The Student Room Group

CELTA/ certTESOL/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone here ever use dave's ESL cafe? I've had it bookmarked for over a year and randomly browse it from time to time but I wonder how legit some of the ads are..
Reply 61
Original post by smp11
I'm seriously thinking about doing this myself. I'm 25 and currently quite disillusioned with life - I do a job I don't particularly enjoy (I work in HR for a bank and have had my current job for just over a year), though it is decently paid, and all my friends have moved to different places for various reasons. I feel like I'm just working to work, and that I should start using my lack of ties to my advantage rather than suffering the detriment.

In addition, I've always been passionate about languages and always did well in school with them (A* French GCSE, A at A-level; A* English Lit GCSE, A in English Language GCSE). In hindsight I regret not doing French at degree-level (I did Law). I seem to have a natural interest in languages and everything associated with them like dialects and accents.

So I'm looking at doing the CELTA course. There is one that runs in my city in July which I could probably get the time off work for. I just wondered if it would be more beneficial to do it in the country I want to teach in. But then I'm not entirely sure which country this would be - ideally I'd like to do it in Western Europe, e.g. Lisbon, Barcelona, Milan, but would also happily go to Eastern Europe. I'm not particularly well travelled so not sure how I'd adjust to the culture shock of going to the Far East. In terms of salary I'm not that bothered, as long as I have enough to be reasonably comfortable (the equivalent of around £20k on UK terms would be plenty). I could always move into higher paid positions having gained experience.

I just feel that my life is stagnating and here is something that I would be good at, would enjoy, and would also be a lot more fun than I'm having at the moment. If anyone has any hints/tips based on what I've said then feel free to share! I think at the moment I'm just confused about process - what to do and in what order...

Sounds like such a perfect reason and circumstance to do it! What have you really got to lose?

I'm kinda similar in that I've no idea what I want to do after graduating in a few months, except that I love teaching and have a passion for English language and lit. I can't be bothered yet with a full year's masters or PGCE, and I've pretty got the world open to me, so a CELTA and teaching English abroad seems too good an opportunity to turn down.

The adventurer in me wants to go to Argentina/South America. The more sensible part of my head says keep it reasonably near, Europe, so I can get home easily/cheaply. Exciting decisions. :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by mel0n
Does anyone here ever use dave's ESL cafe? I've had it bookmarked for over a year and randomly browse it from time to time but I wonder how legit some of the ads are..

While some of them are very legit, some are a lot less so. You really just need to exercise caution. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. The best thing you can do is if something appeals to you (and doesn't offer to pay you a gazillion pounds in return for 2 hours teaching a month!) drop them an email and see what you get back.

Check out TEFL.com too
Hey, I'm a bit late to this thread but I'd definitely recommend doing a CELTA. I did mine in Krakow, Poland as it was cheaper than doing it in the UK even with flights and accommodation taken into consideration! International House don't operate anymore but my trainers all moved to the British Council and they were awesome and I learnt so much. Since doing my CELTA I've worked at a summer school in the UK. you get about £1200 plus bed and board for a months work, and I taught with the EPIK program in South Korea last year, a CELTA isn't required but you do get a pay rise!!

If you have any Qs about the CELTA or teaching abroad just let me know xxx
Reply 64
Hi S_a!

How was the CELTA in Krakow? Im going in August and im very nervous and excited.

Also do you have any recommendations for somewhere to stay for the month?

Thanks, Sun!
Original post by Sun!
Hi S_a!

How was the CELTA in Krakow? Im going in August and im very nervous and excited.

Also do you have any recommendations for somewhere to stay for the month?

Thanks, Sun!

Are you doing it at the British Council? I didn't do it there but all the trainers are the same so I imagine the course is very similar and it's fabulous! I had one of the best times of my life and met some awesome people.

The International House where I did it offered shared accommodation and I stayed with two other people on the course about 10 minutes walk from the market square, the bedrooms were the biggest I've ever seen and it was in an amazing location (Stefana Batorego Street), another four people shared another house but that was a tram ride away. I've popped some photos of our place under the spoilers. Def ask them about accommodation! If they don't offer anything, which I'd be suprised if they didn't, maybe e-mail a couple of hostels and see if you can get a monthly rate. I stayed at Greg and Toms hostel both times I've been to Krakow and loved it!!

Krakow is a beautiful city so if you haven't been before I'd really reccommend going a few days before the course starts to explore, you won't get much time once it does, although we somehow still managed to go out 4/5 nights a week! The nightlife in Krakow is the best!

I can see I'm completey rambling now so if you have any more questions about Krakow, the course, any help preparing or anything just PM me!
Reply 66
Original post by Sarang_assa
Are you doing it at the British Council? I didn't do it there but all the trainers are the same so I imagine the course is very similar and it's fabulous! I had one of the best times of my life and met some awesome people.

The International House where I did it offered shared accommodation and I stayed with two other people on the course about 10 minutes walk from the market square, the bedrooms were the biggest I've ever seen and it was in an amazing location (Stefana Batorego Street), another four people shared another house but that was a tram ride away. I've popped some photos of our place under the spoilers. Def ask them about accommodation! If they don't offer anything, which I'd be suprised if they didn't, maybe e-mail a couple of hostels and see if you can get a monthly rate. I stayed at Greg and Toms hostel both times I've been to Krakow and loved it!!

Krakow is a beautiful city so if you haven't been before I'd really reccommend going a few days before the course starts to explore, you won't get much time once it does, although we somehow still managed to go out 4/5 nights a week! The nightlife in Krakow is the best!

I can see I'm completey rambling now so if you have any more questions about Krakow, the course, any help preparing or anything just PM me!

Yeah its with the British Council, im very excited. Im staying the weekend either side of the course for exploration and the city looks amazing.

Its good to know you had fun :smile:. Did you mix with people who were living elsewhere well?
The reason I ask is because I have found a single bedroom apartment less than 5 minutes from the main square for not much more than a shared apartment a 20 minute walk away. This aparment looks lovely and is in an old building.
The problem is obviously I wouldn’t want to be lonely for the four week course. What would you recommend?
Original post by Sun!
Yeah its with the British Council, im very excited. Im staying the weekend either side of the course for exploration and the city looks amazing.

Its good to know you had fun :smile:. Did you mix with people who were living elsewhere well?
The reason I ask is because I have found a single bedroom apartment less than 5 minutes from the main square for not much more than a shared apartment a 20 minute walk away. This aparment looks lovely and is in an old building.
The problem is obviously I wouldn’t want to be lonely for the four week course. What would you recommend?

Yeh we all mixed although some of the Polish people had familys so didn't come out as much. If living with your coursemates is an option though I'd definitely do that, it's great being able to pop into their room to ask them questions about an assignment, walk to the school together, walk home together after nights out, some of them might speak Polish too which can be super useful!! Do you know what street the shared apartment is on?
Reply 68
Its right at the far end of Dluga Street, near a mini shopping centre/ market place.
Original post by Sun!
Its right at the far end of Dluga Street, near a mini shopping centre/ market place.

To be honest, that's really not that far away! It's completely up to you but personally I would stay with people and live an extra 15 minutes out! Unless you get in touch with someone else on the CELTA before and get them to split rent on your place closer to the centre maybe? It totally depends on you though!
Reply 70
Original post by Sun!
Hi

Im going to graduate this year and im very intrested in doing a CELTA/ or maybe an i-to-i or similar online and weekend course. Then to teach English abroad.

What would you recommend? The mainly online course is much cheaper, though I have heared that CELTA is far better. Though the £1200 fees are high.

I have no ESL teaching experience though do have some experience of working with children. Would this be bad?

Also would anyone have general advice on TEFL, especially in Asia.

My brother did CELTA and TEFL I think. Definitely TEFL though. He's had no prior teaching experience and is currently in Dubai teaching English at the international school so it may be possible to get into if you really want to do it and yes CELTA fees are high.
Reply 71
Original post by Sarang_assa
To be honest, that's really not that far away! It's completely up to you but personally I would stay with people and live an extra 15 minutes out! Unless you get in touch with someone else on the CELTA before and get them to split rent on your place closer to the centre maybe? It totally depends on you though!

Hmm, I think I will stay there. While I would love to stay in the centre of the Old Town the shared house will be better for me overall plus it is a bit cheaper.
Reply 72
A lot of adverts for jobs that I've seen require x years of teaching experience. Is anyone else finding this a bit of a problem? Seems to make it difficult to graduate and go straight to a CELTA and then to a job in September...
Original post by Joist
A lot of adverts for jobs that I've seen require x years of teaching experience. Is anyone else finding this a bit of a problem? Seems to make it difficult to graduate and go straight to a CELTA and then to a job in September...

Try the EPIK program in South Korea, no experience on CELTA necessary and the pay and benefits are really decent!!
Reply 74
Original post by Joist

I've found this as well :frown: especially in European countries like Germany or Spain where I imagine there is more competition. Is there anywhere specifically you want to teach?
Reply 75
Where do you want to teach?
In Europe it will be difficult to get a job without experience, especially in Western Europe.

Places like South Korea, China, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, Russia and Georgia are easier for those without experience.

Summer Schools in the UK are also quite easy to get into for those with no experience, but obviously they are only in the summer lol.
Reply 76
Original post by xJessx
I've found this as well :frown: especially in European countries like Germany or Spain where I imagine there is more competition. Is there anywhere specifically you want to teach?

Well the dream was Argentina but that's looking very unlikely as a first place. It seems Asia is much more lenient in terms of experience though.

Anyone been/known anyone who has been to teach in Indonesia?
Reply 77
Original post by Joist
Well the dream was Argentina but that's looking very unlikely as a first place. It seems Asia is much more lenient in terms of experience though.

Anyone been/known anyone who has been to teach in Indonesia?

Meeeee. What do you want to know?
Reply 78
Original post by abbyheat
Meeeee. What do you want to know?

Ah nice! Sorry to be so vague, but could you possibly sum up what you did and what you thought of the whole experience? Whereabouts in Indonesia were you?
Reply 79
Original post by Joist
Ah nice! Sorry to be so vague, but could you possibly sum up what you did and what you thought of the whole experience? Whereabouts in Indonesia were you?

I taught English in a private language school. My classes ranged from 3 year old very young learners through to teenagers, adults, business and TOEFL so the whole lot. I love the experience so much I came home to do a degree in English and am starting a PGCE in September so I can carry on teaching!

I was in Jakarta. It is a bit of a dump but in a charming way. Good cities to look at for teaching are Bandung and Yogyakarta, they are both great and a bit less hard work than Jkt.

One thing I will say is that the country as a whole is hard work. Corruption and poverty are rife. Also, immigration have toughened up on their rules. The actual law now is that to teach English you must be from either the UK, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, be over 25 and have a degree in English Lang/Lit. While there are always ways around this and companies willing to bend the rules/pay a bribe to get you a visa, things are getting more strict.

On the whole though, I loved it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending