doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending